D&D 5E Tumbling through the Planes: Locations Needed

Reynard

Legend
I am sending my PCs on a grand, largely uncontrolled, tour of the planes. It is fallout from an in game event in which there was a massive machine, and interdimensional rift and an explosion.

Anyway, I need suggestions for cool locations throughout the planes. The Pcs will not be any particular place for long (I am expecting they will visit 2 or 3 new locations per session for a total of 3 or 4 sessions before they make it home) but I want to awe them with weirdness as well as throw in some strange encounters (some combat and some otherwise).

I don't much care if the locations hew to standard D&D cosmology of any particular edition -- this is a homebrew setting and the only thing previously established about the planes is there are fiends from Hell and elemental creatures exist. beyond that it is a blank canvas.

Linked images are cool, too. We play over FG and I want to be able to show them some of the places they "land". Also, any general thought on how to make such an adventure the most fun it can be are welcome. The party is 7th level with 8 PCs.

Attachments

• 3b78648afafdc66b9bfccfc2f100c416.png
    3b78648afafdc66b9bfccfc2f100c416.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 2,110

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Wreychtmirk, a floating cube on Acheron where the River Styx runs on each of its faces. The Styx flows into six different planes here, making it a nexus of the Lower Planes, plied by the Styx Oarsmen, the marraenoloths. Each side of the cube reflects the nature and environment of the plane that is connected to it.

SheWantstheD&D

First Post
Oh man, the hours and hours I would waste on Pinterest for this. Hnnnnng. How about a post apocalyptic setting? Tech all around but hardly anything works. Also, I like the Sliders-esque idea :)

tumblr_o2dsn2yCpW1tg6fxfo1_1280.jpg

I am sending my PCs on a grand, largely uncontrolled, tour of the planes. It is fallout from an in game event in which there was a massive machine, and interdimensional rift and an explosion.

Anyway, I need suggestions for cool locations throughout the planes. The Pcs will not be any particular place for long (I am expecting they will visit 2 or 3 new locations per session for a total of 3 or 4 sessions before they make it home) but I want to awe them with weirdness as well as throw in some strange encounters (some combat and some otherwise).

I don't much care if the locations hew to standard D&D cosmology of any particular edition -- this is a homebrew setting and the only thing previously established about the planes is there are fiends from Hell and elemental creatures exist. beyond that it is a blank canvas.

Linked images are cool, too. We play over FG and I want to be able to show them some of the places they "land". Also, any general thought on how to make such an adventure the most fun it can be are welcome. The party is 7th level with 8 PCs.

If you want a place that looks like the picture you posted, I would say either Ysgard (with its floating land continents - some powerful entity shaped the land masses like that) or a particularly earth-infested area of the Elemental Plane of Air (ditto).

akr71

Hero
I always find imagery of ghost towns and abandoned sites to be evocative. Dropping the party in an un-populated area could be fun. Here is a site with tons of cool images - http://www.urbanghostsmedia.com/
and here is an article of what the 2004 Athens Olympic Games venues look like now
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/g...s-olympic-2004-venues-10-years-on-in-pictures

You could also do a google image search for Chernobyl

Edit: Also the Aral sea - rusted out hulks of ships sitting in the desert
4a0dca28a1e6188742e3a8ae9c4edd47.jpg

Last edited:

Jensen

First Post
Here's a description of a city in the Elemental Chaos (4e) called Gloamnull.

Gloamnull is a city that sits impossibly perched on a thin spire of rock. It looks more like a large floating castle tethered to the top of a skinny mountain. A thin mist surrounds the entire region and rain falls steadily as you get within a few miles. Once you get closer, you can see smudges of orange light encircling the city and atop most of the walls. Other smaller dots of light struggle to be seen against the mist and rain. Water pours from just about every surface, leaking from the walls, pouring overtop of battlements, and draining out of the earthen underside of the city.

Soon enough you arrive at the base of the spire. It's bigger than it appeared off in the distance, and now you can see that a staircase is carved into the spire that winds its way up into a large tunnel in the city's underbelly. "Be careful of your footing," Around and around, up and up you go toward Gloamnull's entrance tunnel. Inside, the tunnel is finished stonework that is wet like everything else, but it contains gutters that channel the water away from the walkway. It's a steep climb, and the stairs continue. After an hour of climbing, the walkway levels out and leads into the streets of Gloamnull. A heavy mist falls in gentle waves as the bustle of life here fills the streets. A combination of the red sky, misty air, and orange glow streetlights (small fire elementals trapped inside glass globes, actually) make for a dusky pink light; it is similar to the light before a storm at sunset back in the Natural World.

Remove ads