D&D 5E Toxicity in the Fandom

I will attribute that to your limited experience and acknowledge that you may think it's true.
And yet I'm pretty sure I'm considerably more familiar with the left, the use of the term "woke" and McWhorter and his views than you are. I feel like a WoD player being told how much the Storyteller system sucks by a guy who has never played WoD, just heard it described one time.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I mean, I don't see anyone under 40 calling themselves "woke" unless they've had the label stuck to them by detractors, and are using it ironically.

I particularly don't see anyone saying "You're not woke, so you're a bad person!", that's such a hilariously antediluvian thing to say. Like there's a "Wokehammer" lady (who seems very nice and a little motherly in videos, not what you'd expect), but she doesn't go around saying "UR NOT WOKE!!!" nor did she call herself that until so many people attempted to insult her by calling her "woke".
Then you have not been paying attention. Vox has a pretty good overview of it here: How being "woke" lost its meaning

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Virtually nobody describes themselves as woke at all except to point out they've been accused of it.

Um...
This is Congresswoman Marcia Fudge in 2018:

1659454506865.png

And yet I'm pretty sure I'm considerably more familiar with the left, the use of the term "woke" and McWhorter and his views than you are. I feel like a WoD player being told how much the Storyteller system sucks by a guy who has never played WoD, just heard it described one time.
Remarkably disrespectful. All of that in response to my very respectful comments to you.

Thanks for that. We're done here.

I think the trajectory of 'woke' is: Black slang --> ironic Black slang (according to Jane Costin and that guy on Atlanta, at least) --> ironic progressive slang --> conservative pejorative --> progressive slang (reclaimed pejorative).

But don't quote me on it. Gotta check with my linguist fiends.
That's definitely the trajectory I've seen though I'd say it's ironic before and after conservative usage. That's why I kept specifying if they're under 40 it's ironic usage - i.e. reclaimed because it was used on them so much, just like "queer" or the no-r n-word.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I think the trajectory of 'woke' is: Black slang --> ironic Black slang (according to Jane Costin and that guy on Atlanta, at least) --> ironic progressive slang --> conservative pejorative --> progressive slang (reclaimed pejorative).

But don't quote me on it. Gotta check with my linguist fiends.

I am not sure of the use of "ironic" in this context, but that seems reasonable enough.

Remove ads