• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tucker's Kobolds -- really that tough a challenge?

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
If Tucker's Kobolds are experienced enough (especially if they are 3E monsters, with high levels in classes of their own) to pull these stunts, and they take on an experienced, creative, and well roleplayed, large 12th level party, the results are going to be ... well ... interesting.

Interesting as in ...

(Far away from the dungeon)

Commoner 1: What is that commotion?
Commoner 2: Are we having an earthquake?
Commoner 3: Looks like a thunderstorm is coming.
Commoner 4: Sounds like that time I was in the tent with the wounded. Listen to the yelling and the screaming.

Lurks-no-More

First Post
Some characters might have a Con bonus, giving them 1 or even 2 extra hit points per die, but remember this is 1E; you need a 15 or better to get any Con bonus at all, there are no +Con items, your stats don't improve with level, and 4d6 drop lowest is considered a generous option for rolling stats. I'd expect most of the PCs to have 14 or less.
Actually, isn't "4d6, drop lowest" the Method I in 1e?

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
It was one method, yes. Quite popular.

However, I frequently saw it modified in favor of the players, sometimes quite heavily.
Back in that time, multiple stat scores above 14 were common.

timbannock

Hero
Supporter
No it doesn't. It deals only with DCs and expressions of damage--there is not one example of a condition on the whole page. The closest it gets to talking about conditions is pushing an ogre 1 square, or perhaps granting a +2 or -2 modifier. If you can find a way to stretch that page to give guidelines for pinning opponents to a wall, you're a better reader than I am. Me? I'd ignore that page and tell the player he can attempt it at a -4 penalty to hit.

Alas, you are correct! I consider push/pull/slide conditions, even though they are not technically so.

Still, it's not much of a leap to put conditions into the same bucket as forced movement. And I do think your method is perfectly elegant. It's mathematically similar to using the attack roll as the "skill check" to perform the maneuver.

On second thought, I think a deeper discussion of using conditions would be warranted on page 42, but that not being the case, perusing monster abilities in the MM should give plenty of ideas of how conditions can (and should) be used alongside the table on p. 42.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads