Top 10 RPGs on Steam (Stardew Valley is #3, Baldur's Gate is #4)

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I noticed that as well, and with Stardew Valley sharing the list with Baldur's Gate, I just wasnt sure how I wanted to parse the discussion going forward. :D
Heh, I know right? I'm glad we've managed to avoid the "Stardew Valley isn't a real RPG!!!" vs. "Baldur's Gate 3 is 5E garbage!!!" stuff.

So far.

MarkB

Legend
I've never played it, but yeah--that does sound accurate.

I've played half of the Top Twelve: Elden Ring, Stardew Valley, Baldur's Gate 3, Horizon Zero Dawn CE, Borderlands 3, and Elder Scrolls Online. (Though, to be fair: Stardew Valley and BG3 are the only ones that I've played for more than an hour. I've logged almost 100 hours in BG3 so far, and over 2000 hours in SDV.)
I've put a lot of hours into Elden Ring, but the Soulsborne playstyle ultimately doesn't click for me, and I quit out somewhere over halfway through.

I've played through the whole of Horizon Zero Dawn several times on PS4 and PS5. Amazing game, with really compelling story and worldbuilding.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I've put a lot of hours into Elden Ring, but the Soulsborne playstyle ultimately doesn't click for me, and I quit out somewhere over halfway through.
You got a lot further than I did; I quit before I could even finish the intro. When I realized that the boss battles were going to use that arena-based, Dark Souls/Monster Hunter style, I was really disappointed. When I'm playing an RPG, I enjoy turn-based combat the most (BG3, most classic JRPGs), and I don't mind click repetition combat scenes (Skyrim, Diablo) or 2D platformer (Stardew Valley). But I really don't care for Dark Souls, where I have to watch the animation for subtle hints and then execute a perfectly-timed reaction, dying over and over again until I get it right and the game finally lets me advance to the next scene.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Sometimes I'm able to control my base impulses. ;)
It's not like I chose those two games at random when I was writing the title of this thread, either. ;) I picked the ones that I thought would generate the most discussion here on EN World. SDV and BG3 are such polar opposites that when I read the list, my brain made that record-scratch noise you hear in cartoons.

MarkB

Legend
You got a lot further than I did; I quit before I could even finish the intro. When I realized that the boss battles were going to be arena-based, Dark Souls/Monster Hunter style, I was really disappointed. When I'm playing an RPG, I enjoy turn-based combat the most (BG3, most classic JRPGs), and I don't mind click repetition combat scenes (Skyrim, Diablo). But I really don't care for Dark Souls, where I have to watch the animation for subtle hints and then execute a perfectly-timed reaction, dying over and over again until I get it right and the game finally lets me advance to the next scene.
I knew what I was getting into, so had my expectations tempered. That said, I went with a pure ranged mage character after being totally unable to get into any melee build, which is where a lot of the game's design focus is. The character wasn't as durable as most, and when I got to a point where a boss opponent could one-shot me and the only way to survive a battle was to perform perfectly and not take a single hit, I just couldn't maintain the patience for it anymore.

Zardnaar

Legend
I own BG3 and Starsew Valley.

Evil dark urge playthrough honor mode lvl 8 Act 2. It's like kicking yourself in the love spuds over and over.

Remove ads