• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Two-Weapon Defense

Ranger REG

Explorer
OR you can go back to using 3e Off-Hand Parry feat, which offers a +2 dodge bonus (across the board), but you have to sacrifice your off-hand attack(s) (that means you need to take a full attack action in order to have the extra off-hand attack to sacrifice).

But why limit yourself? :D

FoxWander

Adventurer
So is it possible to fight with a Rapier in one hand, while holding a dagger in the other strictly for defensive purposes without having to take a bunch of feats to do it? I ask because rapier and main gauche is a classic swashbuckler combat style and if I'm only using the off-hand weapon to block (as you would a buckler) it seems kinda ridiculous to require 2 feats to get a simple +1 to your AC because of it.

Alchemist

First Post
FoxWander said:
So is it possible to fight with a Rapier in one hand, while holding a dagger in the other strictly for defensive purposes without having to take a bunch of feats to do it? I ask because rapier and main gauche is a classic swashbuckler combat style and if I'm only using the off-hand weapon to block (as you would a buckler) it seems kinda ridiculous to require 2 feats to get a simple +1 to your AC because of it.

Did classic swashbucklers focus their training on their distinctive 2-weapon style, or did every Jimmy-ne'r-do-well fight that way? I would venture a guess that they trained hard, and that 2 feats to fight in such a manner isn't a heavy burden to pay.

Edit: As an aside, if you're using your off hand weapon as a purely defensive device, never to prod anybody offensively, is it anything more than a buckler with flavour text?

Last edited:

Ranger REG

Explorer
FoxWander said:
Actually, one feat and a Dex prereq. It gives you a +1 to your AC without further affecting your two-weapon fighting (i.e., making that extra off-hand attack -- try that with a small shield), or +2 to your AC if you opt for Fighting Defensively (can be used with standard attack or full attack) or Total Defense (the same bonus as a large shield without carrying such a bulky item).

FoxWander

Adventurer
Actually, one feat and a Dex prereq.
If you're talking about Two-Weapon Defense, then it has a prereq of Two-Weapon Fighting. So that's two feats (and the Dex) to get an effect that is functionally the same as, as Alchemist put it, "a buckler with flavour text". And actually it's a lesser effect than a buckler because you couldn't block missiles with it unless you had 2 more feats- Deflect arrows and it's prereq, Imp. Unarmed Strike. :rolleyes:

Does this strike anyone else as slightly ridiculous? Sure you could just say "then just use a buckler- as you've pointed out it's better anyway" and you'd be right. But it doen't have the same style as a rapier and main gauche! :cool: Looks like it's house rule time.

Darklone

I think the feat is weak enough because it gives you just a puny damage increase and no possibility to raise the AC bonus compared to a spiked shield.

Ranger REG

Explorer
FoxWander said:
If you're talking about Two-Weapon Defense, then it has a prereq of Two-Weapon Fighting. So that's two feats (and the Dex) to get an effect that is functionally the same as, as Alchemist put it, "a buckler with flavour text". And actually it's a lesser effect than a buckler because you couldn't block missiles with it unless you had 2 more feats- Deflect arrows and it's prereq, Imp. Unarmed Strike. :rolleyes:

Does this strike anyone else as slightly ridiculous? Sure you could just say "then just use a buckler- as you've pointed out it's better anyway" and you'd be right. But it doen't have the same style as a rapier and main gauche! :cool: Looks like it's house rule time.
Hmm. Well, I confessed that I'm looking at the SRD 3.5e description of the TWD, and it does NOT mentioned that it is limited to defending melee attacks only. All it says, "+1 shield bonus to AC, +2 shield bonus to AC when fighting defensively or total defense." No restriction.

CrimsonTemplar

First Post
I'd say that if both weapons are in hand they are "wielded" and therefore the +1 shield bonus to AC applies. As it states that if you are fighting defensively the bonus goes up to +2 it should effectively be "always on" as long as both weapons are in hand. Since you're using a Feat up for a mere +1 Shield bonus I think it should apply in every situation a buckler would (ie against ranged and flat-footed attacks).

Vraister

First Post
Have you ever seen 'Robin Hood - Men in Tights'?
One of the characters uses his two daggers to cut an arrow shot at his face in tiny pieces!
Quit a nice picture for Two-Weapon Defense!
Vraister

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads