• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Two New D&D Books Revealed: Feywild & Strixhaven Mage School

Amazon has revealed the next two D&D hardcovers! The Wild Beyond the Witchlight is a feywild adventure due in September, and Curriculum of Chaos is a Magic: the Gathering setting of Strixhaven, which looks like a Harry Potter-esque mage school, set for November. https://www.amazon.com/dp/0786967277/?fbclid=IwAR0XJFcrq5jcCsPLRpMx--hEeSOXpDNFG1_tT6JUwB0hhXp-0wwrcXo6KhQ The Wild Beyond the...

Amazon has revealed the next two D&D hardcovers! The Wild Beyond the Witchlight is a feywild adventure due in September, and Curriculum of Chaos is a Magic: the Gathering setting of Strixhaven, which looks like a Harry Potter-esque mage school, set for November.

The Wild Beyond the Witchlight is D&D's next big adventure storyline that brings the wicked whimsy of the Feywild to fifth edition for the first time.

The recent Unearthed Arcana, Folk of the Feywild, contained the fairy, hobgoblin of the Feywild, owlfolk, and rabbitfolk. UA is usually a good preview of what's in upcoming D&D books.

1622920152629.png

Curriculum of Chaos is an upcoming D&D release set in the Magic: The Gathering world of Strixhaven -- a brand new MtG set only just launched.

Strixhaven is a school of mages on the plane of Arcavios, an elite university with five rival colleges founded by dragons: Silverquill (eloquence), Prismari (elemental arts), Witherbloom (life and death), Lorehold (archaeomancy), and Quandrix (numeromancy). You can read more about the M:tG set here.

Screen Shot 2021-06-05 at 8.43.56 PM.png

You will be able to tune into WotC's streamed event D&D Live on July 16 and 17 for details on both, including new character options, monsters, mechanics, story hooks, and more!

Dire Bare

Legend
So, based on this cover going around, I am reminded of this tease from the latest D&D Studio blog post:

"Isolde, leader of the Carnival, has ties to more than one group of otherworldly entertainers. What could have become of her former crew?"

From the Ravenlodt book, we know that Isolde used to run a Feywild carnival, and traded carnivals with a shady couple of Shadar-Kai.
Aren't all shadar-kai, by definition, "shady"? :)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Aren't all shadar-kai, by definition, "shady"? :)
Based on the story in Ravenloft, they are more sketchy than your average Shadar-Kai even. It really stood out for me in Van Richten’s as unusually well developed for not going anywhere (most of the other seeds were both less developed, and more obvios where you would want to go with it next).

Quickleaf

Legend
I didn't know there was a solo 4e adventure to follow the 4e red box?! I wonder if it has any clues?

The Witchlight Fens was a location name on the map of the 4th edition's Nentir Vale. That solo adventure – Ghost Tower of the Witchlight Fens – set the stage for DUNGEON 182's The Dungeon of the Ghost Tower (by Robert Schwalb). Basically, it's a riff on C-2: Ghost Tower of Inverness, just being a little smaller dungeon, a little less "funhouse dungeon", and with a decidedly darker theme. In the solo adventure there's a case (like a physical box) you and the elf Sareth are seeking from goblins which, in the DUNGEON adventure ends up being the Anarusi Codex. The Anarusi Codex is a pretty cliche necromantic tome penned by an evil noble named Anarus Kelton that gives you the power to change your spell damage type to necrotic & to turn your slain foes into zombies, basically.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The Witchlight Fens was a location name on the map of the 4th edition's Nentir Vale. That solo adventure – Ghost Tower of the Witchlight Fens – set the stage for DUNGEON 182's The Dungeon of the Ghost Tower (by Robert Schwalb). Basically, it's a riff on C-2: Ghost Tower of Inverness, just being a little smaller dungeon, a little less "funhouse dungeon", and with a decidedly darker theme. In the solo adventure there's a case (like a physical box) you and the elf Sareth are seeking from goblins which, in the DUNGEON adventure ends up being the Anarusi Codex. The Anarusi Codex is a pretty cliche necromantic tome penned by an evil noble named Anarus Kelton that gives you the power to change your spell damage type to necrotic & to turn your slain foes into zombies, basically.
It would be interesting if this Adventies into the Nentir Vale instead of the Forgotten Realms..

Quickleaf

Legend
It would be interesting if this Adventies into the Nentir Vale instead of the Forgotten Realms..
It would yeah. The adventure – well I don't know much about the solo adventure, looks composed well enough – but the DUNGEON 182 adventure isn't one of Robert Schwalb's better works. It's good, but like most of 4e's DUNGEON adventures, there's really not much story there. It reads like a pretty thin foundation on which to develop an entire hardcover based on. And honestly the same goes for Ghost Tower of Inverness, which I coincidentally converted and ran back in 4e.

However, I do think the idea of there being 3 legendary ghost towers which overlap intermittently with the Material Plane (e.g. one of which is the Ghost Tower of the Witchlight Fens, maybe another the Ghost of Inverness or whatever) has good potential as a framing device for an adventure's structure. Just as a way to organize things.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
I've been looking at the Feywild lore recently (mostly Heroes of the Feywild and Underdark, which details locations in the Feywild's Underdark).

Basically, hobgoblins once tried to lead goblinoid armies to conquer the Feywild, but failed. Now the major goblin presence in the Feywild is Nachtur, a kingdom hidden in caverns beneath forested hills and ruled by a hobgoblin mage called the Great Gark, who has an alliance with the greatest of the fomorian lords, First Lord Thrumbolg, and sends goblins to reinforce the defenses of Thrumbolg's Underdark portal-filled fortress of Mag Tureah.

The fact that Feywild Hobgoblins was one of the races in a recent Unearthed Arcana has me hopeful that Nachtur may be making a return to D&D lore. I hope a good deal of 4E's Feywild details are reintroduced, seeing as 4E paid much more attention to the fey and developing their plane of existence than any other edition before it (where the Plane of Faerie was a barely mentioned afterthought).
You’re talking my language here. I too adored the Feydark chapter in Underdark and Heroes of the Feywild.

“Into the Unknown: The Dungeon Survivor Guide” has a LITTLE bit of additional detail as it’s sort of a player’s companion to the DM’s product that was Underdark. Specifically, it gave us fully-playable Svirfneblin, Goblins, and Kobolds at LAST in the last publishing year of 4e. These were previously semi-playable due to temporary player character stats in the backs of the first two Monster Manuals, but they had never had full character ancestry write ups for the edition before then. So there’s a bit more there.

Remove ads

Remove ads