• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tuesday May 29 Happy Fun Hour with Mike Mearls - more psionics!

MechaPilot

Explorer
Sounds like it's a return to 3e's era where psionics are substantially the same as magic, only inferior. If so, I'm not interested in it at all. I can already just use a wizard, sorcerer or warlock and call it psionics. And if the psionics will have a fireball, only with d4s instead of d6s, and will have charms that aren't as powerful as the charm spells in the PHB, that's exactly what I'll do. Especially since the mystic failed to impress me at all when it was released as a UA article.

S

Sunseeker

Sooooo not interested in a psionic class that is really just a new Wizard school.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
These subclasses are just to showcase a way of introducing psionic flavour into a current campaign if people want using the current system of casting. The mystic isn't being scrapped to be replaced by these subclasses.

S

Sunseeker

These subclasses are just to showcase a way of introducing psionic flavour into a current campaign if people want using the current system of casting. The mystic isn't being scrapped to be replaced by these subclasses.

Ah okay, totes missed that.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Ah okay, totes missed that.
To be fair, that's something that isn't necessarily clear without following the work Mearls has been doing on his show. The idea of "subclass tier" psionics without as much rule divergence comes from the viewer interactions on that show, I gather: lots of DMs willing to allow a Psionic Fighter sublass with familiar rules, bit more leary of the full Mystic.

S

Sunseeker

To be fair, that's something that isn't necessarily clear without following the work Mearls has been doing on his show. The idea of "subclass tier" psionics without as much rule divergence comes from the viewer interactions on that show, I gather: lots of DMs willing to allow a Psionic Fighter sublass with familiar rules, bit more leary of the full Mystic.

I mean, I guess psionics has always been "magic, but with your brain". Don't know if we need Mearls to tell us that though.

S

Sunseeker

The struggle is to find a unique set of powers that remains flavorful and balances. It is actually a pretty tall order.

Sure, no argument there. Though I'll posit that part of that problem is that normal "magic" covers pretty much everything. What can the mind really do that a wiggle of the fingers and a secret code-word can't?

But I've argued that magic and magic users should have a much narrower range of spells for ages.

This. I was looking back through old Q&A stuff on his Twitter feed and I found tweets from February, I think, that said the Mystic is still coming. Also, someone asked him if the Mystic might be in Core/PHB in the future and he replied yes. That may just be his wishful thinking or it may be that a revised/expanded 5E PHB could be out out that includes the Mystic as Core.

Li Shenron

Legend
I immediately think of how Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster both work. The base Fighter and Rogue chasses don’t have spellcasting (nor do most of the subclasses), and there’s no Fighter spell list or Rogue spell list. Yet those two subclasses gain a Spellcasting ability and draw from another spell list (in this case, the Wizard’s). Mearls seems to be describing subclasses that gain a “Spellcasting” ability that draws from an out-of-class spell list, in this case being a Psionics spell list.

I put Spellcasting in quotes because I imagine that Psionics could easily be like Pact Magic, an ability that operates *like* Spellcasting but is separate from it terms of slots and levels. Note that, even though Warlocks don’t “cast spells” through the same mechanism that other classes do (and thus interoperable their slots when multiclassing), they use the same mechanics and terms when defining spell lists and spell levels.

I see Psionics being done easily in this sort of way, without having to create new complicated terms and mechanics — treating Psionics as a magic mechanic on the same lines as Pact Magic and building psionic subclasses similar to how the non-Wizard subclasses which draw from that spell list operate (the only difference being the lack of a “Psionic” class that houses that list, the way the Wizard class houses the list from which Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster draw from).

But then why not doing it even more easily and just have a Mystic class that is nothing new but a spellcaster with its own spell list? Many of the PHB spells already fit with the psionics concept (enchantments and illusions, plus some self-target transmutations), just design more spells to belong uniquely to the Mystic's spells list, a few unique class features, and you're done. No need for a new 'system' at all.

And then the Psychic Warrior can be a subclass very similar to the Eldritch Knight, just say it has to pick spells from the Mystic's list (maybe change those few other unique subclass features too, to make it more distinct).

Remove ads