• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

True20 with hp or D&D with generic classes

RFisher

Explorer
I love the idea of three generic classes. I wished 3e had gone that route--or at least something closer to it--from my first reading of the PHB. The one big thing that turns me off of True20, however, is the death spiral. Hit points may not be perfect, but--for me--they're better than a death spiral.

So, I can't decide whether I should get True20 & try to replace the death spiral or just use generic classes & some other options from the UA with D&D.

(Despite my subject line, "replace the death spiral" doesn't necessarily mean switching to hp. Perhaps using the True20 system but ignoring the penalties for being wounded?)

Discuss.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Grim Tales uses generic classes, in a manner of speaking: It uses the d20 Modern Classes, expanded to 20 levels, and turning a lot of the D&D class features into talents and feats. I would use generic classes with D&D, rather than HP with true20, because it sounds like there's less work with the former than the latter.

Turanil

First Post
RFisher said:
So, I can't decide whether I should get True20 & try to replace the death spiral or just use generic classes & some other options from the UA with D&D.

Discuss.
I have True20 (as well as UA). The question goes further than just the death spiral problem. True20 brings significant changes to the system, not just the way it handles damage. For example, magic is way different (no spell-slots, you can use powers at will until you get fatigued from using them). Also, despite True20 is derived from d20, both material aren't compatible "on the fly"; preliminary work is necessary (and tedious), and you should better buy all True20 supplements and forget about using them along d20 stuff. The main selling point (IMO) of True20 is that character generation is faster and easier, and the game also runs faster. Now, if you are used to d20 and like it, and still want to use d20 material, I think you should better use the generic UA classes.

RFisher

Explorer
Thanks for the replies thus far!

Turanil said:
The question goes further than just the death spiral problem.

Sure. Or, rather, not. See, I've looked at all the other changes & this is the one that is the most pivotal for me. Almost all the others I could go either way on.

Remove ads