D&D 5E True Seeing, Polymorph and Shapechange and Secret Doors

How does everyone play True seeing? Especially in regards to Polymorph and Shapechange and Secret Doors.

Thoughts?

For reference, True Seeing spell says;
This spell gives the willing creature you touch the ability to see things as they actually are. For the duration, the creature has truesight, notices secret doors hidden by magic, and can see into the Ethereal Plane, all out to a range of 120 feet.
Polymorph says (in part);
This spell transforms a creature that you can see within range into a new form.
True Polymorph says (in part);
You transform the creature into a different creature, the creature into an object, or the object into a creature (the object must be neither worn nor carried by another creature). The transformation lasts for the duration, or until the target drops to 0 hit points or dies. If you concentrate on this spell for the full duration, the transformation lasts until it is dispelled.
Shapechange per the spell says (in part);
You assume the form of a different creature for the duration. ... Your game statistics are replaced by the statistics of the chosen creature, though you retain ...
Shapechange trait from something like a dopplganger says;
The doppelganger can use its action to polymorph into a Small or Medium humanoid it has seen, or back into its true form. Its statistics, other than its size, are the same in each form. Any equipment it is wearing or carrying isn’t transformed. It reverts to its true form if it dies.

Polymorph
I rule that true seeing does not reveal that the creature/object is different than it is. i.e. You don't know that the dwarf is a polymorphed dragon.

Shapechange
This one is more of a concern for me. In part because the spell and creature traits have different wording. In the case of shapechange I rule that True Seeing shows that the creature/object is revealed for what it truly is. i.e. You can tell the dwarf is a doppleganger.
edit: for clarity, I see a druid's Wild Shape as the same as shapechange.

Secret Doors
For me it depends on the secret door. A dwarven crafted secret door is not revealed, or any other door that is secret based upon mechanical properties (such as a moving bookcase). Any door hidden by illusion or other magic (such as?) is revealed.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Well, here is the section on Truesight:

1584047383111.png

Since the spell specifically states the target has Truesight, I would rule the following:

Polymorphed and Shapechanged are revealed because both are a "creature that is transformed by magic."

For secret doors, I agree. A door that is "hidden" or concealed is not invisible or otherwise affected by magic. It is simple there, part of the wall, any one can "see" it if they notice it. A door hidden by some magic of any form would be seen as if the magic failed.

That is my take FWIW.

ok, yep, so the definitions of Truesight and True Seeing are different. Never noticed that, always looked at the spell and not the trait.

I think the intention is probably that they act the same, anyone have any errata or Sage Advice on this? Other thoughts?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
ok, yep, so the definitions of Truesight and True Seeing are different. Never noticed that, always looked at the spell and not the trait.

I think the intention is probably that they act the same, anyone have any errata or Sage Advice on this? Other thoughts?
I agree that the spell was meant to give you truesight. The additional wording under the spell description gives some of the highlights IMO.

Remove ads