TRAILBLAZER - PDF Release - Discussion/Questions/Errata

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Just wanted to say that, while I probably won't be running a straight Trailblazer game anytime soon, I definitely plan to steal bits and pieces (e.g., the new skill acquisition rules, rest periods, encounter budgeting, etc) of this for my next 3.5 game. Excellent work, guys! :D

You forgot Combat Reactions!

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Okay, I may have missed this, but are the Treasure Per Encounter figures from the DMG on the "Big Six" Treasure Allocation table (page 10) presented merely for purposes of comparison? I ask because actually applying those figures to any given parcel causes its Total Value in GPs to far exceed the Total Value in GPs listed on the same table.

Frex, take the first example parcel. If you apply the TPE for a level one encounter (300 GP) to all 12 encounters in that parcel, add in the values for Minor (1000) and Major (2000) magic items, as well as the 1,000 GP for consumables, the Total Value in GPs for the encounter ends up being 7600 (a far cry from the value of 4000 listed on the table).

The only way I can come up with the value of 4000 is to ignore the TPE for the 12 encounters, add in the values for Minor (1000) and Major (2000) magic items, and finish up with the 1000 GPs for consumables.

So. . . uhm . . . what exactly is going on with that table?

[Edit: Trying to grok this at 0400 may be a mistake, too, I'll admit. :)]

Last edited:

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Okay, I may have missed this, but are the Treasure Per Encounter figures from the DMG on the "Big Six" Treasure Allocation table (page 10) presented merely for purposes of comparison? I ask because actually applying those figures to any given parcel causes its Total Value in GPs to far exceed the Total Value in GPs listed on the same table.

Frex, take the first example parcel. If you apply the TPE for a level one encounter (300 GP) to all 12 encounters in that parcel, add in the values for Minor (1000) and Major (2000) magic items, as well as the 1,000 GP for consumables, the Total Value in GPs for the encounter ends up being 7600 (a far cry from the value of 4000 listed on the table).

The only way I can come up with the value of 4000 is to ignore the TPE for the 12 encounters, add in the values for Minor (1000) and Major (2000) magic items, and finish up with the 1000 GPs for consumables.

So. . . uhm . . . what exactly is going on with that table?

[Edit: Trying to grok this at 0400 may be a mistake, too, I'll admit. :)]

You're counting it twice and/or not reading the table correctly (which, admittedly, might be my fault.)

Take 300 gp per encounter at level 1. Multiple by 40/3 encounters (the number of encounters it takes to level up). That gets you to 4000 gp.

(Treasure Per Encounter) x 40/3 = (Total GP Value)

Now stop and breathe before moving on to the next columns.

So over the course of advancing from 1st to 2nd level, the PCs should acquire 4000 gp. (That's per party, by the way, not per PC.)

Now as you plan out those treasure parcels, reading onto the next columns you see that you can divide up that 4000 gp as follows: 1 Major (valued at 2000 gp), 1 minor (valued at 1000 gp) and 1000 gp in coins/consumables.

Read pages 10-11 again at a more decent hour and get back to me. ;)

I'll do the same in the morning and review for any further clarification I might need to make.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
AH! I was counting it twice because of the table! :) Basically, it wasn't immediately clear at 4 o'clock in the morning that the Minor magic item value, plus the Major magic item value, plus the coins for consumables equals the Treasure Per Encounter x 40/3 (or Total Value).

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
AH! I was counting it twice because of the table! :) Basically, it wasn't immediately clear at 4 o'clock in the morning that the Minor magic item value, plus the Major magic item value, plus the coins for consumables equals the Treasure Per Encounter x 40/3 (or Total Value).

How's the campaign going? Still in the planning stages?

Would love to hear about it.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock

Yep. Still in the planning stages. I probably won't start running it until next month. Right now, I'm smoothing out some wrinkles in the WotA Campaign Adventure Book and gathering some final resources. Between that and doctor's appointments, this month is pretty full up (but next month is completely free thus far).

ValhallaGH

Explorer

Mine's going well, so far. (Running the Shackled City adventure path.)
The PCs decided to do stuff on their own, playing with the various hooks and red herrings that they've come across so far. Along the way we had our first PC death (and the follow-up RP has been excellent, right down to a drunken, self-destructive binge by the party rogue) to a couple of Yuan-ti (third encounter of the day).

It did highlight a couple more text issues, though.
First, the Perception skill is not listed in the table at the beginning of the skills chapter. Specifically, the table that lists Trailblazer skills and their SRD components.
Second, the dying rules need to be cleaned up, including whether or not massive damage kills you out-right.
Third has been forgotten and will be posted on a later date.

Expert Weapons Proficiency?

I was reviewing the Trailblazer fighter last night and the Expert Weapon Proficiency class feature caught my eye. Based on the name it looks like a feat but its listed as a class feature. I just want confirm that its a class feature and that a player cannot buy it as a feat.

GlassJaw

Hero
I was reviewing the Trailblazer fighter last night and the Expert Weapon Proficiency class feature caught my eye. Based on the name it looks like a feat but its listed as a class feature. I just want confirm that its a class feature and that a player cannot buy it as a feat.

Correct - it's a fighter class feature only (and an awesome one!).

jedavis

First Post
Hello! I recently bought Trailblazer and am quite impressed, particularly by the spellcasting system. I've tried a number of alternate spellcasting systems and this is one does a superb job of balance, universality, and simplicity. Anyways, kudos.

Had one question regarding the rules: in the podcast mentioned earlier in the thread, it was mentioned that rogues could add their Combat Tactics bonus to aid another and related combat reactions. However, I can't find anything in the text. Was it errata'd out, or am I just not seeing it?

Remove ads