• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Tricks and tips with magical items.

cheeseguy

First Post
Now sorry it your looking for easy answers but I was curious as to how different people have little tricks for playing DND with using items.

Like combining a simple magical item with a simple item and getting a special little trick you use for your campaigns

Or using an uncommon item such as a ring of jumping to increase attack damage.

Any one got anything?

Sent from my Z963VL using EN World mobile app

Last edited:

BoldItalic

First Post
Not sure what you are looking for. Can you give a few examples?

Do you mean disguising magic items as commonplace ones, so that the players won't pick them up? If they do pick them up, they can identify them so it's only a trick if you can fool them into ignoring them. But then you might as well not bother to place them at all - an item that the players ignore has zero effect on the game. I guess that's not what you mean.

Or do you mean an item that is quirky, like a Wand of Mousetraps, say, or a candle that you can light both ends of, that makes invisible creatures cast shadows?

aco175

Legend
I like combining weapons and spells to make each weapon unique. Example: +0 dagger that returns when thrown. It's useful and ok to have since now you only need one dagger, but add that to a 1/rest power to teleport 30ft and now it is something not easily given up. Maybe even add a 1/day power if the weapon was +1 since the PCs would be more around 5-7th level before they get it.

I just made a +1 sword that 1/rest heals 2d8+5 damage. It also can disappear into a ring that is tied to it.

cheeseguy

First Post
Not sure what you are looking for. Can you give a few examples?

Do you mean disguising magic items as commonplace ones, so that the players won't pick them up? If they do pick them up, they can identify them so it's only a trick if you can fool them into ignoring them. But then you might as well not bother to place them at all - an item that the players ignore has zero effect on the game. I guess that's not what you mean.

Or do you mean an item that is quirky, like a Wand of Mousetraps, say, or a candle that you can light both ends of, that makes invisible creatures cast shadows?
Combine attacks or casting spells differently. I had a friend who would go against high level monsters far beyond his own level. If he could get close enough he would find where it was cut or cracked(usually by someone else) and put a bead inside it from a necklace of fireballs(I apologize I can't remember the the correct name) deep in to the wound causeing tremendously large about of damage through explanation with the DM.

Coroc

Hero
How to drown a world:

Immerse a foldable portal in the elemental plane of water!

(This idea is from world of tiers by Philip Jose Farmer)

Coroc

Hero
Evil stunts can also be performed by portable holes (especially in conjunction with bags of holding), Immovable objects, rods of cancellation, staff of the magi,

or rather mundane items:
flaming oil, holy water (Use a bucket of these fluids on top of a half opened door e.g.), ball bearings, 3 foot poles ....

I like introducing magical items that may have no real combat advantage, but provide interesting roleplaying uses. Such as a magical tapestry that can form woven images of the thoughts of a willing person touching it. This item in particular has proven to be a great tool for overcoming language barriers.

cheeseguy

First Post
I like introducing magical items that may have no real combat advantage, but provide interesting roleplaying uses. Such as a magical tapestry that can form woven images of the thoughts of a willing person touching it. This item in particular has proven to be a great tool for overcoming language barriers.
Inginious!

Remove ads