D&D 5E Twilight Cleric, a play report (DM's perspective)

It's powerful in my IWD game, that's for sure. It's also kind of tedious to run - the player having to constantly update people on how many bonus HP they have now, and the fact that it triggers at the end of each player's turn keeps confusing people. We also had to work out that it doesn't save someone who's bleeding out already.

I would pretty quickly change it to work at the end of each of the cleric's turns and off a single die roll. No, it's not identical, but it's also not really worth the practical difference in the effect in exchange for the increased overhead.

The bleeding out rule is in the PHB. Not sure if that's what you meant. You can see it in the Basic Rules under Combat > Damage & Healing > Temporary Hit points:

If you have 0 hit points, receiving temporary hit points doesn't restore you to consciousness or stabilize you. They can still absorb damage directed at you while you're in that state, but only true healing can save you.

Zardnaar

Legend
that's ... insignificant IMO :)

I have to say I'm surprised that no more people are not talking about it - I would have thought that a lot would have tried the class by now...

Clerics probably not overly popular class,it's in a splat not as many playing atm etc.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
that's ... insignificant IMO :)

I have to say I'm surprised that no more people are not talking about it - I would have thought that a lot would have tried the class by now...

Both in 3e and now 5e Clerics have been consistently top top tier in terms of power - yet there is still a lack of enthusiasm re: players playing them.

I'm starting a new campaign right now (Doing the Yawning portal adventures). 6 players and so far, NO ONE wants to play a cleric (actually so far no one has taken any healing of any kind, not even proficiency in the heal skill - will be interesting to see how it goes).

Remove ads