D&D General Top FIVE Monster books

dave2008

Legend
Here Be Dragons - Another completely different take... the creator of this book tried to faithfully recreate fantasy creatures as they were imagined by medieval writers and in folklore - and the results will eat your party's face. If you want to give a jaded group of gamers a whole new world of medieval fantasy to explore, this is one you'll want to have in your arsenal as well.
I tried to look this one because the concept sounds fantastic; however, I didn't have any luck. Do you know the publisher or the game system?

dave2008

Legend
1. 13th Age Bestiary: For all the reasons the OP mentioned. Read it cover to cover which I rarely do for monster books.
I have heard many tales about how great this book is so I purchased it. However, I was completely underwhelmed, it just didn't do much for me. I even tried to look through it again recently, but no dice. I just don't see what people love about it.

To clarify, I don't play 13th Age so that may be a reason; however, at least 60% of the RPG monster books I own i don't play those systems, so that is nothing new for me.

Arilyn

Hero
I have heard many tales about how great this book is so I purchased it. However, I was completely underwhelmed, it just didn't do much for me. I even tried to look through it again recently, but no dice. I just don't see what people love about it.

To clarify, I don't play 13th Age so that may be a reason; however, at least 60% of the RPG monster books I own i don't play those systems, so that is nothing new for me.
For me it's the flavour and plot hooks.
13th Age is quirky. I love the game, but it's approach is not for everyone. 😁

dave2008

Legend
For me it's the flavour and plot hooks.
13th Age is quirky. I love the game, but it's approach is not for everyone. 😁
I'll definitely look through it again, but I just don't remember liking the flavor. Plot hooks, I honestly don't remember, if they were tide to 13age setting they probably didn't mean much to me.

JeffB

Legend
For those who reminiscing about the 2E Monstrous Compendium, AND the 2E Monstrous Manual- Here you can eat your cake and have it too- TLG released the latest print of Monsters & Treasures as

1) A deluxe version hardback

2) As a 3 ring binder with already printed sheets and with PDF files to print out and insert - so you can print them anytime/anyway/any paper you want.

C&C M&T Binder

1074680740.jpg

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
I tried to look this one because the concept sounds fantastic; however, I didn't have any luck. Do you know the publisher or the game system?

Here Be Dragons is published by Evil Beagle Games.

You can find it on Drive Thru RPG easily - just type in "here be dragons 5e" and it will be the first thing on the list.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
1) the Monstrous Compendium series for 2e.

2) 13th Age Bestiary.

3) Monster Manual for 5e, even though I use homebrew stats instead.

4) Tome of Beasts by Kobold Press.

5) Bestiary III from Paizo for Pathfinder

Remove ads