Two New Settings For D&D This Year

if it comes out this year i would agree with you. Possibly published by a third party company that has a good reputation (Green Ronin etc) However if it’s coming next year I would stake all the money in my pockets that it will be a Curse of Strahd style book. Campaign with background and new monsters etc. Curse of Strahd was too successful not to repeat!

if it comes out this year i would agree with you. Possibly published by a third party company that has a good reputation (Green Ronin etc)

However if it’s coming next year I would stake all the money in my pockets that it will be a Curse of Strahd style book. Campaign with background and new monsters etc. Curse of Strahd was too successful not to repeat!

Without psionics up and running (and thuroly playtested), Dark Sun and Eberron are impossible this year.

Appealing to ‘hardcore’ group of fans ...

It has to be Planescape.

Mordenkainens Tomb is already the Planescape setting.

5e imposes the Forgotten Realms setting, but it is a modified Forgotten Realms. It instead uses Greyhawk races (high elf replaces Forgotten Realms moon elf, and there is no sun elf). It also adds some Nentir Vale races (tiefling and dragonborn − and the distinctive 4e wood elf that lacks Strength thus resembling the flavor of the Forgotten Realms wood elf but using the mechanics of the Forgotten Realms wild elf).

The 5e Forgotten Realms instead uses the Planescape cosmology (great wheel) but adds to it Nentir Vale cosmology (feywild and shadowfell).

The point is, the 5e Planescape setting is already here, including player races and monsters, and lore, now in Mordenkainens Tome.

Moon Elf and Sun Elf are stated to be the same thing as a High Elf, Wild Elf is a Wood Elf. This was spelled out in a few books.

Staffan

Legend
One of the Eberron races is a psionic race. The flavor of psionics is part of what makes the setting work.

And that race (Kalashtar) is connected to the psionic villain faction (the Dreaming Dark).

Look, I would like an Eberron with psionics. But I'll take one where psionics are reduced to a sidebar.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
I would assume that the new settings are going to be either Oerth and Athas or Planescape and Spelljammer, I doubt that Eberron could make an appearance, and (although it would be awesome) Aebrynis will never, NEVER be revived.

gyor

Legend
Interesting. Assuming that each glyph represents a different D&D setting of sorts (and not something else), I would guess the following.

Top Left -- lower planes . . . Planescape?
Top Right -- no idea
Right -- Grayhawk
Lower Right -- Eberron?
Bottom -- Dark Sun
Lower Left -- Dragonlance? If I squint, it kinda looks like a flag attached to a pole, fluttering in the breeze.
Left -- Mystara/Hollow World
Center -- Spelljammer?

Do we have symbols for particular settings?

GarrettKP

Explorer
Based on the spelling of “belles” I’m guessing a new streaming group, like Sirens of the Realms.

edit

After 30 seconds I thought... $5 says this is a Holly Condrad DMed Planescape game.

That already is a thing. Trapped in the Brid Cage. Unless you think she is doing 2.

Yaarel

He Mage
Moon Elf and Sun Elf are stated to be the same thing as a High Elf. This was spelled out in a few books.

The as-if ‘support’ for the Forgotten Realms sun elf is mentioned in the 5e Players Handbook. That 5e version that changes the sun elf (+2 Intelligence, +0 Dexterity, −2 Constitution) into the same thing as a high elf (+2 Dexterity, +1 Intelligence) feels wrong for the Forgotten Realms setting.

Wild Elf is a Wood Elf.

The wood elf is more complicated.

The 5e wood elf (+2 Dexterity, +1 Wisdom) represents well the Forgotten Realms wild elf (+2 Dexterity, −2 Intelligence).

But there is no Forgotten Realms wood elf (with +2 Strength), nor Greyhawk wood elf (with +1 Strength), for that matter.

In any case, the point here is, the 5e Forgotten Realms is a modification of the previous Forgotten Realms settings. And just like the races are different, the cosmology is different too.

The 5e Forgotten Realms cosmology is now the Planescape cosmology but also adds to it feywild and shadowfell.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads