• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Trailer] Aliens vs Predators Requiem

TwistedBishop

First Post
frankthedm said:
Well, it most likely would have been had this happened years ago back in the heyday of the Dark Horse Aliens vs. Predator era.

If I understand correctly, the Studio decided to in no way use anything plot wise Dark Horse has done with the AVP property out of fear of lawsuits.

Really? The original AvP movie had some very strong similarities to the first AvP comic from Dark Horse. They both had the Predators seeding locations with Aliens to fight, they both had the situation get out of control for the Predators, and they both had a Predator/human woman team-up at the end, resulting in the death of an Alien Queen. Even the Predator dying and the woman being accepted by the Predators is similar.

frankthedm

First Post
TwistedBishop said:
Really? The original AvP movie had some very strong similarities to the first AvP comic from Dark Horse. They both had the Predators seeding locations with Aliens to fight, they both had the situation get out of control for the Predators, and they both had a Predator/human woman team-up at the end, resulting in the death of an Alien Queen. Even the Predator dying and the woman being accepted by the Predators is similar.
The comic...

The first Aliens versus Predator centers on Ryushi, a recently-colonized planet, and Machiko Noguchi, the Chigusa Corporation's administrator there. The settlers on Ryushi raise cattle for export to other solar systems, and at the time of the story are in the process of assembling a shipment of the native livestock, Rhynth.

Unbeknownst to the colonists, Ryushi is a traditional hunting ground of the Predators, and they are returning for their initiation rites. Onboard the Predator ship, the prey are prepared : an Alien queen lays eggs for delivery to Ryushi. Confounding the Predator's safeguards, this queen manages to slip an egg containing the seed of another queen into the shipment.

On reaching Ryushi, the eggs hatch and infect Rhynth. Led by a Predator elder, Broken Tusk, the Predators arrive expecting to encounter Aliens. However, they soon run into the settlers and, after Broken Tusk is incapacitated, change their plans and hunt them instead.

Meanwhile, the infected Rhynth have been loaded aboard a cargo transporter and, with a queen among their number, an Alien colony quickly takes hold. The Predator assault continues to the settler colony itself, and the surviving settlers find themselves pitched between the Aliens and Predators. Broken Tusk, now recovered due to the intervention of a human doctor, sides with Machiko, and together with the cargo ship's crew they arrange for the transporter's massive orbiter to crash into Ryushi and destroy the colony and the Aliens.

In the ensuing fight, Broken Tusk is mortally wounded, but, admiring the courage of his human comrade, "bloods" Machiko with the mark of his clan. The story concludes with Machiko the sole inhabitant of Ryushi, the surviving settlers having been evacuated from the planet. She awaits, and is rewarded with, the return of the Predators and another hunt. One of Broken Tusk's former Predator rivals greets her and, recognizing Broken Tusk's clan symbol, accepts Machiko into the hunt.

Rykion

Explorer
Looks good to me. It doesn't look like it will be anywhere near Alien or Aliens in quality. That said, it looks better then the two later Alien movies or either Predator movie.
horacethegrey said:
See, I don't agree with that. Yes humans are slaughtered by the score in many scifi and horror flicks, but they don't always have to be witless cattle. The Colonial Marines in Aliens were an elite and battle ready bunch and they still got slaughtered by the xenomorphs. Ahnuld's team too were a bunch of hard core special ops types who could overthrow a small country, yet one Predator made mince meat out of them. And that adds to the suspense I feel, that the best that the human race can offer are nothing to these beings from space and beyond. You won't find such in a slasher film, where most of the victims are horny and scared teenagers who've barely hit puberty (and primes examples of the witless cattle type I mentuoned).

Aliens vs Predator should be and scifi action franchise, not a slasher flick.
It looks like the people in the AVP:R trailer were doing their best to fight back. I didn't see evidence of horny teenagers, though given Hollywood they're probably there. It looks like it will have the gore and bodycount of a slasher film, but that isn't anything unusual for an Alien or Predator movie.

I too would love to see an AVP movie set in the future with Colonial Marines.

Aeolius

Adventurer
Umm... I liked the first AvP movie. ;)

My 9-year old daughter was hooked on that movie, for a time. With a strong female lead in the starring role, I didn't mind. I was hoping any sequel would have the same actress and keep the PG-13 rating. Oh well.

Yeah, I liked the American remake of Godzilla, too. ::ducking::

David Howery said:
wasn't the first movie based on the video game? Thought I read that somewhere...
Doesn't fit, unless there were more than the games I know off. I think the the two Alien vs Predator games I know play in the future, and you also get to play a Marine.
(And I definitely preferred the alien route. Sneaking, Wall Walking, that's definitely what I can do better than running and shooting around.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads