Two New Settings For D&D This Year

if it comes out this year i would agree with you. Possibly published by a third party company that has a good reputation (Green Ronin etc) However if it’s coming next year I would stake all the money in my pockets that it will be a Curse of Strahd style book. Campaign with background and new monsters etc. Curse of Strahd was too successful not to repeat!

if it comes out this year i would agree with you. Possibly published by a third party company that has a good reputation (Green Ronin etc)

However if it’s coming next year I would stake all the money in my pockets that it will be a Curse of Strahd style book. Campaign with background and new monsters etc. Curse of Strahd was too successful not to repeat!

Yaarel

He Mage
I've heard multiple people online say this would "surprise people." I am starting to think it is an all-new setting.

If it would ‘surprise’ people, how could it appeal to ‘hardcore’ D&D players?

Obviously, the setting has to be one of the more prominent settings.

So, ruling out the unlikely ones leaves one or few possibilities.

You show your "hardcore" gamer credentials by liking a setting that has almost been forgotten: any johnnie-come-lately fan can like FR or Eberron, but it takes a real fan to appreciate [insert name of obscure setting]. Since it is an obscure setting, it is surprising.

The as-if ‘support’ for the Forgotten Realms sun elf is mentioned in the 5e Players Handbook. That 5e version that changes the sun elf (+2 Intelligence, +0 Dexterity, −1 Constitution) into the same thing as a high elf (+2 Dexterity, +1 Intelligence) feels wrong for the Forgotten Realms setting.
The wood elf is more complicated.

The 5e wood elf (+2 Dexterity, +1 Wisdom) represents well the Forgotten Realms wild elf (+2 Dexterity, −2 Intelligence).

But there is no Forgotten Realms wood elf (with +2 Strength), nor Greyhawk wood elf (with +1 Strength), for that matter.

It does not feel wrong at all. There really only needs to be two types of the default elf. This is easier and simpler to adapt. High Elves 5e represent stuff like the High Elf, Grey Elf, Sun Elf and Moon Elf. As they all fall into similar culture and appearance. Wood Elves 5e represent the fairly simple wild and wood elf types.

Then Eladrin represent the Feywild Elves.
Sea Elves the Underwater Elves.
Shadar Kai the Shadowfell Elves.
Avariel the Sky Elves.
Drow the Underground Elves.

GarrettKP

Explorer

The article said the 2 summer releases would be for hardcore fans. Not the final one at the end of the year.

That already is a thing. Trapped in the Brid Cage. Unless you think she is doing 2.
Maybe. She could be running two. Or she could just be a player.
But, as mentioned, the Hell’s Belles account is follows the D&D twitter account and eight female streamers. So almost certainly a new live game.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Do we have symbols for particular settings?

Not exactly. At least, so far as I am aware, there aren't.

However, there are the old logos for the different settings.
The old Dark Sun logo really does look similar to the bottom logo in the video.
If you rotated the lower left one to be horizontal, it would look even more like the old Dragonlance logo.

GarrettKP

Explorer
Maybe. She could be running two. Or she could just be a player.
But, as mentioned, the Hell’s Belles account is follows the D&D twitter account and eight female streamers. So almost certainly a new live game.

Sure. I don't think it connects to these setting products or whatever they are. Just was of note.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I've heard multiple people online say this would "surprise people." I am starting to think it is an all-new setting.

Perhaps they're finally going to officially "cross the streams" and connect D&D to M:tG through some planar travel???! (I'm joking, but not entirely...)

The article said the 2 summer releases would be for hardcore fans. Not the final one at the end of the year.

The wording is all a little vague - especially broken into separate quotes in the article. For one thing, the number of things is a bit vague from "a couple settings" and "two surprises this summer" but possibly a (third?) different surprise they are announcing in July??

Also, nowhere does he state that any of these will be hardcover releases or physical products of any sort. Given the way the publishing industry works, I'd say a hardcover, or even any printed book, this summer has Zero chance of coming out. Another hardcover at the end of the year also seems unlikely at this point but that's still being debated to death elsewhere so I won't get into that. :)

Since no retailers or distributors are showing signs of other physical releases especially this summer, I'd presume Planeshift/EEPC style PDF releases. Not to mention that earlier this year Nathan Stewart said they had exciting plans for DMs Guild this year. So some PDF releases on DMs Guild as introductions to the settings in 5e (and hopefully opening up DMs Guild to 3pp products for this settings!) seems to be a lower cost and less risky way to satisfy a lot fans without competing too directly with their hardcover sales. I would be incredibly amazed if they were another hardcover(s) rather than DMs Guild PDF releases.

silentdante

Explorer
i agree with most everyone that Hell's Belle's is probly a planescape or spelljammer campaign with Holly in it because of how much she loves Sigil and planescape.

i would ALSO guess and have no authority on this, but since they brought in Matt Mercer for help on the Waterdeep book, they got Holly Conrad in to help with a planescape book, on other video's of hers she has shown she owns every planescape book ever put out, and is knowledgeable about the setting. i think the stream will have to do with a plane war, and incorporate moving between planes by the use of planescape/spelljammer. i also have it on no authority that the book will be a small spelljammer book in that it is not a "setting" anymore but a means of transportation and the multi=plane setting will all morph into Planescape itself. a joining of the spelljammer themes with the many doors of planescape idea.

as for the 2 summer things, i suspect it will be like the MTG world UA's but also open things for DMsGuild which i have never looked at and i suspect most players dont even know about, but will make hardcore fans happy because, as i have seen on here, people just want to write about those other settings.

Remove ads

Remove ads