TTRPG Freelancer Artist/Cartographer Rate Survey

If you are a TTRPG artist or cartographer, please take this survey!

A few years ago I gathered data on tabletop roleplaying game industry freelancer rates. I'm doing that again with this anonymous survey. The results will be published publicly. The idea is that freelancers will be able to compare their rates with the rest of the industry when deciding what to charge.

This survey is for is artists and cartographers; the survey for writers and editors can be found here.

Click here to take the survey!

Put in my numbers for the three contracts I've done this year.

It doesn't include my personal work (still the oldest RPG-related Patreon campaign!), just freelance.

Ten years ago I went pro with Patreon.
Eight years ago I started doing commissions for "real" money instead of pocket change.
Six years ago I started freelancing for Wizards of the Coast which is a huge increase in both revenue and visibility.
Three years ago my first illustration work made it into a book.

Last edited:

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I participated, though I don't do freelance anymore not for 2 years now, I just used the stats from my last Legendary Games maps I did, even though it was the last out of 15 maps for that particular commission. While I've been a small publisher for 13 years, even while still doing commission work for other publishers, 2 years ago, I decided to just make maps for my own publications - I make a lot more money as a publisher, than I did as a freelancer. So I still do cartography, but I'm my only client.

As an aside, I also do 3D illustratons for my own stuff, but I did do one commission of 5 pieces of 3D for another publisher, but am less comfortable doing 3D work versus doing cartoraphy.

Just to be clear, you are going to get a skewed result. Many artists hired for rpg art don’t even frequent rpg circles, let alone this site. Especially those just getting into the industry. This means those with no history, one’s starting out, are going to be missing from the listing, and those individuals tend to charge much less than established artists.
Not saying you can’t do it, just that the results are going to be a limited pool.

doogx

Explorer
Before I started self-publishing, I freelanced for over 15 years. I was never able to set my own rate. The publisher offered what they could afford to pay, and there was never really any room to negotiate. I worked for some name-brand publishers from about 2000-2015 and never settled for less than 2 cents/word, but was never offered more than 5 cents/word.

It seems like discussions about RPG writer pay tend to take place out of the context of the publishing business and how much (or rather, how little) money RPG publishers actually make. Direct-to-consumer sales (which are now more prevalent than they used to be) helps by allowing publishers to keep more of the cover price, but under the traditional three-tier distribution model, they don’t keep much, and out of that much they have to pay for all publishing and operational costs, not just text.

It’s useful to compare RPG pay rates to what technical and copywriters can make, but only if you consider that those rates are paid out by companies that make things or provide services that people or other companies need, whereas most RPG publishers are hardscrabble operations that struggle for a cut of the market for a purely discretionary product (as are all forms of entertainment). In my experience, these discussions tend to imply that publishers are just cheaping out on the price of labor as if they were running a steel plant or a coal mine in the 1920’s. The real problem is that there is too much product competing for a market of hobbyists that, while it is much bigger than it was 20 years ago, is still relatively modest and discretionary. It’s hard enough for most publishers to make money for themselves, much less pay writers what they ought to be paid in an ideal world.

The real problem is that there is too much product competing for a market of hobbyists that, while it is much bigger than it was 20 years ago, is still relatively modest and discretionary. It’s hard enough for most publishers to make money for themselves, much less pay writers what they ought to be paid in an ideal world.
Which comes back to the big issue of "if you can't pay someone a living wage, maybe you shouldn't be publishing at all".

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads