D&D 5E Treantmonk's Guide to Everything Xanathar

Undrhil

Explorer
Treantmonk: for the Prodigy racial feat - you get a skill proficiency, a language, *and* a tool proficiency, plus the expertise. I believe that needs a different rating.

Last edited:

SpoCk0nd0pe

First Post
Played last night, and had a new character: Hexblade 3/College of Blades 6. Variant human with warcaster feat.

That is a sick build guys. Holy cow! Good AC, tons of spells, tons of spells known, silent image at will, weapon flourish (which can be done with ranged or melee), Hexblade curse, Improved pact weapon, Branding smite, Hex...

The layering of damage goes on and on, for both bow and sword. Shield spell for additional defense, misty step for additional mobility.

Of course, lots of skills, expertise, Jack of all trades.

Wow. 5e has been pretty good for avoiding builds that are too good, but this one...

I do not think the Hexblade/College of Blades combo in particular is the thing too good here. The real problem is the Hexblade dip.

Any Cha gish class profits too much from a few levels of Hexblade. The combo with College of Blades is nice already, but I think there are others that can get even more out of the Hexblade (by stacking dice and focusing on crits).

Philip Zeidler

First Post
Hi Treantmonk!

This is my first post here so first of all I wanted to thank you for your guides and all your effort. I really enjoy reading them. My friends and I will start over with 5e in a few weeks so I will be able to fully „test“ your guide because I will play a wizard (illusionist).

I finally decided to make a comment because I think that pyrotechnics still works pretty well in a combo with create bonfire/ flaming sphere. In my opinion pyrotechnics was changed because you had the opportunity to extinguish a magical fire with it. The (little bit of) nonmagical fire needed for pyrotechnics can be achieved with create bonfire/flaming sphere because flammable things will start to burn with contact. There will be some kind of wood, paper, wax, etc. in reach. And if not I will have my owl familiar deliver a few twigs to the right spot as it has flyby attack...

What do you think?

I do not think the Hexblade/College of Blades combo in particular is the thing too good here. The real problem is the Hexblade dip.

Any Cha gish class profits too much from a few levels of Hexblade. The combo with College of Blades is nice already, but I think there are others that can get even more out of the Hexblade (by stacking dice and focusing on crits).

When you say, "I think there are others that get even more out of Hexblade" you need to provide specific examples with support. I would love to move this forward, but need more info.

Can I ask, why Diviner? Is it just that Portent is that good? Seriously asking, never played one.

I think that's the idea, though I don't agree. Portent is really good, and really fun, but isn't "too" good. I can say that having played it multiple times, and seen it played even more.

As for Moon Druid - it IS too good from levels 2-4. After that, it's fine, but not broken at all.

mikal768

Explorer
I know you're really happy with Hexblade and College of Blades, but I think there's even more synergy with a Hexblade and a Battlemaster.
Battlemaster abilities (mostly) don't require the use of bonus actions and reactions that the Hexblade loves to use for spells/class abilities, and can add attack, damage, and effect bonuses to the attack, and recharge at the same rate that the Warlock abilities do.

I'm thinking that the best breakpoint for a Hexblade into it would be at 12- You get Lifedrinker for double Cha to damage, and it gives you 3 Feat/ASIs as a fighter along with the class abilities.

You could just drop Hexblade after 3, but I think the higher level Hexblade spells plus Lifedrinker are too useful to have compared to higher level fighter tools.

Only thing I see being a problem would be the Fighter Second Attack and Thirsting Blade.
Do you just eat the invocation tax and go Hexblade to 12 first? Do you go Hexblade 1/Fighter 5 or 6 first to get the Extra Attack and another ASI?

Any opinions on it would be appreciated.

I've also thought about an Oathbreaker Paladin and Hexblade for Triple Cha to damage but I don't like two things
1) Investing 13 in Str to MC. 14 in Dex for fighter makes more sense since you're wanting to wear medium armor anyway.
2) You don't get your second (third?) boost to Cha to melee damage until level 19 at the earliest.

Last edited:

Remove ads