• Welcome to this new upgrade of the site. We are now on a totally different software platform. Many things will be different, and bugs are expected. Certain areas (like downloads and reviews) will take longer to import. As always, please use the Meta Forum for site queries or bug reports. Note that we (the mods and admins) are also learning the new software.
  • The RSS feed for the news page has changed. Use this link. The old one displays the forums, not the news.

RPGs TUW: The Outpost

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Tavern.jpg

The Outpost is a small community located approximately three days north of the Kingdom of Thisidaboga and ten days west of Boga City. The community was formed due to its convenient location to the two gigantic ravines that proved excellent mining locations for various ores, especially iron and the hilly, tree covered land abundant in coal.

The community began as merely a tavern and campsite. It has now expanded to include its own smithy, weaver, brewery, herbalist, temple, and inn. There is a hunting lodge for preparing game and skins that deals regularly with local indigenous peoples interested in trading for iron goods. The smith also does a considerable amount of commissioned work for mining crews from Thisidaboga, who make regular trips to and from the mines. As injury is often with such a hazardous profession, the herbalist has an adept knowledge of the local flora and regularly attends the appreciative injured or ill.

Soldiers from Thisidaboga pass through, at least annually, to look after the mining interests. Sadly, the soldiers, once friendly and accommodating, were much less than desirable company on their last visit. They bullied about town making demands. Fortunately, Minister Plascimon, the local Priest of The Dawn, was able to curtail their behavior to some degree. He later expressed his concern that some change must be occurring in the Kingdom to cause the soldiers to adapt such a change in behavior.
 
Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Year 0: Day 158: The Watering Hole

GM: There are 6 defined seasons in a year's time. There are two repeated cycles of wind then rain then dry. Three are considered cool. Three are considered warm. It is currently the hot dry season of the year, called Doldrum.

GM: Sitting at their usual table in The Watering Hole, when Maka's clan is in town to trade, the three friends discuss some of the odd behavior of the soldiers, but dismiss it, as it has only happened this once, and soldiers are not that interesting.

What IS always interesting are the stories of great tales that find there way into travelers' news. Some are dismissed as complete fabrication, like the preposterous idea that a dragon lives in the mountain range to the north. Some seem more plausible, like bears three times the height of a man live within the wood of towering trees along the windy coast. Most recently miners have been claiming to see lights in the night going into one of the old bores. The lights are not fires of torches or lamps. They are some strange mystical lights. They claim that they are the souls of long dead miners looking for their lost remains.


Vittero smiles after downing the last of his mug,
"I think we aught to go investigate these lights and see for ourselves what they really are. I do not believe in ghosts."

He then frowns momentarily,
"Father told me that I should talk with Raven Elk's Ma and volunteer to look into one of her collection sites with him. She told him that some large beetles, big as a man's head, had destroyed a crop of the medicinal plants. Obviously, bugs would not bother her, but I have never heard of one bigger than man's fist. She says these are truly as big as a man's head and that they were aggressive."

He pauses momentarily. Vittero often does the majority of the talking.
"Quit giving me that dead pan look Maka. You speak Thisidan well enough. I know it is just bugs, but it is also a day's walk. Maybe we will find something else, too."
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Maka smiles, but that's as far as it goes. Maka is known to smile occasionally, but his laughter is a rare thing, and even then, it is usually little more than a chuckle or quiet snicker.

"Oh, all right, we can go bug hunting if you want. Who knows? Maybe they'll be good to eat. Smiling Hawk once told me that people further inland use bug guts to make soup. Collecting enough small bugs to eat would be boring. But if these bugs are really that big, we'd only need to clean one or two of them. I'll ask my father if I can go. I think he wanted me to go hunting with him soon, but he also knows that I will never become independent if I don't spend some time away from the village. And I don't know of any reason that I'd be needed this time of year. So I don't expect him to refuse. As for these lights of yours, I think those miners must have gotten hold of some bad jimsom weed. Sober people do not see lights."
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Waynan

Explorer
Raven Elk, always of a serious mien (but genuinely appreciative of the levity of his good, even dear, comrades), nods to the others and says:

"I must talk to Ma first. She has alluded to my need to "stretch my wings and fly on my own"; but, I feel she may not think I'm truly ready, or maybe she just worries about if I do actually go. I must find these things out, once and for all, neh?"

And with that, Raven Elk gets up from the table, leaving his honey wine untouched, and heads out of The Watering Hole for home, but not before turning back to his friends, adding:

"If Ma does agree, where do we meet, and when?"
 
Last edited by a moderator:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Technical Post

GM: New Player Information:

All player characters have the ability to manipulate Way. Only about 10% of NPCs can do so, but about 50% of NPCs have some ability to sense it.

Various simple items can be used to augments the Developmental Abilities of a character that can manipulate Way. These items will be recognized when encountered. These consist of feathers, claws, stones, and ores, some of which have other mundane uses and have monetary value.
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Y 0: D 158: The Watering Hole, part 2

Raven Elk,
"If Ma does agree, where do we meet, and when?"
Vittero laughs and fakes frustration. While his two friend are much more refined for their young age, he is often outspoken and impetuous.

"Since it is your Ma who is wanting this investigated, we should meet at your place in the morning. We can start at first light."
 
Last edited:

Waynan

Explorer
Raven Elk, heading out of the tavern, nods and waves in affirmation of Vittero's plan, as he continues to go outside, and to his "home".
 
Last edited by a moderator:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Y 0: Day 158: The Watering Hole, part 3

OOC: @Kwargrow

As Raven Elk is leaving, the boisterous and often loud, big Maldrog Mhytre fills the doorway. He steps aside, greeting Raven Elk and clapping him on the shoulder as he departs. He shouts over at the barkeep for his favorite frothy brew and Vittero waves him over to the table.

Taylar Nibscry is the son of the local smith. Though rowdy and an imposing sight, he is friendly and easy going, which is fortunate for the local constable, since the young man is the largest person anyone has ever seen, even taller and stockier than his father.

Vittero tells him that the others have all decided to go see about these huge beetles Raven Elk's ma was complaining about. The intention is to gather some supplies and meet at the herbalist shop by first light.
 
Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Technical Post

GM: Note:
Only Vittero is currently able to manipulate Way. The other characters will be able as soon as they reach at least 1 rank in Adhesion.

The Herbalist, Richelle, Raven Elk's adoptive mother, cannot manipulate Way, though she is respected for her knowledge of herbs and medicinal aid. She is often called upon to help with minor ailments or injuries of the miners and the birthing of children.

The Minister of the Dawn, Marqus, Vittero's father can manipulate Way, though he is only known for his healing arts. His skill is considered to be a gift from The Dawn and is accepted as a benevolent gift due to his dedication to serving others. His position in town is officially sanctioned by the Order of the Sun from Thisidaboga. He has been called upon to miraculously speed the healing of injured miners.

The Dawn, the bringer of life and renewal, is the daughter of the Sun and the Silver Moon. The destructive ability to manipulate Way is erroneously credited as coming from service to Dusk or the Veil of Night. The Dusk is the son of the Sun and the Veil of Night, who seduced the Sun to lie with her once, thereafter extorting his cooperation to spare the destruction of the Silver Moon by the Orange Moon.

Yes there are two moon that revolve around the planet.
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Maka says, "One day there, one day back. We will need meat. And perhaps a bit of fruit. If I went back to my village, I'm sure I could get food (enough for all of us) from my aunt. She says that I am her favorite nephew."

OOC: Maka makes no mention that he is her ONLY nephew.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Kwargrow

Villager
OOC: Taylar is 6'5". That's an NFL linebacker.


As Taylar moves across the room to take a seat and a drink, he is graceful and controlled in his motions. He only makes a mess when he wants to. Taylar takes a long drink and then plops his mug down on the counter. "Beetles? I can bring some really big boots to squash them with!" he laughs. "Seriously, though, if these bugs ate her plants maybe we can borrow some to use as bait. And yes I mean 'we'. I assumed I was going with you."
 
Last edited:

Waynan

Explorer
Raven Elk, comes to his home to gather his stuff and some food to be ready for the morrow.

After he finishes getting things ready, he waits for Ma to return from whomever called her for her skills in the healing, birthing and herbalist arts. She had taught him much of her "art", except the birthing part, it being considered forbidden for a man to see another man's wife's nakedness during the birthing of a child.

GM: NOTE: slight edit was necessary... previous posts.

GM said:
Only Vittero is currently able to manipulate Way. The other characters will be able as soon as they reach at least 1 rank in Adhesion.
GM said:
The Herbalist, Richelle, Raven Elk's adoptive mother, cannot manipulate Way, though she is respected for her knowledge of herbs and medicinal aid. She is often called upon to help with minor ailments or injuries of the miners and the birthing of children.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Y 0: Day 159: Bug Hunting

GM: The four friends have needed less of an excuse to go exploring before. This time, though it seems almost a usefull tasks, their journey is not only important to Richelle, the Herbalist, it is provisioned by everyone's parents.

Maka brings dried meats from his encampments. Raven Elk has a sample of the particular Mending Herb so that it will be recognized when located. Vittero and Taylar both bring skins full of water.

Day break is dead calm and already warm, as is expected at this time of year. The town is just starting to wake as the four are ready to depart.

Richelle comes out to see the crew off.
"Boys, I thank you for doing this. I know going after some bugs does not sound like much of a masculine task, but they were as big as a man's head and aggressive toward me when I approached. This may turn out to be nothing. The bugs may already be gone. Bring back some of the herb, if you can. You will need to walk for about a day, southeast. Good luck."

GM: The young men have been walking for two hours through the forested land, seeing normal birds and lizards and bugs when a small pod of pigs is noticed rooting around up ahead. On all of their previous excursions, the four have never managed to come upon any game animals, only varmints.

There appears to be 8 common, brown rooter sows and no boar. They are approximately 50 paces ahead and have not yet noticed the four young men.

Vittero whispers,
"This expedition is already looking up. We should try to bag one of those before they spook."
 
Last edited:

Kwargrow

Villager
Taylar grins and hefts his club. "I can already smell it roasting on the spit. I'll crack it's skull for us, just run them past me."
 
Last edited:

Waynan

Explorer
Raven Elk sees that the sows are not within range of his spear, but he formulates a plan and suggests it to his friends:

"How about, we try to flank them on both sides. Maka and I can go to the right, Vittero, you take the left. Taylar, if this works, you'll get to try and smash one on the head, hopefully before it, or they, take you down. Meanwhile, if Maka and Vittero can take some shots, maybe we can bag more than one and have some to take to our homes."
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Maka draws his bow, nocking an arrow, but putting no tension yet on the bowstring. He says nothing, but nods in agreement to Raven Elk, as he saunters off to the right flank, moving slowly and softly, being as quiet as possible, hoping to get with about 20 paces or so before attempting to take a shot.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Waynan

Explorer
Raven Elk, leading the way in order to actually get around the sows so that he might drive them toward Taylar, hopes that Vittero is flanking left to help to bottle them in and funnel them toward their ambush.
 
Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Y 0: Day 159: Closing in on Game

Raven Elk -
"How about, we try to flank them on both sides. Maka and I can go to the right, Vittero, you take the left. Taylar, if this works, you'll get to try and smash one on the head, hopefully before it, or they, take you down. Meanwhile, if Maka and Vittero can take some shots, maybe we can bag more than one and have some to take to our homes."
Vittero nods, taking an arrow and knocking it in ready. He circles far to the left, using the hilly land and large trees to attempt to somewhat obscure his movements. He periodically loses sight of the prey, but checks to make sure they have not changed location. He hopes to make it far around to the front of left so that by the time he takes a shot, they might run toward the waiting Taylar.

GM: At various point the flankers are able to see one another, that they maintain a similar pace. The pigs seem intent on their rooting and give little attention to their surroundings. Fortunately for the hunters, pigs are much less flighty than other game, and they are able to get within 4 paces (24') before Maka and Vittero attempt their first shot.
OOC: Projection:
Range: Self
Effectiveness:
  • Essence + Cohesion +
  • Collegiate
This passive technique is used to augment Combat tasks involving projectile weapons. The specific use of this technique is listed under each Combat Task to which it can be applied.

Lethality:
  • Body + Motility
  • Mind + Knowledge
  • Commercial
This active technique implies a knowledge of anatomy and vital areas best targeted during combat. As this tasks is specifically applied to augment combat, Collegiate Enhancement is not applicable.

Launch:
  • Projection (Collegiate Task) + Trajectory (Commercial Task) +
  • Body + Motility +
  • Mind + Knowledge +
  • Combat
This active task requires the use of a projectile, though any object launched from the hand, whether by natural or mechanical means is sufficient for the purpose of determining the outcome of this task. The advantage to the attacker of a projectile launch is that it cannot be defended. It must be avoided by using one of the Defensive Commercial tasks.

Maka: 10 + 18 + 18 + 87(d100) = 133
Vittero: 10 + 18 + 17 + 75(d100) = 130

OOC: Konokoro:
Affect: Self
Effectiveness:
  • Essence + Adhesion +
  • Collegiate
This is like a sixth sense. It is a paranormal spacial awareness. It is used to augment non-Collegiate Tasks such as defensiveness and perception. The specific use of this technique is listed under each Commercial Task to which it can be applied.

Defensiveness:
  • Mind + Knowledge +
  • Commercial
This passive technique is specifically applied to enhance counter-combat. The character must be conscious to utilize this technique. Collegiate enhancement is not applicable.

Range is medium so no penalty.
Pigs: 0 + 5 = 5
Maka: 133 - 5 = 128% * 10 = 13
  • Body: 8 - 13 = -5 incapacitated
  • Mind: 4 - 5 = -1 unconscious
Vittero: 130 - 5 = 125% * 10 = 13
  • Body: 8 - 13 = -5 incapacitated
  • Mind: 4 - 5 = -1 unconscious

GM: Maka and Vittero manage to take down one pig each. The rest of the sows immediately run. Three of the remaining ones happen to run directly toward Taylar's waiting position. One happens to run toward Raven's position.
OOC: Fury:
Affect: Self
Effectiveness:
  • Essence + Confluence +
  • Collegiate
This passive technique is used to augment the outcome of Combat and various Commercial tasks. The specific use of this technique is listed under each Combat and Commercial Task to which it can be applied.
Lethality:
  • Body + Motility
  • Mind + Knowledge
  • Commercial
This active technique implies a knowledge of anatomy and vital areas best targeted during combat. As this tasks is specifically applied to augment combat, Collegiate Enhancement is not applicable.
Attack:
  • Fury (Collegiate Task) + Lethality (Commercial Task) +
  • Body + Strength +
  • Mind + Knowledge +
  • Combat
This active task does not require the use of a weapon, as any object held in the hand or any part of a creature's body used to strike an opponent is sufficient for the purpose of determining the outcome of this task.

Raven Elk: 10 + 17 + 19 + 81 (d100) = 127
Taylar: 10 + 17 + 19 + 82 (d100) = 128

GM:
OOC: Defend:
  • Konokoro (Collegiate Task) + Defensiveness (Commercial Task) +
  • Body + Motility +
  • Mind + Knowledge +
  • Combat
This passive technique is considered reflexive or subconscious in nature, as it applies even if the defender is slower than the attacker. The defender must, however, be aware of the attacker, as being surprised allows for no defense.

Pig: 0 + 5 + 14 + 77 (d100) = 96
  • Attack: 127 - 96 = 31% * 20 = 6
  • Body: 8 - 6 = 2: hurt
Pig: 0 + 5 + 14 + 75 = 94
  • Attack: 128 - 94 = 34% * 10 = 3
  • Mind: 4 - 3 = 1: dazed

GM: The two injured pigs stop running and ready themselves to return attack. All remaining uninjured pigs flee. Sequencing needs to be determined. Raven Elk and Taylar are engaged in melee. Maka and Vittero are 8 paces away.
 
Last edited:

Kwargrow

Villager
If Taylar has room he will swing his club again, attempting to bring the little bacon down. If the pig is too close he will drop his club and pull his knife to finish the job.
 

Advertisement

Top