D&D 5E Two vs. thousands

Derren

Hero
But what if the orcs were smart enough to see this coming and cast Hallow with Extradimensional Interference?

That just adds another round to cast a high powered dispell magic as Hallow prevents you from teleporting out, not in. Forbiddance would work.

Oofta

Legend
That just adds another round to cast a high powered dispell magic as Hallow prevents you from teleporting out, not in. Forbiddance would work.

You'd have to get there first. Easy enough to do I suppose.

But whether or not you could dispel a Hallow without targeting the point of origin is another debate (we haven't allowed it, but I can see it being a DM's call).

Forbiddance would also work of course. I had recently used Hallowed in a temple with a similar situation - by using Hallow I could exclude people who weren't followers of the BBEG without use of a password which could always be stolen. They also had a simple test - a teleportation circle to get to the inner sanctum the PCs will have to figure a way around.

ProphetSword

Explorer
Just get Groo the Wanderer. He can definitely wipe out an army of orcs all by himself. Of course, he is also likely to wipe out the hostages as well. Groo does what Groo does best!

Derren

Hero
You'd have to get there first. Easy enough to do I suppose.

But whether or not you could dispel a Hallow without targeting the point of origin is another debate (we haven't allowed it, but I can see it being a DM's call).

Forbiddance would also work of course. I had recently used Hallowed in a temple with a similar situation - by using Hallow I could exclude people who weren't followers of the BBEG without use of a password which could always be stolen. They also had a simple test - a teleportation circle to get to the inner sanctum the PCs will have to figure a way around.

Unless there was a ruling about it Hallow only affects creatures once they are inside. So teleporting in would be possible.

Oofta

Legend
Unless there was a ruling about it Hallow only affects creatures once they are inside. So teleporting in would be possible.

We may have been running it wrong for a while now. :)

It also depends on how you run dispel magic. If anything short of an antimagic zone could be removed by simply casting dispel magic at a sufficiently high level anywhere in the area of effect then no magic anywhere (in the book) could stop teleportation/plane shift. Forbiddance would not stop you from teleporting to the edge of the zone, dispelling it and then teleporting where you need to go.

I like to make my solutions a little more difficult.

merwins

Explorer
Keep in mind you have Very powerful spells at that level. You could cast Antipathy (Orcs) on your robe.

I missed this the first time around. Much thanks to @schnee for highlighting it. And thanks for posting it.

This is EXACTLY the solution I'm looking for. It's a time-constrained solution to the PCs problem that doesn't absolve them from participating in the rescue, either by putting them on the sidelines or making them superfluous. Perhaps more importantly, it's not a peak ability.

I can accomplish this with a 15th-lvl wiz! That's phenomenal. My world is pretty low-power, so high-level characters are few and far between.

The orcs have some non-orc creatures accompanying them and other non-orcs under their control, but they're not going to be sophisticated (or stationary) enough to rely on Hallow, Forbiddance, or other spell defenses. On the other hand, not all the hostages will be in the same place, so the PCs will need to be somewhat daring to rescue all of them. An Antipathy robe will be incredibly helpful.

And, for general illumination, we are dealing with an open-air situation. Not as bad as a sports stadium, but the analogy is apropos. Lots of orc campsites surrounding a central camp with more powerful action and resources, and of course, the hostages. My "Tears of Grummsh" (groups/tribes of roughly 50-100 orcs) trickle off the main Eye to scout and forage, returning to the main mass with food, slaves and information.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases