TORG: Eternity Who has played it?

Back in the 90's I played Audio Smith a TORG Nile Empire character and loved it. I was excited to hear it was back but my group was happy and content with Eberron. Now they are ready for something new.

So has anyone played the "updated" TORG and how was it?

Fanaelialae

Legend
Back in the 90's I played Audio Smith a TORG Nile Empire character and loved it. I was excited to hear it was back but my group was happy and content with Eberron. Now they are ready for something new.

So has anyone played the "updated" TORG and how was it?
I've read through the game, but haven't played it. IIRC, it seems good, and well designed overall, with plenty of opportunity for adventures. I probably would have tried it by now, but for the fact that getting my group to try a new system is like pulling teeth.

Lem23

Adventurer
It's ok, but to be honest I prefer the original. It's mostly the new card decks for me - the simplicity of just one deck, with everything on the card, was a better fit to my mind than the three separate decks in Eternity. The special stuff (spells, psychic powers, miracles etc) are all now a little too samey for me too - something that put me off Savage Worlds compared to original Deadlands. I'm all for simplifying mechanics, which Eternity does, but you could still have different spells / miracles / psychic powers using the same simplified mechanics, rather than making them all have the same powers. It's still pretty crunchy too, not much less than the original. I'm not that keen on the new experience rules either.

It does do some things better than original (and the simplifications do go some way in the right direction, if not enough for my liking), but overall the feel of Eternity is a step down for me rather than a step forward.

3catcircus

Adventurer
It's ok, but to be honest I prefer the original. It's mostly the new card decks for me - the simplicity of just one deck, with everything on the card, was a better fit to my mind than the three separate decks in Eternity. The special stuff (spells, psychic powers, miracles etc) are all now a little too samey for me too - something that put me off Savage Worlds compared to original Deadlands. I'm all for simplifying mechanics, which Eternity does, but you could still have different spells / miracles / psychic powers using the same simplified mechanics, rather than making them all have the same powers. It's still pretty crunchy too, not much less than the original. I'm not that keen on the new experience rules either.

It does do some things better than original (and the simplifications do go some way in the right direction, if not enough for my liking), but overall the feel of Eternity is a step down for me rather than a step forward.

That, and the fact that I have every one of the 1st edition RPG products, including all of the issues of infiniverse.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
I'm all in on Torg. Both the original and the new version. Here is my quick synopsis of the bigger changes...

OT=Old Torg, NT=New Torg

1. Possibilities aren't used for advancing the character anymore. They are are a renewing resources that is a use-it-or-lose-it source of either helping a die roll or avoiding damage. Now you gain XP which advances the character.

2. In OT you generated a bonus number that added both to the to-hit and the damage values, in NT your bonus number generates only your to-hit value. If you equal the difficulty you just do the base damage of the attack. If you equal Difficulty+5 you add an exploding D6 to the damage value. If you equal Difficulty+10 you add two exploding D6 to the damage value.

3. There are no more K's and O's in the conditions. The combat chart for all the non-attack combat skills (like Maneuver or Taunt) has changed a bit and is simplified.

4. Nippon Tech has been updated to include more of Asia (China specifically) and has an updated metaplot regarding a Resident Evil type outbreak in addition to it's corporate ninja shenanigans.

5. Tharkold is now in from the beginning, it invaded in Russia, the bridge was nuked, and now there is a mad max technodemon fallout area coating much of the area in Russia.

6. The deck of cards is now divided in two, one for the players and one for the GM. There is third deck of cards added in called Cosm cards that let the players do something cosm theme related that adds an obstacle but gives a reward. You only get 1 card per adventure usually. If you want you can add cosm specific cards to the decks to shape the feel of the combats to fit the themes of each place a little more.

7. Players have access to Feats, like DnD. They are fairly powerful and distinguish between the different characters well.

8. The game is streamlined from OT, but still pretty fiddly when compared to DnD5e.

9. Currently they have released the cosm books for Nile Empire, Aysle, and the Living Land. Cyberpapcy is coming soon (they already had the crowdfunding for it), and next in order is Tharkold, Orrorsh, and then finally Pan Pacifica (formerly Nippon Tech)

Torg is my favorite game of all time so please feel free to ask questions if you have any.

Got tons of questions as I am trying to piece it all together. Never GM'd Torg so I never realized how much "Improv" is involved.

And as an after thought..... I would love to see the Critical Role folks run a session of Torg: Eternity and have it on their website

I'm all in on Torg. Both the original and the new version.

Torg is my favorite game of all time so please feel free to ask questions if you have any.

Do you use figures / miniatures? My group likes them and I am trying to do a conversion for basic on foot battles and a system for vehicles.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
I occasionally use minis, but not so much on a grid like in 5e, but instead to represents relative directions and distance between things. That being said you CAN use grid based combat if you like, in fact there are official battlemaps for NT that are gridded.

I have to drag players kicking and screaming out of their DnD mindsets to the Torg "You are a superhero, act like it you wuss" cinematic feel. I feel that ditching the gridded combat helps the players remember that shooting 8 shocktroopers dead in one round because its awesome is a thing they can do when they are picturing in their mind 8 shocktroopers running out of a doorway and getting gunned down rather than seeing 8 minis on the board.

To sum it up....I try to encourage the players to always being thinking of "This would be cool" things to do on their turn rather than thinking in DnD terms of "I move to X square and attack Y". I want them to get to the point where Trick/Taunt/Maneuver is as common as shoot or fireball, because that is what Torg has to offer over DnD.

Feel free to load up a big pile of questions and dump them on me when you get them compiled.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases