Top Games Played On FG In 2018: D&D, Pathfinder, Savage Worlds

Fantasy Grounds has sent me over some graphs showing the top games played on its virtual tabletop platform throughout the whole of 2018. Unsurprisingly, the top three are D&D 5th Edition (67%), Pathfinder (12%), and Savage Worlds (5%). These are followed by Starfinder, D&D 3.5, Call of Cthulhu, D&D 4E, Star Wars, then Pathfinder 2. The figures are much the same as we've seen previously, with an increase by Starfinder and the appearance of Pathfinder 2 from July.

image002.png

image004.png

Previous stats: 2016 | 2017

Last edited by a moderator:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That certainly explains the big drop, but it was declining every month, which I have a hard time seeing as a good sign.

It's a playtest program. That happens with all playtest programs - tons of people sign up, and a few make it to the end. This isn't the actual game.

Ash Mantle

Adventurer
Wow! 5e added over 19,000 users in a year - that is more than the total users of the next 9 highest games (in Dec. 18). It also increased its share by 3%

I like 5e, but it seems to me the marketing team is doing a pretty darn good job!

Well, 5e has a legitimately well designed and strong ruleset, helped by mostly fun and well written adventures and supplemental products, and also helped by streams and Critical Role. Sometimes, marketing can only go so far.

Warren LaFrance

First Post
As a Hobby we need to get DM's (GM or Story Teller) wanting
to run other games. The cost to buying all the rules
print and digital is a major friction point and certainty makes
it harder for story tellers to want to invest in another games.

Then throw in other expenses in life and well there you go.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I agree with [MENTION=6803572]Kite474[/MENTION] that 5e is drawing a lot of people in to its own circle, but in our experience...it is like a gateway drug.

When we get new people we teach them 5e. Mainly because its our core game and more recently, its what they were looking for.

But after a bit they see, and we introduce, other games. Such as Shadowrun and FateCore.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases