• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Two New Settings For D&D This Year

if it comes out this year i would agree with you. Possibly published by a third party company that has a good reputation (Green Ronin etc) However if it’s coming next year I would stake all the money in my pockets that it will be a Curse of Strahd style book. Campaign with background and new monsters etc. Curse of Strahd was too successful not to repeat!

if it comes out this year i would agree with you. Possibly published by a third party company that has a good reputation (Green Ronin etc)

However if it’s coming next year I would stake all the money in my pockets that it will be a Curse of Strahd style book. Campaign with background and new monsters etc. Curse of Strahd was too successful not to repeat!

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Based on the spelling of “belles” I’m guessing a new streaming group, like Sirens of the Realms.

edit

After 30 seconds I thought... $5 says this is a Holly Condrad DMed Planescape game.
There are 8 symbols shown, and the Twitter account is following 8 personal accounts, all of which are women who seem to be involved with streaming and D&D, including Holly Conrad. I think you've hit the nail on the head.

gyor

Legend
Account was made in May, but first tweet was today, and immediately retweeted by Greg. Definitely seems to be some intent here.

Hell's Belles is interesting...the tweet references a sound across the planes, but the spelling itself indicates women.

I wonder if its Planescape as the first setting if it will have Planetouched that Mearls was talking about before as a seperste race from Tieflings and the like. Or other Planescape races.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Has anyone else seen this from twitter? Greg Tito retweeted this just a short time ago from an account made in may and this is the only tweet from it.
[video]https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1003669561768599552[/video]

Interesting. Assuming that each glyph represents a different D&D setting of sorts (and not something else), I would guess the following.

Top Left -- lower planes . . . Planescape?
Top Right -- no idea
Right -- Grayhawk
Lower Right -- Eberron?
Bottom -- Dark Sun
Lower Left -- Dragonlance? If I squint, it kinda looks like a flag attached to a pole, fluttering in the breeze.
Left -- Mystara/Hollow World
Center -- Spelljammer?

Staffan

Legend
Without psionics up and running (and thuroly playtested), Dark Sun and Eberron are impossible this year.
Eberron can work fine without psionics. The main source of psionics in the setting is a villain faction that's primarily located on another continent, and their foes, and you can easily run a dozen campaigns in Eberron without using them.

Eberron is friendly to psionics: it provides a place where they fit in, and it's a cool place. But it doesn't require them - the place is out of the way unless you actively involve it.

Based on the spelling of “belles” I’m guessing a new streaming group, like Sirens of the Realms.

edit

After 30 seconds I thought... $5 says this is a Holly Condrad DMed Planescape game.

There's already a Holly Conrad DMed Planescape game but a 2nd one would be fun! :)

Trapped in the Birdcage started back in February. I'm way behind, but I started trying to annotate the canonical Planescape references on my Rule of 3 intro to Planescape blog. Hoping to get caught up over the next few weeks. (Been swamped with my oldest kid's high school graduation and subsequent college planning).

Last edited by a moderator:

yeah - I am really thinking a Planescape/Spelljammer combo - lots of groundwork for Planescape as has been mentioned; and for spelljammer Neogi and Giff are in books, and mention of a spelljamming helm in the upcoming books. Themetically a ships sailing astral seas fits within Planescape (I know others have mentioned that too). And that would open up for DMGuild, and both those setting have a lot of devoted fans which would drive lots of material there. It also just expands the 5E FR based setting rather than being a competitor for it. And as others have mentioned once that is in place, you have a mechanism for PCs to get to other classic D&D settings, which ties them back to the FR centered approach.

There are 8 symbols shown, and the Twitter account is following 8 personal accounts, all of which are women who seem to be involved with streaming and D&D, including Holly Conrad. I think you've hit the nail on the head.
That sounds great. Holly has great charisma and presence, is a long time gamer, and is a nut about PlaceScape. That sounds very watchable.

Yaarel

He-Mage
Eberron can work fine without psionics. The main source of psionics in the setting is a villain faction that's primarily located on another continent, and their foes, and you can easily run a dozen campaigns in Eberron without using them.

Eberron is friendly to psionics: it provides a place where they fit in, and it's a cool place. But it doesn't require them - the place is out of the way unless you actively involve it.

One of the Eberron races is a psionic race. The flavor of psionics is part of what makes the setting work.

I doubt it will be Eberron this year.

Also, the artificer is coming out no time soon.

Remove ads

Remove ads