• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Two Towers Protest Movement

Henry

Autoexreginated
Theatre of the Absurd, anyone?

As serious as the subject behind it is, why can't I stop grinning like an idiot when I read that page? I don't mean any disrespect, but that was without a doubt the funniest thing I've seen all day.

And I'VE just finished reading "A Lovecraft Christmas." This petition site tops even THAT!

thalmin

Retired game store owner
FotR made a lot of money. TTT should also make a lot of money. New line Cinema made a lot of money. Protest the title, then file for class action damages and make a lot of money. Seems pretty clear to me.

VorpalBunny

Explorer
Nightfall said:
Some people just don't get it. Screw sensitivity. They are DEAD!! GET OVER IT!!! *sighs* Ignorance and stupidity always upset me.

Not cool Nightfall, not cool at all. I agree totally that the petition is misplaced and rooted in ignorance, but take it from someone that was there - some things are harder to "get over" than others. :(

jdavis

First Post
You will be amazed at what people will do, and I really doubt there is any money to be made suing New line Cinema, or that this has anything to do with a actual movement, web petitions are a way people feel like they can make a difference, when in fact they are pretty worthless (any moron can generate their own, including plenty of people signing it, in minutes in Word).

What this is, is a grab for attention, somebody trying to make waves just to make them. The internet is a wonderful place for spouting off goofy crap and getting attention. Just check out the Snopes site for all the crazy stuff people will put out. Try this one out ;

"The President has asked that we unite for a common cause. Since the Islamic people cannot stand nudity, they consider it a sin to see a naked woman that is not their wife. Tonight at 7:00, all women should run out of their house naked to help weed out the terrorists. The United States appreciates your efforts, and applauds you. God bless America."

Yes there were people who actually believed this was true (if you read it on the internet it has to be true doesn't it.). If they believed this you can be sure they bought the Tolkien- terrorism link.

I love the snopes site, people can be so stupid.

http://www.snopes.com/index.html

KnowTheToe

First Post
I agree with the ban. The name is clearly offensive and calous. I believe you all should ban the movie, that way I can have a better chance of getting a good seat at the theater.

Kip the Bold

First Post
KnowTheToe said:
I agree with the ban. The name is clearly offensive and calous. I believe you all should ban the movie, that way I can have a better chance of getting a good seat at the theater.

I second that...yep, everyone should stay away from the theatre in protest until they change that horribly offensive title, so I can see it a few dozen times in an empty stadium-seating theatre...ahhh, that would be nice :)

Possible alternate names for TTT?

Those good burghers over at alt.fan.pratchett were discussing this topic earlier in the year, and came up with a number of possible titles that Peter Jackson could consider.

Although I cannot attribute these directly to individuals, a Google Groups search should find you the individuals who came up with each title.

And now for the list...

1) "A Tower, and yet another Tower"?
2) 'A Small Number of Tall Buildings'?
3) "The Three Towers, Of Which One Never Existed"?
4) "A Couple Of Very Long Bungalows On Their Sides"?
5) "One and Four Quarters Inside-Out Mine-Shafts"?
6) "The Bad, The Worse, and A Spare"
7) "The 2,000,000 bricks"
8) "The One With The Good Tower And The Bad Tower"?
9) "The Good, The Bad and The Redundant"
10) "The Bad, The Worse, and A Spare"
11) "There And Back Again: A Tourist's Guide To Orthanc From Attic To Cellar"
12) Frodo & Sam's Excellent Adventure.
13) Frodo Baggins and the Nemisis's ring
14) Day of the Orcs.
15) Ringwars, Sauron strikes back.
16) Sam'll Kill Him If He Trys Anything
17) The Life of Frodo.
18) The Quest For The Evil Mountain.
19) The Hobbit Room
20) Sauron Inc.
21) Frodo, the Evil Mastermind Slayer.
22) The Hobbit King.
23) "Twin Peaks"? No, wait, that's been taken.
24) "Episode 2: Attack of the Orcs"
25) Dude, Where's My Ring?
26) Return Of The Urki [read as a contraction of "Uruk-hai"]
27) It Sauron Way To Tipperary
28) Sauron In The Rain
29) Nazgul Down!
30) Meet Me In St Orthanc
31) Frodo's Eleven
32) Demolition Sam
33) Indiana Frodo and the Khazad of Dum
34) The Four Towers. Clears up both the WTC "controversy" and the "yes, but *which* two towers?" controversy at the same time.
35) e to the power .6931 Towers

Feel free to add to the list...

Remove ads