D&D General Turgenev's Friday Freebie Maps

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Here is the May 1st, 2020 Friday Freebie map. Click to enlarge.

Map Details:
  • Areas 1, 2 a), and 3 a) have various trees, vegetation, and elevation lines. I was thinking of an increase of a foot (30 cm) per each elevation line (naturally the DM may wish to adjust this). That would make areas 3 b)/4 four-feet higher than area 2 a).
  • The grey winding path represents an underground stream (see areas 2 b), 3 b), and 17 c)). Rapids/small falls occur along the stream as the water flows down hill.
  • Areas 5, 6 a), 9, 10 a), 11, 14 a), 17 a), 21 a), 21 c) - e), and 24 has braziers.
  • The thin rectangle in area 5 represents an alarm gong. Due to the tunnels connection to area 8, the gong can be heard deep in the lair (in areas 9 to 12).
  • Area 5 b) is an open pit.
  • Area 6 c) is a natural chimney to the top of the hill.
  • Areas 7, 18 b), 18 c), and 24 have statues.
  • The arrows represent downward slopes. Area 17 b) is a tunnel that bulges over the underground stream. Area 21 b) has a steep shaft that connects to the lower area of 17 d). The tunnel south of area 21 e) gradually goes deeper into the hill.
  • Area 21 a) to e) have arrow slits/spy-holes in the wall that overlooks the cave entrance.
  • Area 23 represents the strange maze-like structure. The maze (and the dungeon connected to it) predates the bandit lair. The bandits have discovered the maze recently.

I have an Enhanced version of this week's Friday Freebie for sale here: Friday Enhanced Map: 05-01-2020 - Paratime Design | Dungeon Maps | DriveThruRPG.com

The May 1st, 2020 Friday Enhanced Map product contains a multi-layered PDF (allowing the options of white or black backgrounds, numbered or non-numbered areas, secret doors on or off, and grid or no grid, and all permutations) and a zip file with all relevant (16) map files as individual jpg images. All for a $2 (US)!

Cheers,
Tim

Another great map to inspire the imagination!

So the elevation lines represent an increase of 1 foot?
Do you mean area 6 b) is an open pit?

Is this going to be a singleton map? Or part of a larger set?

Turgenev

Hero
So the elevation lines represent an increase of 1 foot?
That's correct. I didn't assign a specific height on the map so a DM/GM can assign whatever height he/she wishes. If you want it to be two-feet per lines, that works as well.

Do you mean area 6 b) is an open pit?
Yes, I do. Good catch.

Is this going to be a singleton map? Or part of a larger set?
It was meant as a one-off, but now I'm tempted to explore the area connected to that maze.

Cheers,
Tim

Turgenev

Hero
Here is the May 8th, 2020 Friday Freebie map. It can be used in conjunction with last week's map. Click to enlarge.

Map Details:
  • Area 1 b) is a falling block trap.
  • Area 2 has a covered pit trap.
  • Area 3 has a series of alcoves.
  • The corridor of area 7 has partially collapsed and is strewn with rubble.
  • Areas 9, 16, and 19 have pillars.
  • Area 10 has a sarcophagus on a dais.
  • Area 11 has a pair of full-length (magical?) mirrors.
  • Area 19 has a pentagram.
  • Area 20 has a tapestry.
  • Area 22 has a pair of pools.
  • Areas 22, 23 d), and 23 e) have statues.
  • Area 23 b) and c) are open pits.
  • Area 23 d) and e) are raised platforms.
  • Area 23 e) has an altar on an oval dais.

Here is how last week and this week's Friday Freebie/Enhanced maps fit together. Click to enlarge.

I have an Enhanced version of this week's Friday Freebie for sale here: Friday Enhanced Map: 05-08-2020 - Paratime Design | Dungeon Maps | DriveThruRPG.com

The May 8th, 2020 Friday Enhanced Map product contains a multi-layered PDF (allowing the options of white or black backgrounds, numbered or non-numbered areas, secret doors on or off, and grid or no grid, and all permutations) and a zip file with all relevant (16) map files as individual jpg images. All for a $2 (US)!

Cheers,
Tim

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Another great one Tim!

I have 2 questions.
1. Have you ever done any interviews or a blog post about your process in coming up with these maps?
2. Have you ever done a map that is really mostly a prison?

Turgenev

Hero
Another great one Tim!
Thanks, Eyes of Nine.

I have 2 questions.
1. Have you ever done any interviews or a blog post about your process in coming up with these maps?
I did a blog interview ages ago (approx. 8 years ago or so) but I can't find my link to it. Often I create the maps on the spot (without an idea of what to draw) but sometimes I will have a specific idea in mind and then go with that. For example, last week's map came about because I needed a bandit lair for my own game.

As for the map making process itself, I draw my maps in Photoshop with a mouse pen/graphic tablet (not to be confused with an iPad or Android tablet). My process for making the dungeons is discussed here: Turgenev's Dungeon Maps & More - Page 8 - Dragonsfoot

2. Have you ever done a map that is really mostly a prison?
Sorry, no I haven't. I've done a prison spaceship (The Tartarus) but that's probably not what you're looking for. ;)

Cheers,
Tim

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Thanks, Eyes of Nine.

I did a blog interview ages ago (approx. 8 years ago or so) but I can't find my link to it. Often I create the maps on the spot (without an idea of what to draw) but sometimes I will have a specific idea in mind and then go with that. For example, last week's map came about because I needed a bandit lair for my own game.

As for the map making process itself, I draw my maps in Photoshop with a mouse pen/graphic tablet (not to be confused with an iPad or Android tablet). My process for making the dungeons is discussed here: Turgenev's Dungeon Maps & More - Page 8 - Dragonsfoot

Cool, I'll give that post a read.

Sorry, no I haven't. I've done a prison spaceship (The Tartarus) but that's probably not what you're looking for. ;)

Cheers,
Tim

Got it. Just thinking about how "real-life" dungeons afaik originated as prison complexes under castles. I guess about 2 years ago you did an above ground castle. I suppose I could super-impose something underneath.

When I think fantasy prison, I think:
  • Cells. Of different sizes, so that either a) you can house multiple people in the larger cells or b) you can house larger creatures in the larger cells.
  • Solitary confinement
  • Lots of guard chaches
  • Barracks for guards
  • Kitchen
  • Dining hall for guards
  • Dining hall for prisoners (maybe)
  • Exercise area (maybe)
  • Torture chamber
  • Warden's chamber/quarters
  • Elaborately protected entrance area
  • Prisoner reception area.
  • Visitation area
  • Guard [animal] area.
  • Execution grounds
  • Secret escape routes
  • Weird experimentation area

There's probably more, but there's some potential in that?

Turgenev

Hero
Do you take commissions? Or... ideas? I have something I'd like mapped and I suck too hard to do my own.
Sorry, I didn't get back to you sooner, Longspeak. Yes, I accept commissions. I'm currently booked for the next month or so. In the meantime, if you email me (hartin@paratime.ca) what you're looking for, I can at least give you a quote (you never know, I might be even able to fit it into my schedule - no promises). Ah, the joy of juggling several projects at once. ;)

Cheers,
Tim

Turgenev

Hero
Here is the May 15th, 2020 Friday Freebie map. Click to enlarge.

Map Details:
  • The arrows represent downward slopes.
  • The dotted lines at area 6 d) show the tunnel underneath.
  • Area 1 is the ground level with forests.
  • Area 2, 3, 7, and 8 represent a cliff ledge.
  • Area 3 has a chasm that splits the ledge in two. The same chasm continues into Area 5.
  • Area 6 a) is a natural raised platform. The tunnel at area 6 b) has collapsed.
  • The mountain/hill side has collapsed blocking the ledge at area 7.
  • The tunnel of area 8 b) has been collapsed to block anyone from using this tunnel.
  • Areas 10 b) - e), 11 b), and 12 b) - e) are natural raised ledges.
  • Areas 10 b) - e) and 12 b) - e) have nests on them.
  • Area 11 b) has a statue.

I have an Enhanced version of this week's Friday Freebie for sale here: Friday Enhanced Map: 05-15-2020 - Paratime Design | Dungeon Maps | DriveThruRPG.com

The May 15th, 2020 Friday Enhanced Map product contains a multi-layered PDF (allowing the options of white or black backgrounds, numbered or non-numbered areas, secret doors on or off, and grid or no grid, and all permutations) and a zip file with all relevant (16) map files as individual jpg images. All for a $2 (US)!

Cheers,
Tim

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases