• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Torches

Water Bob

Adventurer
In movies and novels, which I know are not the most reliable of sources, we surely see torches lineing the corridors of ancient crypts and the stone hallways of massive keeps.

Yet, when I turn to my RPG game book (in many different games), the torch burns for about an hour.

How is it that those two aspects of the torch do not make sense?

Do the torches used to light hallways represent some form of long-burning torch? Is there an acolyte that comes by every 45 minutes to replace the torch (how much is the castle's "light" bill)? And, why is it that these super long burning torches, if they exist, never show up in RPG equipment lists?

Thoughts?

Quickleaf

Legend
Water Bob said:
Thoughts?
The "torches" are really tricked out oil lamps, probably with a 100 hour burn time per gallon of oil (with a modern lamp I'd expect 300+ hours with that much oil, but the olive oil/animal fat/clarified butter/fish oil would probably burn less efficiently and the "torch" would require faster burning for more light).

It wouldn't be nearly as bright as depicted in movies, but you could simply light them for 6 hours a night (depending on season), and each would be housed on a candelabra, in a niche, or hung on the wall with a sconce like set up.

But for an entire castle that would be a lot of oil!

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
The fancy schmancy olympic torch which has liquid fuel and burns about as bright as the movie torches lasts about 20-25 minutes before it needs to be swapped for the next one during a relay.

If you're going for maximum duration at the expense of brightness you might be able to get an hour out of a regular wood-cloth-accelerant torch, but I doubt it.

To light real castles they used candles, firepits, fireplaces, bonfires, lanthorns (basically a protected candle for outside), or rushdips/rushlights (weak light, for about an hour). Or oil lamps which Quickleaf mentioned.

S'mon

Legend
Given that a torch is essentially flaming rags soaked in pitch, it seems unlikely that they would burn for much more than an hour. Lanterns or braziers could burn longer.

Wik

First Post
Well, in reality, you wouldn't see too many torches in hallways and the like - you'd probably carry a candle or something with you. Hell, the churches made candles simply because they could be longer-burning.

So, your movies and novels are kind of less accurate than your gaming supplies - but you can't blame the movies, since lighting is kind of the most important thing in a movie, and torches are a very evocative way to provide said lighting.

If torches are not properly prepared (yes, you need to properly prepare a torch) they won't provide much light, and will only burn for about fifteen minutes. Unfortunately, I know this one for a fact.

See, one night, my friends and I were a little, um, inebriated, and decided we were gonna "go on an adventure". At 2 am. In the middle of a dark rain forest. We decided to make a torch by soaking my t-shirt in naptha (or however you spell it), tying it around a thick log wrapped in dried moss, and heading off into the bush.

Not my smartest moment. I wish I could say we were young and stupid and that we've learned better... but this was last year.

Anyways, long story short - it didn't burn incredibly long, and the light it provided was next to nothing... perhaps five feet of bright illumination, if that. Fire doesn't really provide a whole helluva lot in terms of "bright" illumination, even when it's a roaring campfire.

My view of things is that torches are only good for inside exploration, and then are mostly used by adventurers for the fire, as opposed to the light. If you want bright lights, use a lantern or (if they exist) sun rods.

Water Bob

Adventurer
Anyways, long story short - it didn't burn incredibly long, and the light it provided was next to nothing... perhaps five feet of bright illumination, if that. Fire doesn't really provide a whole helluva lot in terms of "bright" illumination, even when it's a roaring campfire.

Reminds me of that scene in First Blood. Rambo's torch didn't last long, and it wasn't very bright, either.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
It all comes down to the material the torch is made of.

The "adventure torch" is a cheap light source, pitch and rags. Fair light, hard to put out but short life. Can be used as a weapon and cause fear in some animals.

"Wall torches" wax and other material. Has a longer life but light is not as good and really not made for moving around, will go out if waved about.

Vascant

Wanderer of the Underdark
Not many people caught the series on TV "Pimp my Ruins" but those lucky enough to watch the first season learned that contestants are given Everlasting Torches. Now what is happening to your adventures is probably a strange sequence of events because obviously these ruins are being looted once the cameras are turned off. Your are sadly arriving after such events have taken place and the looters are long gone.

Lesson learned, watch the series and be first to loot the ruins and knowing Home Shopping Network they will probably be selling maps to these locations shortly, don't forget to use easy payments. According to my wife they are great and who argues with their wife?

Bullgrit

Adventurer
In D&D3, continual flame cost 50gp and a 2nd-level spell. In the long run, like for 24/7 use, they were cheaper than torches or lanterns.

In previous D&D editions, continual light cost no gold and a 2nd-level spell. Third-level clerics could produce one a day for free.

Bullgrit

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads