TTRPGS, Blockchains, and NFTs

When Kickstarter announced recently that it would be investing in blockchain-based infrastructure, there was widespread backlash. Blockchain technology is environmentally damaging and is of limited use. Creators such as Possum Creek Games (Wanderhome) announced their intentions to move off Kickstarter, while companies such as Chaosium and Wizards of the Coast continue to express interested in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Kickstarter announced recently that it would be investing in blockchain-based infrastructure, there was widespread backlash. Blockchain technology is environmentally damaging and is of limited use. Creators such as Possum Creek Games (Wanderhome) announced their intentions to move off Kickstarter, while companies such as Chaosium and Wizards of the Coast continue to express interested in non-fungible tokens, digital items which exist on a blockchain.

non-fungible-token-g5650c4233_1280.jpg

While I'm writing this article, I do need to point out that I'm not a great person to do so; my understanding of blockchains, NFTs, cryptocurrencies, and related technologies is very, very limited and my attempts to get a handle on the subject have not been entirely successful. I'm sure more informed people will post in the comments.

Kickstarter is not the only tabletop roleplaying game adjacent company delving into such technologies. Call of Cthulhu publisher Chaosium announced in July 2021 that it was working with an NFT company to bring their Mythos content to a digitally collectible market, with specific plans to sell two different models -- the Necromonicon and a bust of Cthulhu -- from the Cthulhu Mythos; and while things went quiet for a while, last week the company tweeted that 'We have more - lots more -- to drop... when the Stars are Right." A Facebook statement from Chaosium's CEO appeared on Twitter talking more about the decision.

D&D producer Wizards of the Coast said in April 2021 that it was considering NFTs for Magic: The Gathering. More recently, an email from WotC's legal representatives to a company planning to use NFT technology in conjunction with M:tG cards, alleging unlawful infringement of its IP, indicated that WotC was "currently evaluating its future plans regarding NFTs and the MAGIC: THE GATHERING cards" but that "no decision has been made at this time."

On Twitter, ErikTheBearik compiled Hasbro/WotC's involvement with NFTs so far.

Gripnr is a '5e based TTRPG NFT protocol' with Stephen Radney-MacFarland (D&D, Star Wars Saga Edition, Pathfinder) as its lead game designer. OK, so that's about as much of that as I understand!

Some company in the TTRPG sphere have taken a stand. DriveThruRPG stated that "In regard to NFTs – We see no use for this technology in our business ever." Itch.io was a bit more emphatic:

A few have asked about our stance on NFTs: NFTs are a scam. If you think they are legitimately useful for anything other than the exploitation of creators, financial scams, and the destruction of the planet the [sic] we ask that [you] please reevaluate your life choices. Peace. [an emoji of a hand making the “Peace” symbol]

Also [expletive deleted] any company that says they support creators and also endorses NFTs in any way. They only care about their own profit and the opportunity for wealth above anyone else. Especially given the now easily available discourse concerning the problems of NFTs.

How can you be so dense?

NFTs -- non-fungible tokens -- and blockchains have been dominating the news recently, and with individuals and companies taking strong stances against them, it's fair to ask why. The environmental impact of the technology has been widely documented - it's inefficient, and the need for blockchains -- a sort of decentralized ledger -- to have multiple users validate and record transactions makes it very energy intensive. In an era when climate change is having more and more devastating effects around the world, use of such technologies attracts considerable backlash.

Other ethical concerns regarding NFTs specifically is that the purchaser of an NFT is not actually purchasing anything, and the value for the digital 'token' they've purchased is speculative. When you buy the NFT of a piece of art (for example) you don't own the art itself; you only own a digital token associated with the art. The whole concept is likened to a 'house of cards' or a 'scam' by its critics.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Then it is time to do some math.

A single crypto transaction currently eats up 1000Kwh of electricity, at a cost of roughly $104. At the moment, you don't see that cost, because it is distributed across the entire crypto network. But, scaled up to US credit card levels, that would become visible, because it becomes about $10 billion a day, eating up almost ten times the current total US electricity generation.
Put differently, just converting all the credit card transactions in Texas to cryptocurrency transactions would crash the grid statewide and result in actual human deaths.

darjr

I crit!
Put differently, just converting all the credit card transactions in Texas to cryptocurrency transactions would crash the grid statewide and resul in actual human deaths.
While I’m on board I don’t think that’s the stretch it may seem to be.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Put differently, just converting all the credit card transactions in Texas to cryptocurrency transactions would crash the grid statewide and result in actual human deaths.
And of course, there's no physical way to flip a switch and convert all those over, and theoretically if we were to transition from one to the other, there would be some buildup of infrastructure....

But where would we get that infrastructure and all that extra energy? And why would we actually spend all the money and labor to build all the extra power generation to support it, when it's not actually doing anything useful?

Jacqual

Explorer
You've just described money: strips of cloth-based material which can currently be exchanged for goods and/or services, but which have no intrinsic value. Money is simply an assumption that the government that issued it will continue to exist and people will continue to accept that it has value.

These days, most currency exists as electronic data as well.
Which is fine but which of these crypto things is backed by any nations government, uhm none so what's to stop anything like a hack to change the value of said electronic only funds.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
While I’m on board I don’t think that’s the stretch it may seem to be.
No stretch at all. We had deaths in the big winter outages of 2011 and 2020, and we get others when we have major brownouts during heat waves. We really haven’t significantly improved our grid’s output or stability, despite our leadership’s finger wagging and speechifying.

So crypto putting a strain on the Texas power grid (as it stands) that is orders of magnitude greater than its already extant reasonable economic substitute would be catastrophic.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
so what's to stop anything like a hack to change the value of said electronic only funds.

Well, that's much of the point of having the blockchain distributed. There's no one master location you can hack to change a value. The records are spread all over the blockchain network, and protected by significant cryptography.

darjr

I crit!
No stretch at all. We had deaths in the big winter outages of 2011 and 2020, and we get others when we have major brownouts during heat waves. We really haven’t significantly improved our grid’s output or stability, despite our leadership’s finger wagging and speechifying.

So crypto putting a strain on the Texas power grid (as it stands) that is orders of magnitude greater than its already extant reasonable economic substitute would be catastrophic.
Two reasons.

It doesn’t take nearly as much to cause the Texas power grid enough issues to kill people, seeing that it’s happened before. What at least twice now?

And wasn’t there a story about the krypto industry in Texas already causing issues straining the grid to the point they had to shut stuff down?

But yea, krypto use on the Texas grid would probably kill people and may very well do so soon. Wait till summer.

Last edited:

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
So @Abstruse and @Snarf Zagyg , I thought I was following, but....

When someone uses a Bitcoin to buy lunch at a place that accepts it - presumably neither the purchaser nor the restaurant are paying very much for a transaction fee. But then Etherieum has the >$50 gas fee per transaction. Does anyone take Etherium for regular payments like for food? Does Bitcoin not have a gas price, and if not, why not? Help.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
So @Abstruse and @Snarf Zagyg , I thought I was following, but....

When someone uses a Bitcoin to buy lunch at a place that accepts it - presumably neither the purchaser nor the restaurant are paying very much for a transaction fee. But then Etherieum has the >$50 gas fee per transaction. Does anyone take Etherium for regular payments like for food? Does Bitcoin not have a gas price, and if not, why not? Help.
I am neither of the people referenced but my understanding is that bitcoin has a transaction fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads