D&D 5E Toronexti’s Privacy Guarantee

ZuulMoG

First Post
Toronexti’s Privacy Guarantee

I would like some input on the following spell. I think I have the level set right, as it's more powerful than Mass or Chained Non-Detection, but about the same as Contingency. It's offensive punch comes from the secondary spell, which is triggered by this one.

Toronexti’s Privacy Guarantee

Abjuration
Level Sor/Wiz 8
Components: V, S, MF, additional spell (see text)
Casting time: 10 minutes, plus additional spell (see text)
Range: Touch
Target: One creature or object/level or scryer (see text)
Duration: 24 hours
Saving throw: Will negates (harmless, object), or by secondary spell (see text)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless, object), or by secondary spell (see text)

The warded creature or object becomes impossible to detect with any spell effect of less than 7th level (or any spell-like ability extraordinary ability, or Supernatural power that duplicates such an ability, including psionics) and those of 7th or higher level must penetrate the spell via a contested roll. The caster of the divination targeting a subject of this spell (the scryer) must make a caster level check vs. 15 plus the caster level of the caster of Toronexti’s Privacy Guarantee. Even if this check succeeds, there is still a problem for the scryer, for Toronexti’s Privacy Guarantee allows a second spell to be cast with it, and that spell immediately triggers upon the scryer if they bypass the non-detection effect. The scryer saves at –4 due to his voluntary connection to the magic via attempting to scry the subject.

Only the following spells may be made tandem in this way: Charm person, Touch of Idiocy, Blindness/Deafness, Explosive Runes, Sepia Snake Sigil, Suggestion (set at time of casting), Fire Trap, Charm Monster, Phantasmal Killer, Bestow Curse, Fear, Feeblemind, any Symbol, Eyebite, Insanity, or Mordenkainen’s Sword. Sigils, Runes, Traps, and Symbols are automatically triggered by the act of beating Toronexti’s Privacy Guarantee.

This spell may not be made permanent, nor may any spell triggered by this one be made permanent even if its description says it can be normally. The material focus is a sheet of lead inscribed with silver-inlaid runes of abjuration, dusted with powdered diamond costing 1,000gp to make. It may be reused.

(There's been a lot of scrying of the party in our campaign, and frankly Toronexti is getting sick of it...)

Last edited:

genshou

First Post
Try this one:

Mordenkainen's private sanctum, a 5th-level Sor/Wiz Abjuration, which you can find in the Dungeons & Dragons accesory Tome and Blood: A Guidebook to Wizards and Sorcerers.

Casting Time: 10 min
Area: 30-ft. cube/level (S)
Duration: 24 hours

The spell prevents those outside from seeing inside with normal vision or darkvision, and sound cannot penetrate the barrier either way. Macical scrying or Divination spells cannot penetrate the protected area, and an arcane eye can't get inside.

I'm afraid I can't write up the spell itself here for copyright reasons, so you'll have to pick up a copy of the book to see it in full detail. It's a good book overall, though. Chock full of other useful spells and other things that pertain to Sorcerers and Wizards. *Remembers the time his sorcerer cast spiritwall right into seven soldiers of Hextor, and since the wall spell doesn't let you choose to avoid it when cast right on you, and has a high save DC, all but one (the one who wasn't 1st-level) suffered 1 negative level and thus died a horrible death :]*

ZuulMoG

First Post
Hmm, you'd think I'd have noticed it by now, given how long I've owned a copy of Tome & Blood...

Still, it seems wrong that mere 5th level magic could keep out high-level divinations. Besides, just closing the blinds ain't good enough, Toronexti wants BLOOD... One ambush too many or something...

Remove ads