• TPK

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • Imprison

Votes: 31 58.5%
  • You're History's Worst DM

Votes: 3 5.7%

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
If I knew the players well enough, I'd be inclined to do whichever would be most satisfying for them (not forgetting the DM is a player, too, of course). Different strokes for different folks, and all that.

Alternatively:
Read the following boxed text aloud:
"In a bright flash of light, Sir Lancelot appears on a flying golden lion and slays all the bad guys! He flashes a winsome smile at your beaten and bloodied party, then gallops off into the sunset! Huzzah!"

Reynard

Legend
I'd also want to know why it is likely to be a TPK.

If the players are apt to die due to things that they could not have reasonably foreseen, then they get captured instead.
Long story short, they allowed two separate enemies to escape, are extremely low on resources (and have even lost one party member) and are planning on taking a long rest right next to the unsecured teleportation circle leading to the BBEG lair. They have convinced themselves through a circular argument between players that the bad guys will lay in wait for them to come through, ignoring the fact that the second escapee knows they are in their weakest possible state and nothing is stopping a force to come through the portal to attack. One player has been adamant that they should leave the location to rest and go the overland route to the BBEG lair (which is a good idea and would work) but other players have argued him down.

If a group tries to long rest right before the BBEG, in a dangerous location, there should definitely be repercussions. If they squandered their resources through alpha-striking, I'm going to be less charitable. But if I miscalculated the difficulty and they had no choice but to take a rest to make it through the rest of the adventure without TPK'ing, I'd feel like I bear some responsibility as the DM.

That being said, whether to let the potential TPK happen or not, that depends on the group of players. For my groups, I'm more likely to default to them being captured, because that continues the adventure while enforcing consequences. But some might prefer the thrill of a last stand.

Long story short, they allowed two separate enemies to escape, are extremely low on resources (and have even lost one party member) and are planning on taking a long rest right next to the unsecured teleportation circle leading to the BBEG lair. They have convinced themselves through a circular argument between players that the bad guys will lay in wait for them to come through, ignoring the fact that the second escapee knows they are in their weakest possible state and nothing is stopping a force to come through the portal to attack. One player has been adamant that they should leave the location to rest and go the overland route to the BBEG lair (which is a good idea and would work) but other players have argued him down.

Sounds like they are trying to recreate the events of a few Stargate episodes. lol

Anyway, maybe figure out a way for the sesnible party member to go off alone to scout or look for supplies, and the rest get grabbed while he or she is gone. Then let that player figure out a rescue plan, maybe let the other players bring in another character to be part of the rescue party? Or instead, while this character is away, kill all the rest and then the remaining character can figure out a way to bring them back from the dead. This might get them a tactical advantage if the Big Bad thinks they are no longer a threat.

Reynard

Legend
I should note that this thing with the BBEG is the finale of the campaign even though it is at relatively low level due to scheduling stuff and some incompatibility between players and preferences.

I see this as grounds for 1) getting their butt kicked 2) having the BBEG win but not a TPK. It's a teachable moment.

Puddles

Adventurer
I definitely don’t think it’s as forgone a conclusion as you do. Maybe the BBEG is double guessing the party, thinking it must be some sort of trap or bluff on the part of the party to just be resting near the teleportation circle.

You could have the BBEG send a scouting group through the circle to assess the situation, that’ll force the party to act and can hopefully lead to a satisfying end to the campaign without them feeling like you pulled any punches. 🙂

Remove ads