D&D 5E Truly Understanding the Martials & Casters discussion (+)

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I think you're underestimating the impact of the energy substitution feat on the wizard's ability to do damage.
Speaking of the energy substitution feat - I have no idea what feat you are referring to. Maybe I missed the memo or hit my head or something, but I don't recall any feat doing this. There was a UA wizard that could.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
If there's other Tasha's material you are concerned with maybe we should talk about it.
Well, there is nothing wrong with you using it, just that without the non-options baseline, I would be more concerned that an option could be skewing the results instead of the classes.

FrogReaver

Well, there is nothing wrong with you using it, just that without the non-options baseline, I would be more concerned that an option could be skewing the results instead of the classes.
Only thing my i can think of I am using from it for my fighters would be brace and custom lineage. Brace is just to help ensure I can use as many superiority dice as possible on reaction attacks. There might be one of the feats I add in to some builds. I'd considered seeing how a feat like crusher fared. I don't really think it will add much though.

Not sure about Ezekiel's Wizards.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Speaking of the energy substitution feat - I have no idea what feat you are referring to. Maybe I missed the memo or hit my head or something, but I don't recall any feat doing this. There was a UA wizard that could.
Bah. I crossed some wires. Ignoring resistance is the elemental adept :p

I still think you're underestimating it's ability to do damage.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Only thing my i can think of I am using from it for my fighters would be brace and custom lineage. Brace is just to help ensure I can use as many superiority dice as possible on reaction attacks. There might be one of the feats I add in to some builds. I'd considered seeing how a feat like crusher fared. I don't really think it will add much though.
I would think maneuvers like Parry or Riposte would work well...

Not sure about Ezekiel's Wizards.
Which is another thing. I think prior to bother running any scenarios, full disclosure on the final builds would help.

But, I really haven't been following the discussion between you both. I only responded about the value of using non-options builds as well as with-options builds because I see the value in it.

FrogReaver

Bah. I crossed some wires. Ignoring resistance is the elemental adept :p

I still think you're underestimating it's ability to do damage.
Good to know I've not lost it. Though I did just realize the scribe wizard was added in Tasha's and can achieve an energy substitution effect. Still requires you take spells with other damage types though.

So long as the spell list skews toward spells of different damage types I don't think having or not having elemental adept makes a huge difference in practice. If nearly everything you fought was fire resistant it might, but that seems like an exceptionally specific scenario.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Good to know I've not lost it. Though I did just realize the scribe wizard was added in Tasha's and can achieve an energy substitution effect. Still requires you take spells with other damage types though.

So long as the spell list skews toward spells of different damage types I don't think having or not having elemental adept makes a huge difference in practice. If nearly everything you fought was fire resistant it might, but that seems like an exceptionally specific scenario.
That list I posted earlier had a good chunk of the CR 17+ creatures fire resistant or fire immune.

FrogReaver

I would think maneuvers like Parry or Riposte would work well...
Riposte is one I fully intend to use (but it's PHB). I would normally take Brace to help spend the dice faster/completely on those style of manuevers.

Which is another thing. I think prior to bother running any scenarios, full disclosure on the final builds would help.
I think we are doing that to a reasonable degree. But some choices may only become apparent after we start, especially with Wizards and all their spells.

But, I really haven't been following the discussion between you both. I only responded about the value of using non-options builds as well as with-options builds because I see the value in it.
(y)

FrogReaver

That list I posted earlier had a good chunk of the CR 17+ creatures fire resistant or fire immune.
So when you encounter one of those use a different damage spell (Synaptic Static comes to mind)? The only concern is if you fight such enemies way to often, which seems really unlikely in an 8 encounter day.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases