TTRPGS, Blockchains, and NFTs

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Kickstarter announced recently that it would be investing in blockchain-based infrastructure, there was widespread backlash. Blockchain technology is environmentally damaging and is of limited use. Creators such as Possum Creek Games (Wanderhome) announced their intentions to move off Kickstarter, while companies such as Chaosium and Wizards of the Coast continue to express interested in non-fungible tokens, digital items which exist on a blockchain.

non-fungible-token-g5650c4233_1280.jpg

While I'm writing this article, I do need to point out that I'm not a great person to do so; my understanding of blockchains, NFTs, cryptocurrencies, and related technologies is very, very limited and my attempts to get a handle on the subject have not been entirely successful. I'm sure more informed people will post in the comments.

Kickstarter is not the only tabletop roleplaying game adjacent company delving into such technologies. Call of Cthulhu publisher Chaosium announced in July 2021 that it was working with an NFT company to bring their Mythos content to a digitally collectible market, with specific plans to sell two different models -- the Necromonicon and a bust of Cthulhu -- from the Cthulhu Mythos; and while things went quiet for a while, last week the company tweeted that 'We have more - lots more -- to drop... when the Stars are Right." A Facebook statement from Chaosium's CEO appeared on Twitter talking more about the decision.

D&D producer Wizards of the Coast said in April 2021 that it was considering NFTs for Magic: The Gathering. More recently, an email from WotC's legal representatives to a company planning to use NFT technology in conjunction with M:tG cards, alleging unlawful infringement of its IP, indicated that WotC was "currently evaluating its future plans regarding NFTs and the MAGIC: THE GATHERING cards" but that "no decision has been made at this time."

On Twitter, ErikTheBearik compiled Hasbro/WotC's involvement with NFTs so far.

Gripnr is a '5e based TTRPG NFT protocol' with Stephen Radney-MacFarland (D&D, Star Wars Saga Edition, Pathfinder) as its lead game designer. OK, so that's about as much of that as I understand!

Some company in the TTRPG sphere have taken a stand. DriveThruRPG stated that "In regard to NFTs – We see no use for this technology in our business ever." Itch.io was a bit more emphatic:

A few have asked about our stance on NFTs: NFTs are a scam. If you think they are legitimately useful for anything other than the exploitation of creators, financial scams, and the destruction of the planet the [sic] we ask that [you] please reevaluate your life choices. Peace. [an emoji of a hand making the “Peace” symbol]

Also [expletive deleted] any company that says they support creators and also endorses NFTs in any way. They only care about their own profit and the opportunity for wealth above anyone else. Especially given the now easily available discourse concerning the problems of NFTs.

How can you be so dense?

NFTs -- non-fungible tokens -- and blockchains have been dominating the news recently, and with individuals and companies taking strong stances against them, it's fair to ask why. The environmental impact of the technology has been widely documented - it's inefficient, and the need for blockchains -- a sort of decentralized ledger -- to have multiple users validate and record transactions makes it very energy intensive. In an era when climate change is having more and more devastating effects around the world, use of such technologies attracts considerable backlash.

Other ethical concerns regarding NFTs specifically is that the purchaser of an NFT is not actually purchasing anything, and the value for the digital 'token' they've purchased is speculative. When you buy the NFT of a piece of art (for example) you don't own the art itself; you only own a digital token associated with the art. The whole concept is likened to a 'house of cards' or a 'scam' by its critics.

Mallus

Legend
Isn't music, literature, and gaming products produced in electronic format simply virtual assets invested in with the hope they explode in value?

I know I shelled out a hundred bucks for the right to use Roll20 more effectively. I doubt their business is exploding, but from what I read they're doing all right.
Errr... no? I just bought a movie on iTunes (Titane). To watch it. Not on the expectation it would increase in value. Unlike the mutual fund shares I just bought with my 401K contributions. Are we talking about the same things?

Mallus

Legend
If Bit Coin crashes none of us will be forced to bail it out by our wise and benevolent rulers and financial institutions who only have our best interest at heart.
That depends entirely on how many institutional investors get into crypto. Which is happening, I believe...

Saying social media has no real value is kinda weird in 2022. It’s like saying television had no real value in the 1970s. What has real value? Steel mills?
Steel mills? Absolutely. Creates jobs, provides tax revenues...there's no down side.

But if you really believe in climate change being brought on by carbon emissions, would not giving up social media and the like in order to stave off certain doom make sense?

Errr... no? I just bought a movie on iTunes (Titane). To watch it. Not on the expectation it would increase in value. Unlike the mutual fund shares I just bought with my 401K contributions. Are we talking about the same things?
Do you think the movie on iTunes was made in the hopes of a profit?

Challenging the moderation of this post via the use of the laughing emoji
That depends entirely on how many institutional investors get into crypto. Which is happening, I believe...
Governments, and who controls them, decide who qualifies for bailouts. And I say "who" and not "what" because that's what happens. People are getting bailed out of bad decisions they made. Not the people of the countries who are forced to pay for the bailouts. Regular people don't want it because they're not getting bailed out. I highly doubt we can find a majority of regular people on any forum that wanted the banks bailed out for a financial crisis the banks created. Yet the banks were "saved." Whenever you have a "well regulated" sector that fails, they also get bailed out at the expense of everyone else.

There's no indication than an unregulated currency will qualify for bailouts or that any financial institution or global bank will push for crypto bailouts. And I'm OK with that. I have no problem with people making bad investments or purchases so long as I'm not forced to bail them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases