TTRPG Freelancer Writer/Editor Rate Survey

If you are a TTRPG writer or editor, please take this survey!

A few years ago I gathered data on tabletop roleplaying game industry freelancer rates. I'm doing that again with this anonymous survey. The results will be published publicly. The idea is that freelancers will be able to compare their rates with the rest of the industry when deciding what to charge.

This survey is for is writers/editors; other surveys for artists etc will be coming soon.

Click here to take the survey!

darjr

I crit!
Jess did something similar recently but just writers. I don't know if its useful to you but just in case you didn't see it.

Also can you post a link to any conclusions/results from your last survey? I went looking but my google fu is busted at the moment.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Jess did something similar recently but just writers. I don't know if its useful to you but just in case you didn't see it.

Also can you post a link to any conclusions/results from your last survey? I went looking but my google fu is busted at the moment.
Link is in the OP, but here it is again:

darjr

I crit!
Link is in the OP, but here it is again:

Ope! thanks! I looked but just didn't see it.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
A few years ago I gathered data on tabletop roleplaying game industry freelancer rates. I'm doing that again with this anonymous survey. The results will be published publicly. The idea is that freelancers will be able to compare their rates with the rest of the industry when deciding what to charge.

This survey is for is writers/editors; other surveys for artists etc will be coming soon.

Click here to take the survey!
I like your approach, but as a writer I was in a few different situations, both in terms of rights to my work and the size of the company I freelanced for, which makes it difficult to answer some of the questions accurately.

Also, do most freelancers set rates when they're hired, or do they accept the terms offered? I was able to set a rate only once, and the publisher complained about it a lot; in all other cases the publisher offered a rate and I was free to accept it and have work or decline it and look elsewhere.

Though I DID have a publisher pay me more than than we'd agreed once, because they liked what I wrote so much. That was a day that made me feel good, for sure!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I like your approach, but as a writer I was in a few different situations, both in terms of rights to my work and the size of the company I freelanced for, which makes it difficult to answer some of the questions accurately.
Tajke the survey once for each job.

Oncewasbenji

Explorer
The survey asks if you were paid royalties only and then still asks for a rate at the end. I answered zero for the contract that happened in but just making you aware that could affect numbers.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads