• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Two Dozen Nasty DM Tricks

Orius

Legend
The door is locked. There is a miniature Sphere of Annihilation suspended in the keyhole.

A little tricky when the door itself is a mimic. I'm not even sure if a mimic can take the form of a lock.

But sphere of annihilation in the keyhole is very fun. Especially if the door doesn't even go anywhere at all and is a red herring.

Lord Ipplepop

First Post
Raynard, my brother, if I ever start to irritate you... just, please, let me know and I will crawl away quietly... you are much too devious to mess with.

This is a great list that will have my characters cursing the day you ever learned to write.

The ones below make sense to me. Make sense = something I can see the bad guys thinking up and doing, so something I might someday use. The last one, I already have used.

1. Vials clearly marked as potions of healing filled instead with one of the following: poison, acid or "cause wounds" (this last one is particularly nasty, as a detect magic spell will not reveal the trick).

5. Two words: bridge mimic.

7. A chromatic dragon uses "alter self" to appear as a metallic dragon with the same breath type.

15. A trap wounds the target, causing bleeding, and then dumps to character into a shark infested pool, tank or pit.

16. In a room where spiked walls start to close in on the PCs there is a trapdoor in the ceiling. The trapdoor is fitted with a scythe blade trap, beheading those who pass through.

18. Kobolds, goblins or other small nasty humanoids build the access tunnel to their lair/hoard so bigger folk have to crawl through, then add a second tunnel directly above with spear holes.

21. Illusions create images of menacing, huge webs on the ceiling and obscure a pit trap in the floor.

22. Things to pit in pit traps: spikes, rust monsters, cockatrices, black pudding, water, diseased rats.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads