D&D 5E Two New D&D Books Revealed: Feywild & Strixhaven Mage School

Amazon has revealed the next two D&D hardcovers! The Wild Beyond the Witchlight is a feywild adventure due in September, and Curriculum of Chaos is a Magic: the Gathering setting of Strixhaven, which looks like a Harry Potter-esque mage school, set for November. https://www.amazon.com/dp/0786967277/?fbclid=IwAR0XJFcrq5jcCsPLRpMx--hEeSOXpDNFG1_tT6JUwB0hhXp-0wwrcXo6KhQ The Wild Beyond the...

Amazon has revealed the next two D&D hardcovers! The Wild Beyond the Witchlight is a feywild adventure due in September, and Curriculum of Chaos is a Magic: the Gathering setting of Strixhaven, which looks like a Harry Potter-esque mage school, set for November.

The Wild Beyond the Witchlight is D&D's next big adventure storyline that brings the wicked whimsy of the Feywild to fifth edition for the first time.

The recent Unearthed Arcana, Folk of the Feywild, contained the fairy, hobgoblin of the Feywild, owlfolk, and rabbitfolk. UA is usually a good preview of what's in upcoming D&D books.

1622920152629.png

Curriculum of Chaos is an upcoming D&D release set in the Magic: The Gathering world of Strixhaven -- a brand new MtG set only just launched.

Strixhaven is a school of mages on the plane of Arcavios, an elite university with five rival colleges founded by dragons: Silverquill (eloquence), Prismari (elemental arts), Witherbloom (life and death), Lorehold (archaeomancy), and Quandrix (numeromancy). You can read more about the M:tG set here.

Screen Shot 2021-06-05 at 8.43.56 PM.png

You will be able to tune into WotC's streamed event D&D Live on July 16 and 17 for details on both, including new character options, monsters, mechanics, story hooks, and more!

Dragonsbane

Proud Grognard
Wow. Strixhaven art makes it look like it is for 10 year olds. That owl kills it for me. Will this game be filled with anthropomorphic races and pokemon pets?!? Thumbs down.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Wow. Strixhaven art makes it look like it is for 10 year olds. That owl kills it for me. Will this game be filled with anthropomorphic races and pokemon pets?!? Thumbs down.
The setting does have several anthropomorphic races, so I'm assuming they'll be detailed in the setting book.

The game does have an unfortunate lack of Pokemon-style monsters, but I don't think the Strixhaven book will fill that need.

Stormonu

Legend
Opposite reaction here. Bring on the anthropomorphic races, and I love pets/NPC s/followers in games. I’ve been wanting a Harry Potterish game world, and this looks like it will be it, though I would have gone slightly different on the “Houses”.

And this guy is 51, BTW

Yaarel

He Mage
Heh, I am less of a fan of anthropomorphic animals. But their genre seems to be popular, currently.

To be fair, D&D tropes traditionally borrow from ancient beliefs that were likewise anthropomorphic animals, including dragons as intelligent snakes, and sphynxes as human-animal hybrid. The werewolf is a humanimal. Certain angels are humanimals.

Personally, I would rather the animal be an animal. I enjoy the werewolf because one can be fully human or fully animal, so I dont mind the medial phase in between.

The dragonborn annoys me, but if it had a tail so it looks like a dragon, that is cool. If there is a creature that can transition back-and-forth between dragon and human, that would be cool. Of course, there are dragons that can shapeshift, so this is possible, tho not designed as a playable character.

In any case, if there are players who enjoy humanimals, they are welcome to play D&D too.

Remove ads

Remove ads