Top Games Played On FG In 2018: D&D, Pathfinder, Savage Worlds

Fantasy Grounds has sent me over some graphs showing the top games played on its virtual tabletop platform throughout the whole of 2018. Unsurprisingly, the top three are D&D 5th Edition (67%), Pathfinder (12%), and Savage Worlds (5%). These are followed by Starfinder, D&D 3.5, Call of Cthulhu, D&D 4E, Star Wars, then Pathfinder 2. The figures are much the same as we've seen previously, with an increase by Starfinder and the appearance of Pathfinder 2 from July.

Fantasy Grounds has sent me over some graphs showing the top games played on its virtual tabletop platform throughout the whole of 2018. Unsurprisingly, the top three are D&D 5th Edition (67%), Pathfinder (12%), and Savage Worlds (5%). These are followed by Starfinder, D&D 3.5, Call of Cthulhu, D&D 4E, Star Wars, then Pathfinder 2. The figures are much the same as we've seen previously, with an increase by Starfinder and the appearance of Pathfinder 2 from July.

image002.png

image004.png

Previous stats: 2016 | 2017

S'mon

Legend
Yet I wonder why nobody ever clamors about WotC not converting their adventure modules (they're Not "ADVENTURE PATHS") to Pathfinder?

Because (a) 5e sells vastly more and (b) there is already a lot of Pathfinder adventures.

5e's strength/attraction is in the system, Pathfinder's strength/attraction is in the adventures, so naturally given the same genre and similar systems it's natural to combine the two, like the 5e Runelords game I restarted on Saturday. :)

Same as it ever was. D&D may be a gateway to other games (in fact, I’m sure it is) but not for everyone. Large numbers of players have never sought out any other RPG throughout D&D’s history.

Yeah, coming to this realization let me finally grok the "competing with its self" narrative regarding campaign settings. For me, back in the day, Planescape was competing with Mage the Ascension for my RPG dollar. For the D&D only player, Planescape was competing with Forgotten Realms. :erm:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Same as it ever was. D&D may be a gateway to other games (in fact, I’m sure it is) but not for everyone. Large numbers of players have never sought out any other RPG throughout D&D’s history.

It doesn't need to be everyone though. A small company can pay its employees very well and make a great profit on a much smaller number of customers. Look at something like Monte Cook Games as an example. It doesn't need D&D figures to give everybody involved a comfortable lifestyle.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads