Two New Metamagic Feats - Opinions?

Crothian

First Post
billking said:
My two cents: the reactivation time should be EXACTLY equal to the casting time. I don't see why an suspended, quickened spell shouldn't be reactivated as a free action... haste with both would be 9th level, and that's about the right power level. Also, wording it this way closes a loophole in summon monster that no one has probably noticed yet.

What's the loop hole?

Kyamsil

First Post
billking said:
My two cents: the reactivation time should be EXACTLY equal to the casting time. I don't see why an suspended, quickened spell shouldn't be reactivated as a free action... haste with both would be 9th level, and that's about the right power level. Also, wording it this way closes a loophole in summon monster that no one has probably noticed yet.

I agree with you on the reactivation time. The prerequisites, Extend Spell for both and Suspend spell for Greater Suspend Spell. and let them at +2 and +3 levels.

billking

First Post
Crothian said:

What's the loop hole?
The summon monster line is a line of combat spells with a full-round casting time. The loophole is that when they are suspended, they only take a standard action to reactivate. That, on top of the fact that it's a combat-oriented spell with a duration (that's what this metamagic feat is best at), makes the feat, as originally written, unbalanced in regards to the summon monster line. Of course, I'm not really worried about this in the hands of a wizard... summon monster is a pretty weak spell compared to the host of arcane goodies available... but with a cleric this could be a little too good.

Larcen

Explorer
You know, I hate to say it, but I think this thread is starting to take a turn I wasn't expecting. When I created these feats I honestly only wanted to create something that would take advantage of all the unused durations so many spells had after they served their immediate purpose.

For example, after you've checked out a room with Detect Magic you usually still have some duration left on the spell. Wouldn't it be nice to save it for later?

Or you just finished a battle and your Shield spell still has a few rounds left to it...too bad you have see them go to waste. If only you can save those few rounds of potential until the next battle...

Basically, it was simply a way to turn one casting of a spell into two or three castings of lesser durations. I'm sure we can all think of tons of utility, non-combat spells that would benefit from this type of thing.

It's unfortunate that you guys are finding all these killer, unbalancing, combat oriented uses for it. Well, maybe it's not unfortunate, I mean better this stuff comes up now, during the development phase right? But, it does mean the feats need a lot more tweaking before they become what I had originally invisioned.

I think Billking has the right idea then. In order to keep this from becoming a powerful "sneak attack" type of feat, it may be best to keep the reactivation time exactly the same as the spell's original casting time. You know, it even makes sense somehow. That way, the feat truly becomes what I just described: two or three shorter-duration castings for the price of one.

Maybe the feats should be changed drastically and renamed to "Split Spell"?? That way, the duration is not really being suspended at all. Instead, the caster takes a spell and splits it into two or three equal duration pieces, all needing to be cast just like the original. How about that?

Heck, it can even be recorded on the character sheet as two entries: "Split Shield 1" and "Split Shield 2", both pieces occupying a single higher level spell slot. The fact that they are listed as being Split, we know that there durations should be half normal.

Of course with the Split versions we then lose the advantage that the Suspend versions had of being able to split the duration anywhere we wanted, not just in half.

So, what say, Suspend Spell or Split Spell??

Last edited:

Cabral

First Post
Here's my suggestion:

Suspend Spell [Metamagic]
Benefit: A suspended spell can have it's duration temporarily paused by the spellcaster. At anytime before the spell's duration expires, the caster can suspend any unspent duration for a later time by making a concentration check (DC 10 + the spell's level). Each time a spell is suspended, the total duration is reduced by 1 round. The caster may at any time use a standard action to attempt to resume the spell by making a concentration check equal to 10 + the spell's level + the number of rounds since the spell was suspened / 5, rounded down). Resuming a spell counts as casting a spell as far as restrictions on number of spells per round a spellcaster can cast. Spells with an instantaneous, or permanent duration are not affected by this feat. A suspended spell uses up a spell slot of the same level as the normal spell.

Greater Suspend Spell [Metamagic]
Prerequsites: Suspend Spell, Quicken Spell
Benefit: As the Suspend Spell feat, but suspending a spell does not reduce the total duration by a round, and resuming the spell is a free action. A greater suspended spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell's actual level.

Hmm. I would make it only one spell.
Suspend Spell:
Prerequisite: Extend Spell
For every additonal "intervall" of working, you have to prepare it 1 slot higher.
(So if you want to split your Shield Spell into 3 sections, you would have to memorize it as a 4th level spell, if you want to split in in 2 as a 2nd level spell.)
I suggest using a standard action for reactivating the spell.
During the time the spell is suspended, a spellcaster using Detect Magic or similar means of detecting or identifieng spells can make the normal spell craft check to detect the spell.
Dispel Magic can be targeted on the spell.

Optional: When you have a spell "frozen" in this way, your concentration checks are reduced by 2 per suspended spell, since you still have to spend some of your concentration on keeping this spell. You can give up this penalty be losing the suspended spell or whenever you reactivate it.

Remove ads