D&D 5E Trickery Cleric gaining Proficiencies

I agree that giving them martial weapon proficiency would be odd. If one wishes to slightly buff them the easy option would be give them deception proficiency or even expertise in it.

Another option to consider: When I had a trickery cleric in my game, I gave letting him switch the channel divinity illusion option with the bonus to stealth option, from 2nd and 1st level, respectively. Basically I let him gain the illusion ability to use infinitely at will but made his "give a creature advantage on stealth checks for 1 minute" the use of channel divinity. In practice this was quite a bit of power increase (intended because I think the subclass is a tad weak), but hardly broke the game, in particular because the illusory duplicate DOES use concentration. I left the level 8 ability to be poison damage, though yo could switch it to psychic if you wish, or what might be a more fun option (especially combined with my above suggestion), let him use a channel divinity to ignore poison resistance/immunity for one attack or up to a minute).

Remove ads