D&D 5E Troll-blooded fast-healing characters?

A small amount of temp hp every round - maybe a less than the twilight domain cleric gives per round - would give you the effect while being useful but not overpowering. Then, a few extra hp on hit dice could round out the idea that there's real healing going on too.

Iron Kingdom: Requiem has a Troll race you can play as in it. So there ya go!
I just got my books from the kickstarter. I love the setting but, oof, the book is a mess balance-wise. Trollkin seem pretty decent though, and seemed custom fit for a berserker barb build.

As a bonus action you may spend a hit dice.
Each round on your turn you heal your prof bonus until you have healed the max amount of that hit dice.
Acid/Fire stops this.
You may do this prof times per day.
Something like that

I am currently playing a character with fast healing in a Ravnica game. I'm playing a Simic Hybrid and the DM let me switch out both racial "adaptations" for it at level 5. The mechanics we use are that I regain hit points at the start of my turn equal to my proficiency bonus, so long as I have not taken narcotic damage the round before (this could be any damage type, we just chose necrotic) and as long as I have not been reduced to 0 health. It prevents the auto stabilize concern and isn't NEAR as potent in combat as people think, given that monsters definitely outpace the regen. It is however quite powerful out of combat and basically means I start every fight at full HP and never need to use hit dice. Currently I don't have any abilities that allow me to spend it dice on other Bonuses, so it's not a problem, though that could be an issue for some builds. Additionally our group rarely does multiple fights per day, so it definitely would be more potent if our group was more a traditional dungeon delving group.

Do I think it is in anyway broken? No. Not really, so long as you set a damage type that gets around it, keep the regen low, and prevent it from working at 0 hp (evenme monsters work this way so it's not without precedent). It is however a hell of a powerful racial and anything you stick it on shouldn't get much else. It could also work well as a racial feat or half feat, pending on your group. Your milage may vary.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
Potential drawbacks to balance it out:

Penalties to INT, WIS, and CHA as you are part troll after all. (This is somewhat less popular these days)
Social penalties from being somewhat green and rubbery (everyone is afraid of trolls after all)
Sometimes you regenerate wrong, leading to rolling on a (potentially gory) side effects table
On a related note, you have an increased risk of developing cancer per game session (makes sense biologically but may be too intense for some people); perhaps vulnerability to radiant damage for just this reason
You have to eat more to power the increased metabolism necessary for the healing
Weapons, etc. that do extra damage against trolls or other humanoids do that against you
Your larger size and unusual build (rubbery etc) require specially constructed armor which costs extra

Slit518

Adventurer
So thinking of the option of having a Troll-blooded character whether as a PC race/lineage or something that can be gained somehow like through a supernatural gift or a subclass.

I think the main appeal mechanically is the ability to have something similar to the Troll's fast healing abilities. But fast healing might seem very powerful for PCs to have, though it also isn't as powerful as one might think it is if it's something like: heal 1 hp a round. So what might be a balanced implementation of having such an ability?

Without reading the other folks' comments, I am going to say how about they can use a max of one Hit-Die on their turn as a Free Action. And all spent uses of their Hit-Dice are regained at the end of a Long Rest. Suffering Acid or Fire damage suppresses this ability until the end of your next turn.

Do you want them to also have other Troll properties, such as Limb Regeneration?

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Worrying about balance is a losing proposition. DM's have to wildly stack the deck against PCs to even threaten them. Using HD to heal is not something people have to worry about after the first few levels. And everyone has infinite regeneration in the form of a long rest. Having one race that's especially hard to kill is really a non-issue. Apparently many players don't want death to be possible for their characters anyway.

Here's a quick stab at a half-troll race. Darkvision because trolls have darkvision (as do about 2/3 of all PC races). Powerful Build because it's a half-giant (trolls are large size and speak giant). And Regeneration because it's a troll. Keep it limited to minimal healing so it's only really good for not dying and saving spell slots at low levels. Keep the weakness of normal trolls as it's thematic and keeps the player guessing if this is the time the DM will bust out with the fire or acid damage. They're also common enough that there will be times the trait simply doesn't work.

Half-Troll

Creature Type.
You are a Humanoid.

Size. You are Medium.

Speed. Your walking speed is 30 feet.

Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light and in darkness as if it were dim light. You discern colors in that darkness only as shades of gray.

Powerful Build. You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift.

Regeneration. You regain 1 hit point at the start of your turn. If you take acid or fire damage, this trait doesn't function at the start of your next turn.

Remove ads