D&D 5E Twilight Cleric, a play report (DM's perspective)

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Hello

I have been running an online (audio and roll20) D&D game, and, due to lack of time, I'm running an adventure I've already ran previously with another group.

(this is not the topic of this post, but as an aside, this is an amazing time saver, I highly recommend it. It's also very fun to see how the new group approaches the challenges vs the other group)

I was initially concerned because the level of the new group was a bit lower than the previous one (6 vs 7). However, we have found that the aura of Twilight the cleric has is incredible. The constantly regenerating temp HP turns minion damage into a non issue, and dangerous "this will kill us if we don't do something!" effects like Evard's black tentacle are suddenly FAR less urgent (1d6+6 is not enough to soak 3d6 dmg/round, but it reaaaaly blunts it).

Our party also has 2 summoners - a shepherd druid and a blade-signer wizard with a bag of tricks and a familiar. The temp hp allows the party's minions to survive much longer, greatly increasing their utility and combat effectiveness.

When it first came out, people felt it was bit OP, but you have to test it to see. It seems preeeety potent on the table. What have been your experiences with the twilight domain cleric in play?

Last edited:

Yeah, it's very strong, especially in conjunction with a large number of low hp allies/summons. Fortunately the player who has it is not particularly tactical, so it lets them make a major contribution without needing to have tactical skill. I would hate to see it in the hands of a tactical genius.

I would suggest this change to start off with: the temp hp granted expire at the end of the recipient's next turn if unused.

That way at least they have to stay in the AoE and they can't take the temp hp on to the next fight.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
I’m in a game with a player who IS tactically strong, and the class is clearly overpowered. Especially because that channel divinity comes back on a short rest, so not one but multiple encounters per day end up being trivialized.

I also have no idea why this class needs martial weapon proficiency.

Zardnaar

Legend
I’m in a game with a player who IS tactically strong, and the class is clearly overpowered. Especially because that channel divinity comes back on a short rest, so not one but multiple encounters per day end up being trivialized.

Martial weapons mostly a waste.

Dump that divine strike ability for the extra 1d8 radiant damage ability in tasha's and spam cantrips.

The only cleric that comes close IMHO is the light cleric.

auburn2

Adventurer

I actually took it as a subclass for the martial weapons proficiency and agree there is no thematic and certainly no power reason the subclass needs this.

I just started playing one last week. If the ability was changed to give 1d6+level thp to each creature once instead of every turn I would still take it. Looking forward to level 6 when I can do this twice per short rest.

It's like they saw the shephard druid's Totem Spirit ability and said "that, but on steroids"

Yeah, the ability really seems overpowered. I think they forgot to add at least: the bonus temp hp are lost, when the aura ends. You could read it that way, but it is a stretch.

The aura also works nicely with shadow blade.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Yeah the Twilight Sanctuary power is really potent:

1. It provides a similar benefit to the heroism spell (bit more on average at low level a bit less at high level); but
2. It can easily affect the entire party + allies (30' radius is big), something only a really high level heroism spell can do, plus heroism is touch; and
3. It's not concentration! This is huge and makes it better than some high level auras!

But that's not all: you get night vision to 300 feet:!?! - and can give it to others too (granted for a limited time, but still). AND you can give yourself or someone else advantage on initiative.

All this by 2nd level.

We're starting a new campaign (going through the Tales from the Yawning Portal adventures) I'm going to suggest this to someone just so we can see if it's as amazing as it looks.

Remove ads