Two New Settings For D&D This Year

if it comes out this year i would agree with you. Possibly published by a third party company that has a good reputation (Green Ronin etc) However if it’s coming next year I would stake all the money in my pockets that it will be a Curse of Strahd style book. Campaign with background and new monsters etc. Curse of Strahd was too successful not to repeat!

if it comes out this year i would agree with you. Possibly published by a third party company that has a good reputation (Green Ronin etc)

However if it’s coming next year I would stake all the money in my pockets that it will be a Curse of Strahd style book. Campaign with background and new monsters etc. Curse of Strahd was too successful not to repeat!

Staffan

Legend
I wouldn't object to a M:tG campaign setting. Anything that isn't pseudo-medieval would be welcome at this point.

Thing is, there isn't one M:tG setting. There are something like 15-20 planes with major expansions set on them, plus numerous ones referenced in sets like Unstable, Planechase, Magic: Origins, and so on. We have Dominaria (which used to be the main one), Rabiah (Arabian Nights), Rath (Tempest block, absorbed into Dominaria), Mercadia, Mirrodin/New Phyrexia, Kamigawa, Ravnica, Lorwyn/Shadowmoor, Alara (which in turn is made up of five different "shards" that each miss two colors of mana), Zendikar, Innistrad, Theros, Tarkir, Kaladesh, Amonkhet, and Ixalan. There are certainly some commonalities between these settings, but also many, many differences. The elves of Ravnica are not the same as those of Lorwyn, and the goblins of Kamigawa are not the same as those of Mercadia.

And Wizards works through these settings at a tremendous pace, about two per year (although they mix in some returning ones as well - out of the planes listed above, Dominaria, Mirrodin, Ravnica, Zendikar, and Innistrad have had 2 or more blocks set there). That would make it hard to do a D&D/Magic crossover product that would stay relevant very long.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
And Wizards works through these settings at a tremendous pace, about two per year (although they mix in some returning ones as well - out of the planes listed above, Dominaria, Mirrodin, Ravnica, Zendikar, and Innistrad have had 2 or more blocks set there). That would make it hard to do a D&D/Magic crossover product that would stay relevant very long.

I agree there are a lot of worlds. So I would focus on the "core" of the setting first.

Re above: I would not be concerned at all with staying "relevant" as blocks get released. All I am looking for and would be happy with, is a core setting and framework that mixes DnD and MtG.

After all, one day after they released such a setting, I would likely have added my own plane or two to the setting. And NPC Planeswalkers. Huzzah!

gyor

Legend
If they did a MtG book or product, it would likely focus on the planes we've already seen, plus the core, with maybe blurbs about the rest. I don't think each plane will get its own setting book any more then every domain in Ravenloft got its own setting book.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the MtG D&D guide included the previous MtG D&D setting guides to specific MtG planes, plus a few more within it, and blurbs on the rest, leaving it to DMSGUILD to fill in the rest. WotC likes to recycle in their products.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I agree there are a lot of worlds. So I would focus on the "core" of the setting first.

Re above: I would not be concerned at all with staying "relevant" as blocks get released. All I am looking for and would be happy with, is a core setting and framework that mixes DnD and MtG.

After all, one day after they released such a setting, I would likely have added my own plane or two to the setting. And NPC Planeswalkers. Huzzah!

The main thing would be to capture M:tG specific elements that transcend set, like the color system. Get that down, and the rules can remain relevant over time.

Staffan

Legend

Thing is, MtG doesn't really have a core - not anymore. It used to be Dominaria, but until this year's nostalgia-focused expansion set, the last time Magic went to Dominaria was Time Spiral block which was over a decade ago. The commonalities are mostly in the colors themselves - both in what they can do (e.g. Green having big creatures, pump effects, and land ramping) and what they represent (Green represents, among other things, growth). That kind of thing would be hard to transfer over to D&D without rewriting it completely, moreso than even Dark Sun.

bmfrosty

Explorer
Now that is intriguing. Is WotC going to farm out Forgotten Realms regions to 3rd parties? That would be an interesting and welcome development, as long as that are done well!

I think WotC is probably granting license. I think they're starting to work out where they want to build APs, and are willing to let others play with other areas on a case by case basis.

Remove ads

Remove ads