D&D 5E Too Much Spellcasting in Your D&D? Just Add a Little Lankhmar!

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Can you tell me about the Merlin/Amber approach? I searched for it on this thread, but all I found were people telling you how mean you are to magic-users. And bards. You are very mean to bards.

I'm not mean to bards! I simply accurately categorize them as anathema to life and fun. A bard is the living embodiment of a co-worker saying, "Hot enuff for ya," for all of eternity.

The Amber solution (from @Wolfram stout )
So, for those wanting to limit magic in combat (but not get rid of it completely) I counter-propose The Amber Solution (2nd Amber series by Zelazny which focused on Corwin's son Merlin).

All spells are Rituals. Casters can complete a ritual except the last touches and "Hang" the spell. This reduces the casting time back to the casting time in the book, but Casters can only Hang a number of spells equal to their proficiency bonus plus if they have a familiar they can hang one spell on it.

This allows the caster to cast some spells in combat but not a lot. For me, it is a nice in-between step.

ETA- I call it the Merlin/Amber because this is from the Merlin, not Corwin, series.

dave2008

Legend
I'm not trying to derail you, I was responding to a comment about how I'm someone who want to, as was dismissively described, 'pew pew'.

If your intent is to address an issue, it behooves you to understand the people you're trying to address. Your idea isn't just going to effect blaster magi.

Edit: And with all the bard jokes and tongue in cheek humor, who was to know this was a Dead Serious topic that couldn't be questioned?
I didn't take "pew pew" to be about blasters, just casing magic in general. I think you took it the wrong way (though I imagine this is sorted out later in the thread).

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'm not mean to bards! I simply accurately categorize them as anathema to life and fun. A bard is the living embodiment of a co-worker saying, "Hot enuff for ya," for all of eternity.

The Amber solution (from @Wolfram stout )
So, for those wanting to limit magic in combat (but not get rid of it completely) I counter-propose The Amber Solution (2nd Amber series by Zelazny which focused on Corwin's son Merlin).

All spells are Rituals. Casters can complete a ritual except the last touches and "Hang" the spell. This reduces the casting time back to the casting time in the book, but Casters can only Hang a number of spells equal to their proficiency bonus plus if they have a familiar they can hang one spell on it.

This allows the caster to cast some spells in combat but not a lot. For me, it is a nice in-between step.

ETA- I call it the Merlin/Amber because this is from the Merlin, not Corwin, series.
That's interesting. Would you lose all (or a) hanging spell(s) if concentration is disrupted?

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
One of the nicest things about the Merlin/Amber solution is that it allows a dialable game, like you could add back in cantrips/reaction spells/bonus spells.

Which brings up on of the biggest issues I have with the original proposal; that bonus action spells contribute a lot to rangers. removing bonus action spells is a very strong nerf to rangers.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

dave2008

Legend
What I'm saying is, if you really just don't want people to play spellcasters, don't beat-around-the-bush by putting in these onerous restrictions. Just ban the classes or spells you don't want to see. Or preferably, pick a different game that has less magic usage.
But that is not what the idea is about (no spellcasters),it is about playing in a different way.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
One of the nicest things about the Merlin/Amber solution is that it allows a dialable game, like you could add back in cantrips/reaction spells/bonus spells.

Which brings up on of the biggest issues I have with the original proposal; that bonus action spells contribute a lot to rangers. removing bonus action spells is a very strong nerf to rangers.

Somewhere in the thread (before it got sidetracked into various people arguing with the premise), this came up.

To be honest, if this was done then-
a. I'd look to have a spell-less ranger. Which would be my preference, anyway, for the setting.
b. I'd have to think about the paladin. It would be borderline unfair to allow them to continue to convert spells to smites if other classes can't use combat spells.

Again, that's why the original idea needed feedback. Ideally, this is done with as few rules as possible.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
b. I'd have to think about the paladin. It would be borderline unfair to allow them to continue to convert spells to smites if other classes can't use combat spells.
Maybe let all spellcasters do it?

Paladins keep their smite for melee attacks.
Clerics can convert spell slots into healing touch (think: smite, but heals allies instead of damages enemies)
Druids can convert spell slots into wild shapes maybe?
Wizards can convert spell slots into elemental strikes (reskinned smite, now with elemental goodness)
Warlocks can convert spell slots into hexes (like smites, but assigns status conditions like Blinded or Stunned instead of direct damage)
If you absolutely must play a bard for some reason, maybe they can swap spell slots for inspiration?
And so forth. Just spitballing here.

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
This makes Sorcerer with Quicken Spell by far the most powerful casters.
It makes the Metamagic Adept feat one of the best feats in the game, too.

It makes the wand of magic missiles the new must-have wizard item, too, instead of wand of the war mage. In fact, all wands become a LOT more important in the game since they can be activated with an Action. Wand of fireballs, wand of lightning bolts, wand of webs...

Potions of healing
are always nice to have, but they become downright critical.

It makes the ring of spell storing incredibly important, too.

Scrolls of protection are going to be much more important than spell scrolls, finally. And if your DM is generous to allow an exception for spell scrolls, so that they can be cast as an Action, they'll get a lot more use in the game (instead of just languishing in someone's Haversack until they have enough downtime to scribe them into their spellbooks.)

And so on.

Remove ads