Total Powers Known?

If I'm understanding this new "powers" thing correctly, at level one you have 2/1/1/0 (at-will, encounter, daily, utility), and by level 30 that has only improved to 2/4/4/7.

So clerics have a max of 17 prayers, wizards have a max of 17 spells, etc?! (or less since they probably also have a racial power!!!)

That's lamer than a 3rd edition sorcerer.

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
That's just combat and utility powers. Rituals seem to fill a lot of gaps.

That said, it's all about resource management. If every class gets access to all (or even 3/4) of their encounter/utility/daily powers, then what incentive is there to use powers at crucial moments?

The lists looked piddly to me too, but remember also that you never run out of at-wills (some of which are very good) and there should be a certain level of resoruce management.

That said, I could see a paragon or epic tier feat that lets you gain an extra power slot of a given type.

phloog

First Post
Yick

Okay...that's not a very well-thought-out appraisal.

Yick....wow...not much better...okay, let me just say this. This is NOT the 'evolutionary' change mentioned. Are wizards unbalanced in 3e? Maybe, but having a spellbook full of stuff is a defining characteristic for me...turning that into 'yes, spellbooks of rituals still exist, but anyone can use them' is a revolution.

So at 30th level you can do 17 different spells without pulling out a book or scroll?

Not only is that revolutionary to an extreme, but it also seems like after 30 levels of play with the same (or a small-but-growing subset of the) small list of powers, you might get a bit bored.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
phloog said:
Yick

Yick....wow...not much better...okay, let me just say this. This is NOT the 'evolutionary' change mentioned. Are wizards unbalanced in 3e? Maybe, but having a spellbook full of stuff is a defining characteristic for me...turning that into 'yes, spellbooks of rituals still exist, but anyone can use them' is a revolution.

So at 30th level you can do 17 different spells without pulling out a book or scroll?

Not only is that revolutionary to an extreme, but it also seems like after 30 levels of play with the same (or a small-but-growing subset of the) small list of powers, you might get a bit bored.

Your power list isn't static...you can swap out for new powers almost every level, I believe.

Cheesepie

First Post
Also, for wizards, whenever they get to pick another daily or utility spell, they actually get to pick two and put them in your spellbook, and prepare the normal amount when you take an extended rest. However, you can't prepare a spell more than once.

I can't remember if you actually need your spellbook to prepare daily/utility spells, but I would imagine so.

Vendark

First Post
Cheesepie said:
Also, for wizards, whenever they get to pick another daily or utility spell, they actually get to pick two and put them in your spellbook, and prepare the normal amount when you take an extended rest. However, you can't prepare a spell more than once.

I can't remember if you actually need your spellbook to prepare daily/utility spells, but I would imagine so.

And the Expanded Spellbook feat lets wizards pick a third daily each time they get a new one. So a wizard can know closer to 25 spells, plus as many rituals as they can buy.

Counterspin

First Post
phloog said:
Yick

So if you find 17 powers boring I presume you only played casters inn 3e? Yes, casters are now less flexible. Yes, non casters are now far far more flexible. Given that the wizard's extreme power was based on his flexibility, that was exactly what needed to be done for balance. Add on a healthy heaping of niche protection by making things like knock 10 minute rituals, and bang,everything looks way better.

Besides, you still get your spell book, and you get to swap out dailies at least, so there is some remnant of the old system.

Remove ads