D&D General Two underlying truths: D&D heritage and inclusivity

Mercurius

Legend
I wanted to start a new thread to explore a specific element of recent discussions around D&D races that I think has the potential to at least encourage some kind of integration.

As I see it, there are two core truths or meanings that are underlying the two "sides" in the ongoing debate that, if we tease them out from the more extreme variants, are both quite reasonable (with the caveat that I don't like the idea of "two-sidedness," and find this polarization to be a major part of the problem):

1) D&D Heritage. D&D heritage, as a whole, is meaningful and should be preserved, including the act of creative imagination for its own sake, and the nature of fantasy as distinct from reality.

2) Inclusivity.
The D&D game should be welcoming and inclusive to anyone who wants to play it, no matter their ethnicity, gender, sexual preference or identity, ideology, disability, etc.

If we start from looking at those two points, I think it would be difficult to find that--taken on their own--they aren't both meaningful and valid, and worthy of consideration.

Most of the disagreements seem to stem from adherents of either position feeling that the other position in some way undermines their chosen position. This thread is based on the premise that this doesn't need to be the case--that there are ways to integrate both positions, to both preserve D&D heritage and continue to increase inclusiveness.

Now how that can be done is debatable. But if we start from a place of agreement that both are valuable, and most importantly, that both can be integrated into a broader framework, then I think tremendous progress can be made. There probably (definitely) isn't a way to please everyone, and most of us will likely have to bend or adapt our perspective to varying degrees, depending upon how extreme we are one way or the other.

Some questions to be explored could be:

1) Do you agree that both "truths" are important and worth acknowledging and nourishing? If not, why not? If so, then...

2) How to do so in a way that preserves/nourishes the core of both? What can and should be sacrificed? What shouldn't be?

3) If you adhere to one side or the other, what sort of concessions on your part do you feel are reasonable? What are not reasonable?

I have my own ideas on this that I've shared in other threads, but would rather leave it as open-ended, and engage as the discussion goes forward.

While everyone is free to participate however they choose, I would only ask that you at least consider the importance of both views.

TheSword

Legend
How can you make concessions around inclusivity? It sounds like gatekeeping. You’re either welcoming of people or you aren’t.

Heritage has value. But heritage is a bad reason not to change something that’s causing a problem.

Also changing things going forward doesn’t erase heritage... we can appreciate the good and even remember parts of the history that aren’t so salubrious. That’s history... and progress.

Well, are not the "truths" just Heritage= no change and Insclusivity = change everything?

Is not D&D all ready Inclusive? Anyone can be anything: noting more needs to be said ever.

Is there more to this debate I'm missing?

No. Tradition = No Change

Heritage is somewhere in between Tradition and Change/Inclusivity

Heritage should be remembered, both the good and the bad. The good to keep doing it and the bad to avoid doing it again.

Mercurius

Legend
Well, are not the "truths" just Heritage= no change and Insclusivity = change everything?

Is not D&D all ready Inclusive? Anyone can be anything: noting more needs to be said ever.

Is there more to this debate I'm missing?

I think that is one angle on it, at least in extreme forms. I haven't personally encountered anyone who is absolute either way, though. Meaning, advocates of inclusivity aren't saying "change everything," but just a matter of degrees of what should be changed. "Heritagists" (or perhaps traditionalists) aren't saying "absolutely no changes," but just trying to minimize changes.

Mercurius

Legend
How can you make concessions around inclusivity? It sounds like gatekeeping. You’re either welcoming of people or you aren’t.

Heritage has value. But heritage is a bad reason not to change something that’s causing a problem.

Also changing things going forward doesn’t erase heritage... we can appreciate the good and even remember parts of the history that aren’t so salubrious. That’s history... and progress.

You can make concessions on how it is implemented, that maybe your way (in the general sense of "you") isn't the only way to accomplish your goals.

At some point you have to exclude those who refuse to change, though. Do you want to be so inclusive that you have a table with a Leftist and an Alt-right and an LGBT ally and a homophobe, etc?

Remove ads