• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Treasure Parcels & Giving

Smoke Jaguar

First Post
I am a little confused about Treasure Parcels and the distribution of those parcels.

I am running a campaign with 8 PC's currently at level 3. So according to DM1 pg 125 & 126, I should give out the following:

1 Magic Item, Level 7
2 Magic Items, Level 6 (an extra 1 for party size of 8)
2 Magic Items, Level 5 (an extra 1 for party size of 8)
2 Magic Items, Level 4 (an extra 1 for party size of 8)
1 set 380 gp
1 set 340 gp
1 set 225 gp
1 set 225 gp
1 set 110 gp
1 set 75 gp

So before they reach level 4 those items should be distributed somewhat even between the entire party or does each member of the group get that?

I know that this is kind of straight forward. I would like to hear if this is true and how others like to distribute the treasure evenly. Of course, any general treasure advice that you have.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
The group in total gets those items. Basically, each level all but one of the PCs gains a magic item and everyone gets gold. You probably want to place the magic items so that they help PCs who don't have items or have the lesser items first.

However, the group will divide the treasure amongst themselves.

Cheers!

Shin Okada

Explorer
Treasure parcels are meant to be for the entire party. So yes, the party will get 7 magic items in total and some amount of gold.

Personally, I often "break" those parcels, though. Say, instead of dropping 1 level 7 magic item (2,600 gp), dropping 2 level 5 magic items (1,000 gp each), 1 level 2 item (520 gp) and 80 gp, and such. I do this especially when party members have a lot of item slots open. But on the other hand, dropping higher level item and leaving lower level items for players to buy or create may be much fun for them.

BobTheNob

First Post
A little experience. Giving the party magic items of correct composure and level in 4e is not only desirable, its essential. Give em too much and the whole thing becomes a doddle, too little and their dead.

Its probably the first thing I noticed about 4e is that whereas in previous versions magic items were a real bonus, in 4e they are a requirement. All monsters are based on the assumption that the parties gear is up to date.

I followed the treasure parcel rules from the start. Many things in the rules have fallen by the wayside as cumbersome and not contributing to the game experience, and I thought at first treasure parcels would too. I was wrong.

They not only made my life as GM easier, they ensured the party had the right amount of gold and equipment. I have handed out loot without fear of getting it wrong since we started playing nearly 18 months ago and this one aspect has simply worked perfectly.

My advice, do what the treasure parcels say

If you want to make your life easy, give them out as stated. They are taken into account in the base system.

If you want it more interesting, you can deviate from the guidelines, but then encounters have to be adjusted, because the xp/monster levels take average equippment into account.

However, deviating from those guideines will not result in a game breaking down, you just have to adjust a little

Ryujin

Legend
A little experience. Giving the party magic items of correct composure and level in 4e is not only desirable, its essential. Give em too much and the whole thing becomes a doddle, too little and their dead.

Its probably the first thing I noticed about 4e is that whereas in previous versions magic items were a real bonus, in 4e they are a requirement. All monsters are based on the assumption that the parties gear is up to date.

I followed the treasure parcel rules from the start. Many things in the rules have fallen by the wayside as cumbersome and not contributing to the game experience, and I thought at first treasure parcels would too. I was wrong.

They not only made my life as GM easier, they ensured the party had the right amount of gold and equipment. I have handed out loot without fear of getting it wrong since we started playing nearly 18 months ago and this one aspect has simply worked perfectly.

My advice, do what the treasure parcels say

Speaking from my brief experience as a 4e DM and having played a character from 1st to 20th, I find that it's quite difficult to keep up the constant flow of items that is required in order to keep up the proper distribution. You always have to be mindful of getting the stuff out to the party.

In my experience as a player, our party got far too little in the way of items. I think this was in no small part due to the way that various Dungeon-published modules were written; very light on treasure. As a result fights that should have been merely challenging became toss-out-your-Dailies club-fests. No one likes it when they use their killer power, only to miss because an add or two are absent.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads