D&D General Top FIVE Monster books

Nebulous

Legend
For those who reminiscing about the 2E Monstrous Compendium, AND the 2E Monstrous Manual- Here you can eat your cake and have it too- TLG released the latest print of Monsters & Treasures as

1) A deluxe version hardback

2) As a 3 ring binder with already printed sheets and with PDF files to print out and insert - so you can print them anytime/anyway/any paper you want.

C&C M&T Binder

1074680740.jpg
Wow! How much are those? Sadly my old compendiums were mostly thrown away in college, so I would like to replace them. Oh , i see $50

Stormonu

Legend
1) 2E Monstrous Manual - I do like the number of monsters in the MC, but hated the binder nature. All the classic D&D monsters; the D&D monsters are so ingrained in my psyche that when books or movies depict monsters differently, they feel “wrong” to me.

2) 3.X/Pathfinder Tome of Horrors - you can kill your players by dropping this thing on their foot. Like the book above, it’s a mix of classic and new monsters I wouldn’t want to run a game without for 3E

3) Alien Races - not sure if this is the actual name, but it’s the “Star Wars” bestiary of both creatures and player races for WEG Star Wars.

4) 1E Fiend Folio - so many wonderful and weird monsters from the wild-west days of D&D, and home to some of the best 1E illustrations.

5) Creature Collection (1-3) - the first non-WotC d20 monster books whose quality actually exceeded the 3E monster manuals. Some really creative and unusual monsters within.

If I could, I would give the “worst” title to the Monster Manual IV from 3E. To me, it was an uninspired mess of irredeemable, confused stat blocks.

Nebulous

Legend
1) 2E Monstrous Manual - I do like the number of monsters in the MC, but hated the binder nature. All the classic D&D monsters; the D&D monsters are so ingrained in my psyche that when books or movies depict monsters differently, they feel “wrong” to me.

2) 3.X/Pathfinder Tome of Horrors - you can kill your players by dropping this thing on their foot. Like the book above, it’s a mix of classic and new monsters I wouldn’t want to run a game without for 3E

3) Alien Races - not sure if this is the actual name, but it’s the “Star Wars” bestiary of both creatures and player races for WEG Star Wars.

4) 1E Fiend Folio - so many wonderful and weird monsters from the wild-west days of D&D, and home to some of the best 1E illustrations.

5) Creature Collection (1-3) - the first non-WotC d20 monster books whose quality actually exceeded the 3E monster manuals. Some really creative and unusual monsters within.

If I could, I would give the “worst” title to the Monster Manual IV from 3E. To me, it was an uninspired mess of irredeemable, confused stat blocks.

That would be a fun thread; Top Five Worst Monster Manuals.

Even for someone like me, for whom there can never be enough monster books, the 3e MMIV was a serious disappointment.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
Monster Vault and Monster Vault: Threats of the Nentir Vale (4e D&D)

These probably won't make anybody else's lists. They were late additions to 4th edition towards the end of its run. They didn't really add anything new or innovative to the system. Instead, they offered a "corrected", more simplified approach to the game system's maths and mechanics, which was part of the reconfiguration process introduced by the Essentials products. Regardless, these two items still had a lot to offer.

For starters, each boxed set came with a complete set of full-color, double-sided tokens for every monster and npc listed in their respective books. Considering the emphasis of using minis and maps for 4e, it was surprising (disappointing?) that this wasn't done more often. To my knowledge, no other "monster" book has offered this as part of the original product. (e.g. Paizo offers pawns for each book as an additional purchase, not part of one). I could be wrong, but not for any official DnD product, now or then.

The content itself was pretty standard fare. Hundreds of entries for commonly used monsters and adversaries you might encounter in a typical D&D setting. In fact, there were very few new or original concepts included in these books. What was unique, however, was seeing multiple entries of variant monsters with different roles and designs that complimented each other, providing new ways to surprise even the most jaded players with unpredictable encounters of familiar monsters.

For example, goblins no longer had stock abilities or stats. Stealthy blackblades complimented brutish skullcleavers who defended magic hexers while minions swarmed their enemies. Each had specific strengths and weaknesses, even though they were all goblins.

Threats of Nentir Vale took things a step further by creating unique organizations and personalities for their default sandbox setting. In essence, the book was as much a campaign toolbox for DMs wanting to run games within that area. It was such a fine balance of crunch and fluff.

dave2008

Legend
Monster Vault and Monster Vault: Threats of the Nentir Vale (4e D&D)

These probably won't make anybody else's lists. They were late additions to 4th edition towards the end of its run. They didn't really add anything new or innovative to the system. Instead, they offered a "corrected", more simplified approach to the game system's maths and mechanics, which was part of the reconfiguration process introduced by the Essentials products. Regardless, these two items still had a lot to offer.

For starters, each boxed set came with a complete set of full-color, double-sided tokens for every monster and npc listed in their respective books. Considering the emphasis of using minis and maps for 4e, it was surprising (disappointing?) that this wasn't done more often. To my knowledge, no other "monster" book has offered this as part of the original product. (e.g. Paizo offers pawns for each book as an additional purchase, not part of one). I could be wrong, but not for any official DnD product, now or then.

The content itself was pretty standard fare. Hundreds of entries for commonly used monsters and adversaries you might encounter in a typical D&D setting. In fact, there were very few new or original concepts included in these books. What was unique, however, was seeing multiple entries of variant monsters with different roles and designs that complimented each other, providing new ways to surprise even the most jaded players with unpredictable encounters of familiar monsters.

For example, goblins no longer had stock abilities or stats. Stealthy blackblades complimented brutish skullcleavers who defended magic hexers while minions swarmed their enemies. Each had specific strengths and weaknesses, even though they were all goblins.

Threats of Nentir Vale took things a step further by creating unique organizations and personalities for their default sandbox setting. In essence, the book was as much a campaign toolbox for DMs wanting to run games within that area. It was such a fine balance of crunch and fluff.
Ugh - I completely forgot about those! Monster Vault: Threats to the Nentir Vale is one of the best monster books ever. Can't believe I left it off my list!

Last edited:

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Yeah, Threat to the Nentir Vale is my go to when someone ask what I want of a monster manual.
The same format would be awesome as setting books for 5e. Tome of Foes and Volo were close to the same idea, with many different unit types for giants, orcs, drow, duergar and shadar-kai, but I'd like the same thing for NPC factions and lower CR mobs such as goblins and undeads.

Remove ads