• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Two Towers Protest Movement

WSmith

First Post
We believe that Peter Jackson and New Line Cinema's actions are in fact hate speech. The movie is intentionally being named The Two Towers in order to capitalize on the tragedy of September 11. Clearly, you cannot deny the fact that this falls under hate speech. We believe that if they will not willingly change the name, the government should step in to stop the movie's production or to force a name change.

Hate speech! HATE SPEECH! I bet this is the same kook who had a website some years back claiming Tolkien to be a racist, because the Haradrim, or the "races to the south and east who serve Sauron" were described as having darker skin than those men of he north, HENCE since Sauron was evil that those of darker skin were evil according to Tolkien!?!?! :rolleyes:

BUNK, I SAY!!!

Not to mention, the Two Towers predates the construction of the WTC by ABOUT 20 YEARS!!!! What, did JRR stare into the Palantir and say, "a terrible tragady will happen 50+ years from now, and I can capitalize on it by calling the book the Two Towers."

Man I need some of the good old Nutkinland Smiles to express my opinion on this one.

Victim

First Post
Even if it was an attempt to capitalize on the diaster, I don't see how that would be hate speech.

But hate speech stuff is just an attack on the bill of rights anyway.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
By that logic we should also move any memorial services out of New York, since "NY, NY" is a vague reminder of two similar things next to one another... ;)

Mark said:
By that logic we should also move any memorial services out of New York, since "NY, NY" is a vague reminder of two similar things next to one another... ;)

Here, Here, my good man! That! is an idea!

"that which occured which should be unamed" hrm.. nice ring to it....

joe b.

DWARF

First Post
I must also come to Nightfall's defense. True, it may be harsh but despite the sentiments' packaging, the sentiment is true. Tragedies happen and we will grieve for a time. But life must go on.

My Grandfather recently died in a highway car collision. Does that mean I should crusade to abolish car accidents in movies, to deny my loss? No.

I think George Bernard Shaw put it best, "Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Last edited:

Rashak Mani

First Post
Sad that people waste so much effort protesting stuff like this... especially when they should be protesting what politicians are doing....

Movies are always easy targets for criticism.

The It's Man

Explorer
from their website
The name (...) will undoubtedly cause a return of the emotions felt on Sept 11th which left so many people in the nation feeling stunned and in a state of shock.

Shouldn't they have named their protest movement "A Tower, and yet another Tower"-protest... or something like that?

Remove ads