D&D 5E Training and Downtime

The training times are not that bad. It helps if you build in some stretches of downtime between major adventures. In one of my campaigns, after the PCs had dealt with a major local threat, they were hailed as heroes and had a year of downtime before the next major adventure presented itself. Plenty of time to learn new things, or spend time doing what they wanted. The next session picked up a year later in game time.

I allow characters to learn more than RAW allows. Instead of a tool or language, a character could, in that time, learn the basics of another character class and take a level in it (if they have the XP), or learn ANY new skill provided there is an instructor available. This makes downtime more valuable and is the ONLY way to multi-class in my game.

Bleys Icefalcon

First Post
Our gaming group tends to try and role play (see Antonio Banderas in the 13th Warrior) the process of learning new languages as we play. Also, we try to share new skills as well - within reason (the Ranger in the party shows basic fletching techniques to the Rogue, etc.). What we do as well is find stop times at the end of a story arc or major adventure - this is usually in either their hometown, or at a major city. At the beginning of our next game we will spend a few hours moving from one character to the next discussing what they wanted to get accomplished during this down time - and come to a group consensus at just how long this down time would be. This is where they learn the rudiments of new trades and skills, make major purchases that can take time to fulfill - such as getting a suit of armor made, or the beginnings of that Temple built. Sometimes this includes extensive research in temple, libraries, or mage academies for some bit of lore they need for something they already learned, or something they want to do next. I have found over the years that these "pit stop" games can actually be a lot of fun. Sometimes while hanging out in the big city they end up involved in something local: a high profile murder, some mysterious break-ins, whatever - giving the a break from the big picture. Sort of like a filler episode on Supernatural.

Last edited:

S

Sunseeker

IMO: the best downtime is un-enforced downtime. Perhaps you have to wait a week before the next ship arrives. Perhaps the big-bad has just been defeated and the kindgom is rebuilding for a month or two. You could go out and find some ancient tombs or solve some local problems, and those options should be available, or you could keep yourself busy with downtime activities, such as training or other things. But you don't have to. I provide downtime in my games to help give the game a better feel for time, I don't require training though because finding a "class trainer" is IMO not as simple as going to the nearest large city and getting more training. This mostly produces a thematic headache for me and a logistical nightmare for the players.

IMO: training is something special you can do to go beyond what you get by default. I know that's not how the rules use it, but this is how I like to use it. If a player wants to learn something, they can spend X amount of time dedicating themselves to learning that thing. Want to learn a new set of tools? How to garden? A new proficiency? A special feature or trick you just found out about? That's what I use training for. It's something to differentiate your character from the stock model of the class and other players.

JohnLynch

Explorer
I'm aiming to get the players to get day jobs and so going adventuring is what they do in their downtime with roughly 4-6 days a month spent adventuring. This is to try to combat the 0 to legend in 1 month effect that can often happen. So 1 in game year could roughly cover 12 levels. In this model 250 days would occur as "night classes" and so would be appropriate. Intense study would definitely reduce that.

JohnLynch

Explorer
Downtime is what happens when your PCs aren't saving the world or killing monsters for their treasure. It's what the fighter has when everyone else is creating magic items and learning new spells. No, you aren't abad person if you've never had any. But what editions have you played out of interest?

Evenglare

Adventurer
.... I ... i don't understand why this topic exists. Don't groups take extended downtimes after they go and do whatever they are going to do. We have years go by, I ... I thought that was customary. Surely your characters aren't going into battle and adventuring every single day of their entire lives right? Periods of peacetime should give a huge amount of ample time to do all of those long time investments.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Downtime is a wonderful storytelling tool. You can revisit your characters years later; things may have changed. Your character might be a bit older, now a captain of the guard, taken up a new career. The world may have changed, too.

TV and movies make use of that narrative tool all the time. Many folks also use it in their RPGs.

Azurewraith

Explorer
Yes. A very, very, very bad person. A real gamer makes sure to account for everything.

I make sure to account for everything that happens in the game. I cannot tell you how much fun I have had with accounting for the toilet needs of the party. If you haven't made your "Random Bowel Movement" table, you're doing it wrong(tm). Oh, the fun and hilarity that ensure at the table when DC checks are made for that!
.... if your players take that long you can learn a language they need more fibre.

Remove ads