Two handed Flurry?

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
If I were a monk and were using a club, could I swing it in both hands (for the extra strength damage) while using Flury of Blows? Would it matter if it were a quarterstaff instead (which is an approved "monk weapon" in OA)?

Or is a two-handed attack incompatible with a flury?

Zhure

First Post
I believe monks using two-handed weapons get 1.5x STR mod for damage with a monk weapon. It certainly makes sense. Since the FAQ points out they don't use the 1/2x STR Mod for off-hand, it's possible the Sage would rule otherwise.

Sorry that wasn't terribly helpful.
Greg

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Xahn'Tyr said:
If I were a monk and were using a club, could I swing it in both hands (for the extra strength damage) while using Flury of Blows? Would it matter if it were a quarterstaff instead (which is an approved "monk weapon" in OA)?

Or is a two-handed attack incompatible with a flury?

I would say no to using a club in both hands while doing a Flurry of Blows.

When using a quarterstaff in a Flurry of Blows, I believe you would be striking with both ends of the quarterstaff (in double-weapon mode), not wielding it in two-handed mode. Only your normal strength bonus on all attacks.

Tony Vargas

Legend
You cannot perform a flurry unless using unarmed strikes or monk weapons. All the monk weapons (for medium monks) are /small/, so they can't take the extra STR damage for being used two-handed. So, while you could conceivably hold a monk weapon in two hands and Flurry you get nothing for using it two-handed (well, except it being harder to disarm).

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Tony Vargas said:
You cannot perform a flurry unless using unarmed strikes or monk weapons. All the monk weapons (for medium monks) are /small/, so they can't take the extra STR damage for being used two-handed. So, while you could conceivably hold a monk weapon in two hands and Flurry you get nothing for using it two-handed (well, except it being harder to disarm).
In OA, quarterstaff is a monk weapon.

And I agree with Caliban, 1xstr mod on all attacks. It seems to me like you are attacking with both ends.

--Side Kick Spikey

Aahz

First Post
What about a three-section staff? IIRC, it is a monk weapon, not a double weapon and large, requiring a medium size monk to wield it in two hands.

Three-section staffs are out of Sword and Fist.

Christopher J. Bono

tarkin

First Post
There is also a feat that lets a monk can use to turn a non-monk weapon into a Monk weapon.

From reading the SRD online, quoted below:

If armed with one such weapon, the monk makes the extra attack either with that weapon or unarmed. If armed with two such weapons, she uses one for the regular attack (or attacks) and the other for the extra attack. In any case, her damage bonus on the attack with her off hand is not reduced.

This gives some contradictory clues.

I would rule that this situation (two handed weapon making an Flurry) qualifies as armed with a monk weapon in each hand. One hand is used for the regular attack and the other is used for the Extra attack. Thus, she does not get the Strength bonus, (but as noted above, she does not have the penalty for using the off hand).

This is my opinion, not anything I read.

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Xahn'Tyr said:

Could you tell me where that is, or paste the text in here?
It's in the elf dragon mag is I remember right. It basically lets a monk chose a small weapon and make it a monk weapon - so the 2 handed thing would never come into play.

Oh wait, I may have the feat here.....

Nope, can't find it.

You have to be a 6th level monk and it has to be a small weapon.

I think that's pretty much it.

--Unsure Spikey

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Ah, found it:

Unorthodox Flurry (Special)
You are trained in a monastic tradition that uses nontraditional weapons.
Prerequisite*: Monk level 6th+.
Benefit: Chose one light weapon. You become proficient with that weapon and can use it as a special monk weapon. You can use your unarmed base attack bonus when striking with it, including your more favorable number of attacks per round. You can also make a flurry of blows attack with this weapon. (You cannot choose a light exotic weapon unless you already have proficiency with that weapon.)
Normal: Without this feat, monks only gain the benefits with specific weapons: the kama, siangham, or nunchaku.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases