D&D 5E Two New D&D Books Revealed: Feywild & Strixhaven Mage School

Amazon has revealed the next two D&D hardcovers! The Wild Beyond the Witchlight is a feywild adventure due in September, and Curriculum of Chaos is a Magic: the Gathering setting of Strixhaven, which looks like a Harry Potter-esque mage school, set for November. https://www.amazon.com/dp/0786967277/?fbclid=IwAR0XJFcrq5jcCsPLRpMx--hEeSOXpDNFG1_tT6JUwB0hhXp-0wwrcXo6KhQ The Wild Beyond the...

Amazon has revealed the next two D&D hardcovers! The Wild Beyond the Witchlight is a feywild adventure due in September, and Curriculum of Chaos is a Magic: the Gathering setting of Strixhaven, which looks like a Harry Potter-esque mage school, set for November.

The Wild Beyond the Witchlight is D&D's next big adventure storyline that brings the wicked whimsy of the Feywild to fifth edition for the first time.

The recent Unearthed Arcana, Folk of the Feywild, contained the fairy, hobgoblin of the Feywild, owlfolk, and rabbitfolk. UA is usually a good preview of what's in upcoming D&D books.

1622920152629.png

Curriculum of Chaos is an upcoming D&D release set in the Magic: The Gathering world of Strixhaven -- a brand new MtG set only just launched.

Strixhaven is a school of mages on the plane of Arcavios, an elite university with five rival colleges founded by dragons: Silverquill (eloquence), Prismari (elemental arts), Witherbloom (life and death), Lorehold (archaeomancy), and Quandrix (numeromancy). You can read more about the M:tG set here.

Screen Shot 2021-06-05 at 8.43.56 PM.png

You will be able to tune into WotC's streamed event D&D Live on July 16 and 17 for details on both, including new character options, monsters, mechanics, story hooks, and more!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Why? Why today? Why not two hours earlier?

How I picture Amazon: "So...did he click send on the EN World mailing list yet? So the weekly update is going out now? And it's too far along to stop and edit it? Perfect, release the leak!"
Could be worse! The Marvel supers game got announced while we were recording the podcast yesterday! Didn't see it until after we wrapped!

Looking at the blog: Who We Are And What We Do | Dungeons & Dragons
It says:
Code:
Later in the year, Chris will return with our big summer adventure, James Wyatt will deliver a substantially improved version of a concept that I initiated myself, and Amanda Hamon will close us out with a project that was jointly conceived by herself and several other studio members. As usual, Jeremy Crawford is working with all of our leads, overseeing mechanical content and rules development.

Does Strixhaven sound more like "a substantially improved version of a concept that [Ray Winniger] initiated" or "a project that was jointly conceived by [Amanda Hamon] and several other studio members"?

Especially as Wyatt is the MtG lore guru. He does lore more than mechanics. He was likely brought back onto the DnD team to do annual MtG books. Winniger initiated Stryxhaven and Wyatt polished it.
Then we have something else coming in December or January by Hamon that may or may not be a book. It's a project. Who knows?

Then in 2022 we have one or two classic settings. Likely one with a third in 2023

Strixhaven is literally a brand new set and looking into it on wiki James Wyatt wasn't apart of the design or vision teams that created it, so he'd have no more insight into that setting then Amanda Hammon would.

Still by jointly conceived by Amanda Hammon and other members of the studio likely included James Wyatt, but she is the project lead because James Wyatt likely has a much more difficult assignment then a regular MtG setting book, that would require an experienced hand at the till then the Strixhaven book.

I believe that Ray Winninger actually initiated a Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting Book last year in response to the setting scandals if 2020, the fruits of which include Lorendrow, Aevendrow, and the new less cowardly Kobolds.

And he turned to his most experienced setting book designer who wrote the FR setting book for 3.5 edition, James Wyatt, who also wrote the 3.5 update of FR book, the Draconomicon, and other FR setting books. James Wyatt also has experience with bigger settings then the MtG settings, helping twice with Eberrons Setting books.

So when Ray Winninger needs someone to handle WotC's most popular, profitable setting, the Forgotten Realms, which is the Throughbred Stallion of WotC settings, who else would he turn to in the D&D studio, especially in a time of such controversy?

Weiley31

Legend
Lets not also forget that there have been Fey Owlfolk in DND via the Hsiao. AND in both Plane Shift articles, there were Aven. Hawk/Ibis headed ones in Amonkhet and Owl headed ones in Dominia, both had Plane Shift articles.

Strixhaven's Owls could be the Aven stats as an official player option "now" with Strixhaven, being promoted from its slot in the Plane Shift articles. The Owlfolk in the Fey UA would mostly likely be the Lineage and in a way represent the Hsiao.

Both of these would fit Strixhaven/DND's trend of crossovers with MtG settings and with an existing creature in DND.

Kurotowa

Legend
So here's my thought. The Strixhaven book might be tagged a MtG crossover, but it's kind of not. When you consider the amount of lead time a book or card set takes, and how closely this book is following the first Strixhaven card set, they had to be in development at the same time. And they're not going to be happening in isolation from each other. Which makes this look way more like a collaborative project between the MtG and D&D offices at WotC than it does the D&D side taking a MtG created setting and converting it for D&D.

What that results in is going to be interesting to see.

It is kind of weird that the books for September and November were leaked, November presumably being the last book of the year. This could indicated the last major product isn't a book at all, but instead a boxed set of some kind.

Yeah WotC doesn't seem to like putting out products in December. I think despite the Forbes article, I think the June Dragon+ could announce a book for July.

imagineGod

Legend
Are Magic Players really flocking to D&D in such numbers?

I see much more exciting fresh products ftom third party publishers like the Italians who are publishing Dante's Inferno for 5e.

I think my purchase of WoTC ends with the Ravenloft special edition now.

Remove ads

Remove ads