D&D 5E Troll PC race experiment

Weiley31

Legend
Large creatures don't automatically add an extra die of damage. (This is why the Trollish Stature feat increases their claw attack to 2d6.) They are capable of wielding weapons that are larger, and therefore do an extra die of damage. Therefore, a large PC would need to also acquire large-size weapons.

I'd keep it strictly limited to what the core rules say for Large creatures:
  • 10x10 foot space.
  • Can only squeeze through Medium or larger spaces.
  • Capable of wielding Large-sized weapons (which do double the dice, but are treated as a different weapon from their smaller counterpart).
  • Require Huge or larger mounts.
  • Powerful Build traits.
There would be other issues, such as needing custom equipment to match their size, but those are ultimately more RP things.

Definitely worth a sidebar, though, agreed.

If I where going to allow large PCs I would houserule 3rd edition/Pathfinder large weapon rules. Which means a large greatsword is 2d8 rather than 4d6, which is totally broken for PCs. I agree with @Flamestrike, obtaining a large weapon is trivial.

I would apply the same rules to Enlage/Reduce and Rune Knight size changing.

If that's the way they're going in 2024 edition, that would not only be useful here, but might make it easier to have Large PCs in the official rules...
Speaking of Large Races, and it's polar opposite, Tiny Races...

JEB

Legend
Speaking of Large Races, and it's polar opposite, Tiny Races...

Interesting Large PC rules (I'd summarize but that seems like it would discourage sales), although they veer too far from the official ones for my preference (increasing HD a step in particular).

Did remind me of a few more official things about Large creatures I need to address in my guidelines for version 3, though (they should no longer have disadvantage with larger weapons - though still not proficient IMHO - and they can move through Small creatures' space - but no longer that of Huge creatures). Also suggests more traits for a Large Weapon Master feat...

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
These are pretty good. (Wow, why haven't they sold that as an actual product?)
There are a handful of free homebrew supplements people have done that are fantastically good, and only rarely make it to publication, which is a shame. Let me throw money at you, creators!

JEB

Legend
Version 3! I feel like I'm closing in on a final version, but critiques still welcome.

Troll Traits
Ability Score Increase.
Your Constitution score increases by 2, and your Strength score increases by 1. [If you are using post-Tasha's guidelines, assign the +2 and +1 wherever you wish.]
Size. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Keen Senses. You have proficiency in the Perception skill.
Claws. Your claws are natural weapons, which you can use to make unarmed strikes. If you hit with your claws, you deal slashing damage equal to 1d6 + your Strength modifier.
Natural Armor. When you aren't wearing armor, your AC is 13 + your Dexterity modifier. You can use your natural armor to determine your AC if the armor you wear would leave you with a lower AC. A shield's benefits apply as normal while you use your natural armor.
Powerful Build. You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift.
Regeneration. As an action, you can spend one Hit Die to heal yourself. Roll the die, add your Constitution modifier, and regain a number of hit points equal to the total (minimum of 1). If you take acid or fire damage, this trait doesn't function until you finish a short or long rest.

Troll Feats

Trollish Fortitude

Prerequisite: Troll
  • Increase your Strength or Constitution score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
  • You can now use your Regeneration trait whenever you take the Dodge action in combat. If you take acid or fire damage, this trait now functions again after 10 minutes have passed.
  • You gain the Bite trait. Your fanged maw is a natural weapon, which you can use to make unarmed strikes. If you hit with your bite, you deal piercing damage equal to 1d6 + your Strength modifier.
Trollish Stature
Prerequisite: 8th Level, Troll
  • When you gain this feat, roll 2d4. You grow a number of feet in height equal to the roll.
  • Your Powerful Build trait is replaced by the Large Stature trait. Your size is Large. (See the sidebar on Large Player Characters.)
  • Increase the damage inflicted by your Claws trait to 2d6 + your Strength modifier.
Greater Trollish Fortitude
Prerequisite: 8th Level, Troll, Trollish Fortitude feat
  • You can now use your Regeneration trait as a bonus action. If you take acid or fire damage, this trait now functions again after a minute has passed.
Superior Trollish Fortitude
Prerequisite: 12th Level, Troll, Greater Trollish Fortitude feat
  • You can now use your Regeneration trait as a reaction. Your Regeneration trait additionally allows you to restore severed body parts. Your severed body members (fingers, legs, and so on) are restored after a short or long rest. If you have the severed part and hold it to the stump, your Regeneration instantaneously causes the limb to knit to the stump.
Supreme Trollish Fortitude
Prerequisite: 16th Level, Troll, Superior Trollish Fortitude feat
  • You can now use your Regeneration trait once at the start of your turn without using an action. If you take acid or fire damage, this trait doesn't function at the beginning of your next turn, but now functions again at the beginning of the following turn. If you start your turn with 0 hit points and can't use your Regeneration trait, you must succeed on three death saving throws before your Regeneration trait can function again.

Large Player Characters
Player characters in the core rules are assumed to be Medium or Small size. Large player characters have a number of benefits and drawbacks to consider, as follows:
  • Large PCs have a space of 10 by 10 feet. Large PCs can squeeze through a space large enough for a Medium creature, but not that of a Small creature. Large PCs can move through the space of a Small or Tiny creature as difficult terrain, but can no longer move through the space of Huge creatures.
  • The listed ranges and areas for class features, spells, and so on are not adjusted to match a Large PC's size or space.
  • Large PCs can only ride Huge or larger mounts.
  • Large PCs have twice the carrying capacity of a Medium creature with the same Strength, and can push, lift, or drag twice the weight.
  • Large PCs can wield weapons sized for Large creatures without disadvantage. Large weapons do twice as many dice of damage as their normal-sized counterparts. For example, a Large mace deals 2d6 bludgeoning damage. However, a character's proficiency with the normal-sized version of a weapon does not automatically grant them proficiency with its Large counterpart, and they must acquire this proficiency through other means (such as the Weapon Master feat).
  • The equipment in the Player's Handbook is sized for Medium and Small creatures; whether or not Large PCs can buy weapons, armor, or similar equipment for their size at conventional markets is up to the DM's discretion. If the DM decides against this, a Large PC might either find someone willing to customize equipment for their size, or be able to seek out markets that cater to Large creatures (such as giants' settlements). The price for such equipment will also be proportionally higher: see the Equipment Sizes variant on page 144 of the Player's Handbook for guidelines.

Changes from version 2
  • Trollish Fortitude: Now includes the 10 minute reset from the v1 base troll, as a mild upgrade. (Strongly considered but rejected making the Bite a bonus action, for various reasons.)
  • Trollish Stature: Added a variation of the Rune Knight's 10th level ribbon, because why not. (Considered 12d4 inches but that's a lot of rolling.)
  • Superior Trollish Fortitude: Removed the 14 natural AC, added reaction regeneration. (Did not carry over the restriction on death saves, as I determined it's unnecessary until the next feat.)
  • Supreme Trollish Fortitude: Regeneration no longer requires an action to use, but still only happens once per turn.
  • Added to and reformatted parts of Large Player Characters sidebar.

Last edited:

JEB

Legend
Rather than referencing levels, how about abstracting it by using Proficiency Bonus instead?
Interesting idea! I assume this is so multiclass characters don't miss out on the full array?

The problem is, while we have seen official 5E feats with level-dependent access, we've never seen feats with PB-based access. And I'm trying to stick as close to official rules as I can with these mechanics. (I also can't rule out that feats being linked to certain levels is very intentional, as with other effects multiclassing has on progression.)

Still, if it suits you better, feel free to homebrew my homebrew! No reason you can't change, say, "4th Level" to "Proficiency Bonus +3".

EDIT: Also, seems to me that a Fighter 4/Wizard 4 is basically an 8th-level character, so I don't see why they couldn't pick up an 8th-level feat (rather than being limited to 4th). (In fact, this is confirmed on page 163 of the PHB.)

Last edited:

Horwath

Legend
I agree with @Cap'n Kobold, regeneration should be keyed of HDs.

Maybe like this:
You have double the number of HDs as normal per your level.
you regain all HDs on long rest.
you regain 1 HD on short rest. 2 HD at 5th level, 3 HD at 11th level, 4 HD at 17th level.

You can use your Action to spend a HD. 2 HD at 5th level, 3 at 11th, 4 at 17th.

You cannot do this again until 1d6 rounds have passed or you suffered Acid of Fire damage in this or last round.

after this, I dont know how much it leaves for other racial traits with +2/+1 ASI and you should stick to medium size.

maybe:
darkvision 60ft

natural armor of 13+dex or +1 AC if using armor

claws: 1d6+str damage, 1d8 if both claws are free

powerful build.

Quartz

Hero
Interesting idea! I assume this is so multiclass characters don't miss out on the full array?
It's more to move away from levels.

I wasn't aware of - or had forgotten - about official level-dependent 5E feats. I disliked level-dependent feats in 3E and have kept that dislike.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases